Always wanted to be a runner...

Options
2»

Replies

• vannie_loves_donuts
    Options
    I can definitely sympathize - to me there has always been something so attractive about the _idea_ of being a runner. But what I lack is the motivation to actually _go_ run. I've done the C25K program and it was ok, but running was still just "meh" for me.

If that's a struggle you can understand, maybe what you need is something to increase your motivation. For me, nothing works so well as competition! I started playing sports (soccer and ultimate frisbee) and I NEEDED those daily runs (in the evening - I'm inhuman in the morning) to increase my stamina so that I could be competitive on the field. An alternate idea, if that kind of competitiveness isn't your jam, is to either find a running buddy who is in a similar predicament to help keep you motivated, or sign up for a run where you pay $$ to register ahead of time - then you HAVE to train for the run or else lose your $$ (with the fallback plan of just walking the run if all else fails).

Best of luck finding what works for you in your quest to become one of *those* kinds of people who goes on runs ;) I found that I never fell in love with running like I'd always dreamed of, but I finally got to the point where I at least sort of like it.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    Im training for my 3rd marathon, and although I do not hate running so much anymore, I still dont like it. It started off with a friend convincing me to run a marathon with her. I tried being a runner 5 years ago, but only could do like 1-2 mile runs, and I did one 5 mile race and quit. just over a year ago a friend convinced me to run a marathon with her, and since I dedicated myself to that, it seemed easier.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I'll throw this out there since I've seen a couple posts from folks who ran longer distances right away. My advice is don't do it. Stick with the program. If you go to far too fast your risk of injury increases dramatically. What folks don't realize is running injuries normally don't occur suddenly. You won't notice it until you do. Then it is generally too late.

Get on a program and stick with it. Enjoy the process.

Good luck.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I started at 230 pounds, and have nw run 47 marathons. The key is to start slow and easy, to build easily over time, and fall in love with running, I focus on the joy of running and not speed.
  • SErickson2018
    SErickson2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    mabearof6 wrote: »
    Do you feel you struggle mentally or physically with running?

I would say a little bit of both. But now, I haven’t smoked for 5 years I feel like my breathing has gotten 10 times better but motivation is my killer.

I love working out and being at the gym but getting up and getting there is my biggest hurtle.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    Im training for my 3rd marathon, and although I do not hate running so much anymore, I still dont like it. It started off with a friend convincing me to run a marathon with her. I tried being a runner 5 years ago, but only could do like 1-2 mile runs, and I did one 5 mile race and quit. just over a year ago a friend convinced me to run a marathon with her, and since I dedicated myself to that, it seemed easier.

My best friend is the same way. She regularly runs 10Ks and half marathons and runs 9 miles for her "normal" running workout, but she'll still tell you she doesn't like running. She just does it. I don't get it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I started at 230 pounds, and have nw run 47 marathons. The key is to start slow and easy, to build easily over time, and fall in love with running, I focus on the joy of running and not speed.

How heavy were you when you ran your first marathon? I'm ~200 and looking at a half in June (although I did 18K last Sunday), but am thinking about a full in October.

Just curious.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I can completely sympathize. I love those photos and scenes where you see someone just out there loving their run, and I want that.

Reality has always been that I hate every second of it. Indoor, outdoor, trail, city streets - HATE it.

Now, physically, I can't really run so the option has been removed for me (tib/fib pilon fracture left me with limited dorsiflexion - I can hobble jog, but can't really run).

So I stick to what I DO enjoy and if I'm having a "wish I was a runner" moment, I remember what it was actually like, and suddenly miss it a LOT less!