I ran my first 5K!

Options
I started my journey to getting healthy on April 1 of 2012. To date I have lost almost 90 pounds. I decided a few months ago I would start running a little bit. This past Saturday the 3rd, a day before I am officially in my mid 40's, I ran my first 5K. My goal was not to win, but to finish and run the entire race. I did it! My time was slow, just over 42 minutes, but I paced myself. Crossing the finish line to the cheers of the other runners and my family was so motivating! I had tears knowing that I had done what I set out to do. If you are running and thinking of entering a race DO IT! I have such a sense of accomplishment now and more motivated than ever to lose the extra 60 pounds that I want to lose.

This picture is me on the left when I started my jouney 90 pounds heavier and the right before the race started. My next 45 years will be the healthiest I've ever been :happy:

f38bff8a-d9fd-41b7-a770-6aad4f186320_zps91d711d4.jpg

Replies

• christy3565
    Options
    Thank you and I can't figure out how to get the pic there lol.
  • starmickey03
    starmickey03 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started my journey to getting healthy on April 1 of 2012. To date I have lost almost 90 pounds. I decided a few months ago I would start running a little bit. This past Saturday the 3rd, a day before I am officially in my mid 40's, I ran my first 5K. My goal was not to win, but to finish and run the entire race. I did it! My time was slow, just over 42 minutes, but I paced myself. Crossing the finish line to the cheers of the other runners and my family was so motivating! I had tears knowing that I had done what I set out to do. If you are running and thinking of entering a race DO IT! I have such a sense of accomplishment now and more motivated than ever to lose the extra 60 pounds that I want to lose.

This picture is me on the left when I started my jouney 90 pounds heavier and the right before the race started. My next 45 years will be the healthiest I've ever been :happy:

IMG_0019_zps3a79f9d3.jpg

Fixed the pic for you! ;-)

And that is awesome! I envy people who run lol
  • DumePoint
    Options
    Awesome Job! Hello my name is Jonna. I to am thinking about running a 5K. I am just starting out and was wondering how you began training? Did you have a routine? Any info would be great...and again fantasic job!
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Congratulations! Job well done!!
  • christy3565
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Jonna I did the C25K app. LOVED it. When I started I couldn't run a block but I did the 3 miles. That app is perfect as it builds you up slowly to run the 5K
  • christy3565
    Options
    Thanks! I can not get this pic to post on my original post. Must be the work computer, certainly not me lol
  • toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    congrats on your race and your amazing progress!

isn't it a thrill, running a race?? lol. i ran my first race on new years eve of last year and it was only a 2-miler but i was hooked!! i've run two 5k's since then. it's addicting
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    YOU GO CHICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    first of all you look fabulous! second of all congrats on your run....my first is this Thursday and I am now starting to get nervous so you are officially my hero as a veteran 5K'er that I can look up to !!!!!!!!! :drinker:
  • christy3565
    Options
    I can see myself getting addicted to these really fast. I think it's going to be much easier when I reach my goal weight too.

I am running a color run in a couple of weeks. THAT is going to be a blast! lol
  • christy3565
    Options
    Thank you and good luck! You are going to LOVE it! You know running with everyone the miles didn't seem as long as when I'm running alone. Crossing that finish line? BEST. FEELING. EVER!!!
  • lexibelk
    lexibelk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Nice work! I remember that feeling!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job! Hello my name is Jonna. I to am thinking about running a 5K. I am just starting out and was wondering how you began training? Did you have a routine? Any info would be great...and again fantasic job!

Look into C25K. There are all kinds of apps and podcasts for it. I am just about to finish it and so far so good. Plus there is a group on the forums that is dedicated to it, so lots of support and information.

To the OP, congrats! That must be an amazing feeling and you should be so proud of yourself.
  • P3MK
    P3MK Posts: 23
    Options
    Well done, and you look amazing!
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I can see myself getting addicted to these really fast. I think it's going to be much easier when I reach my goal weight too.

I am running a color run in a couple of weeks. THAT is going to be a blast! lol

Well done! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :smile:

You are going to love the Color Run!
    PS: Wear some Eye Protection for the Color Run!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Good job ! I can't waite for the weather to break so I can run some 5 -k this fall !
  • kmellinger109
    kmellinger109 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    YAY for you!!!!! You should be SO proud of yourself. I also just recently ran my first 5k. I know how great I felt when I crossed that finish line. I never thought I would make it past that 5k mark but I just ran 5 miles last week. I now have hopes of running a 10k very soon. Keep up the hard work and never give up!
  • liormintz
    liormintz Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Your amazing and i know exactly how it feels I'm in the same boat myself a month ago i ran for the first time in my life 5km and 3 days ago i made 10 KM it was hard i finished it limping but i made it ......I don't know you but I'm very proud of you.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I've got my first one scheduled for October. Can't wait!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!