Foods to reach caloric goal

Options
Hi! Trying to reduce my carb intake to 30% of my daily calorie need which is 1300 at the moment. Im down to try it since I probably am eating too many carbs, but I'm struggling to think of what foods to eat to still reach my calories. What does everyone like to eat that doesn't have carbs in it? I can do around 93gs a day and wanted to know if I'm confined to eggs & chicken

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Any particular reason for trying to cut down on carbs? Like low-carb or keto? Looking into those ways of eating could give you some idea of low-carb options, but if there's no real need then just eat foods you like (carbs included).
  • fitdadclay
    fitdadclay Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have my carbs at 25-30% but my calories are 3,500-4,000 so I still get a decent amount of carbs.
    But I do a cup of vegetables every meal & and ounce of nuts. Keep your meat source high and try to do under a half cup dry carb. All your meats are going to be low in carbs to non, so you have a lot of options there-
    Ground sirloin 93-7
    Ground turkey 93-7
    Tuna
    Cod
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    Turkey
    Pork chops
    Eggs
    Lentils
    Steak- top round
    Chick peas
    —hope that helps
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Even if you're going low carb (which you don't have to to lose weight) - what is "too many carbs", and why, and how can you tell it's "too many" - you don't have to avoid foods that contain carbs, you just eat more of foods with less carbs, and less of high carb foods.
    Foods high in carbs is typically fruit, grains and starchy vegetables, and sweets.
    Food high in fat is well, fat and oils, fatty meat (and fish), nuts and seeds.
    Foods high in protein is lean meat, eggs, fish, beans (but they are also high in carbs).
    A healthy diet is more about balance and variety, than getting carbs as low as possible. A balanced and varied diet is also easier to stick to, good to have in mind if you have a long term goal.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When people reduce carbs they will increase fat and protein: avocados, bacon, macadamias, almonds, eggs, cheese, full fat dairy, salmon, tuna, broccoli, broccoli rabe, asparagus, butter, hummus, coconut, salmon, edamame, olives, pork chops.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    why do you think you are eatign too many carbs?

I avg 350-450g a day and weight stable/losing very slightly...Carbs make up over 50% of my daily intake (protein is 145g and fats in the 65-80g range)
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I avg 350-450g a day and weight stable/losing very slightly...Carbs make up over 50% of my daily intake (protein is 145g and fats in the 65-80g range)

I just feel like I'm not losing 1lb each week and thought carbs might be the culprit. Before I was eating less than 114g a day of carbs. I just don't know how many grams a day is needed to be considered"low carb" I weigh 156 right now for reference
  • digidoomed
    Options
    Even if you're going low carb (which you don't have to to lose weight) - what is "too many carbs", and why, and how can you tell it's "too many" - you don't have to avoid foods that contain carbs, you just eat more of foods with less carbs, and less of high carb foods.
    Foods high in carbs is typically fruit, grains and starchy vegetables, and sweets.
    Food high in fat is well, fat and oils, fatty meat (and fish), nuts and seeds.
    Foods high in protein is lean meat, eggs, fish, beans (but they are also high in carbs).
    A healthy diet is more about balance and variety, than getting carbs as low as possible. A balanced and varied diet is also easier to stick to, good to have in mind if you have a long term goal.

I feel like I'm eating too many carbs because I usually end up at 114g for rhe day. Sorry if that doesn't sound like much, but honestly I'm still learning and I didn't know if eating that many carbs a day was slowing my weight loss. I pretty much eat the same thing everyday because I'm a creature of habit and it'll usually be a turkey burger on wheat for lunch, whatever my meal preps are which usually don't have more than 40g carbs, and then I have my snacks throughout the day like yogurt,a protein bar(20g carbs), or whatever else I snack on like baked chips or crackers, etc. Im supposed to eat 1300 cals a day and sometimes I get flustered because I feel I reach my macros for carbs so fast
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

On a 1300 kcal diet, if OP consumes 30% of calories in carbs, there's only enough calories left for around 100 g of protein and 55 to 60 g of fats. Assuming OP weighs as little as 120 lbs (and most people who need to lose weight weigh considerably more), 30% carbs is going to seem like a necessary limit if you ascribe to the x g/lb of BW formulas typically cited by MFPers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    digidoomed wrote: »

I just feel like I'm not losing 1lb each week and thought carbs might be the culprit. Before I was eating less than 114g a day of carbs. I just don't know how many grams a day is needed to be considered"low carb" I weigh 156 right now for reference

You just lose more water initially...after that it's just like anything else.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring to know that you are actually eating 1300 calories (which sounds really low, btw). Are you using a scale and verifying that you are using correct entries in MFP?
  • digidoomed
    Options

On a 1300 kcal diet, if OP consumes 30% of calories in carbs, there's only enough calories left for around 100 g of protein and 55 to 60 g of fats. Assuming OP weighs as little as 120 lbs (and most people who need to lose weight weigh considerably more), 30% carbs is going to seem like a necessary limit if you ascribe to the x g/lb of BW formulas typically cited by MFPers.

I weigh 156
  • digidoomed
    edited April 2018
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    How are you measuring to know that you are actually eating 1300 calories (which sounds really low, btw). Are you using a scale and verifying that you are using correct entries in MFP?

I have a food scale I use and I do check the items I scan are correct in MFP. Also, 1300 calories is what MFP gave me when I entered my weight and my goals
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Definitely lose the bar!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I eat lower carb by choice. I just prefer other foods to high carb stuff. If your taste preference is for more protein/fat/veggie then go with that. But, if you like carbs, then eat them. Some of my meals look like -

6oz chicken, 1/2 tbsp oil, grilled asparagus and mushroom, marinara sauce, feta cheese
    4oz filet mignon, 1/2 tbsp oil, roasted brussel sprouts with 1 hard boiled egg
    4 oz salmon, 1/2 tbsp oil, roasted cauliflower, curry, and chilled zucchini/tomato salad
    6 oz shrimp, 1/2 tbsp oil, roasted broccoli, red pepper and carrot, teriyaki sauce