Anyone abstained from favourite foods for a while?

2»

Replies

• Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Potato chips. They are my absolute favorite and since I'm new to the whole logging and counting thing, I'm trying to get that down before I figure out how to fit potato chips back into my life. I can have one small premium chocolate or a small scoop of really good full fat ice cream and walk away happy - I spent most of last year living in Europe for work and really learned the importance of quality vs quantity, but I'm powerless when it comes to potato chips. Eventually I'll add them back but probably no time soon.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2018
    There are certain things I just don't keep around, or only buy in single servings. I'm an out of sight, out of mind person. If those things aren't around, I'm generally not tempted to go out and get them, so this is workable for me.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    I don't abstain as such, but there are several foods, that I don't buy in to the house, if I eat them, I eat them when dining out or at a friends, because there are some that I have yet to be able to moderate, like fresh bread, if it's at home you be(u)tter believe the whole thing is being eaten.

Mmmm, butter on homemade bread...yeah, we can't make that at home very often. Same with batches of cookies and brownies. I just enjoyed one big fat brownie at lunch at a friend's house this past weekend. I figured why not enjoy it, because it's too dangerous to make a batch at home.

So yes, I do refrain from buying certain things or making certain things at home, but I might still enjoy it out since I know the amount is limited. Bags of chips at our house--no. A handful of chips on a Cub Scout sponsored campout--sure!
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    I stay away from peanut butter. I used to binge on it. Unfortunately, my older son will only eat peanut butter sandwiches for lunch, so we always have it in the house but I abstain bc I can't control myself.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    I do not abstain really from any food. I can have all my favorite foods in the house and eat a little bit and I am good. My problem is when I give myself to loosen up a little I go crazy and I will graze all day. Those are also times when i do not weigh what I eat. As long as i weigh foods at home the reality of the calories keeps me in check,
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I can't have tortilla chips around.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    edited April 2018
    I only discovered my uncontrollable fondness for Nutella after I started trying to lose weight. Nevertheless, it's banned.

During many of my IDGAF days of eating too much of anything at hand, I'd include (since I already didn't care) a sandwich of peanut butter and syrup on bread. That was something I have always regarded as a conspicuously decadent calorie bomb, even back when I was careless and proud of it.

A curious thing happened yesterday. I had recently purchased a cute little expensive jug of maple syrup. I didn't have a plan for it. It was cute.
    Anyway, I got home with it and still didn't have a plan.
    So, last night I got home and fixed my dinner. I had some asparagus that was getting old so I intended to stir fry some of whatever was at hand in order to hasten the consumption of the asparagus. After finishing supper, I had my usual snacks of a bowl of sugar-free ice cream and a granola bar. I still had nearly 400 calories remaining. It occurred to me that I could probably fit a decadent sandwich into those calories. 11 grams of maple syrup, 20 grams of natural chunky peanut butter, stirred together well and spread on a slice of white bread with another on top costs 344 calories. The curious thing is that I didn't need to proceed from there to eating everything. I finished my diary within my budget and logged a loss this morning.

So, now I have a plan for that expensive little jug of maple syrup.