Always go beyond 1300 cal a day :(

Options
2»

Replies

• triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I’m at 1,200 a day and it is hard. Try planning ahead for a few days and see how that does. Calculate in advanced the calories you expect to eat that day and see where/when you are going over. Without looking at your diary, there’s not many suggestions on food replacements
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. When your calorie amount to lose weight is that low it is hard to stick with it. The only solution is to eat lower calorie foods to fill yourself up, like tons of veggies, lean protein, soups, etc. Soup is good because of the amount of water content. If you make a veggie soup that you enjoy try eating that before your main meal once or twice a day. It will be low in calories but somewhat filling. I eat lots of cucumbers, pickles, carrots, and other low calorie foods as well.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    OP, I have about 10 lbs to lose and my level is set at 1410 calories and I'm having trouble sticking too it also. I am weighing everything. Everyday I do go over just about. I think I've had 3 days in the past 3 weeks where I stayed inside that goal. It is very, very hard for me and I've tried all sorts of combinations. On average, I'd say I eating about 1500-1600. It feels like I'm just maintaining. Hopefully I see some downward movement. I'll live with the VERY slow weight loss I guess with 1500-1600 calories. It's probably going to equate to 1/2 lb a month.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead really helps. Pre-package your food to control the portions. Also, try to be more active so you can eat a bit more. Going for a walk during lunch or after work can make a big difference. It burns calories, increases metabolism, and keeps you busy so you're not thinking about being hungry.

I pre-plan my meals and snacks the day before. I plan about 150-200 under my target so I can have an extra snack or two if I'm hungry.

I pack breakfast and lunch for work everyday and only take the food I planned. If I'm hungry I'll have plain coffee or tea. It's enough to hold me over until I get home, and by then the hunger is usually subsided.

Good luck to you!
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I’ll assume 1300 is a reasonable goal for you - mine is 1200 and that is perfectly reasonable for me.

My question would be, what are you eatting?

It is true that when you’re calorie counting you can eat anything you like, provided you stick to your calorie goal. That means you can eat cake and cookies if you want, but if your goal is 1300 cals you’ll pretty unhappy as you won’t get many portions.

Focus on eating low calorie foods and you need not go hungry. Make veggies the center of every meal. You can have a lot! Then add in protein based on your preferences. If you want carbs add those too (if you don’t add them you won’t miss out as veggies have plenty of carbs in them).

Whatever you’re eatting, make veggies the main attraction and you’ll find 1300 cals goes a long way.

If you have a sweet-tooth have low calorie options in your house - sugar free jelly/jello, low calorie ice cream etc- so when you need something sweet you have a low calorie option on hand to beat the craving.

My last tip would be plan your meals. When you have s plan you don’t need to make choices. It’s much easier to follow the plan than it is to make a good choice when you’re hungry!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to get a few hundred exercise calories and have another meal than to eat at less than 1500. For me, 1500 is the cutoff between feeling miserable and feeling pretty content, and it's not that hard to burn 300 calories with moderate to intense exercise.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Try planning your day's meals in advance and only eat what you planned.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    That's an agressive deficit for so few pounds/kg to lose. Consider only lose .25 kg or 1/2 lb. per week, and upping your calories to 1500-1550. You are eating that anyway. You might as well make it official and stop beating yourself up about it. You will still lose but slower. Or you can fiddle around with what you are eating to feel less hungry, but with so little weight to lose, it would be easier to eat more and lose slower, or eat more and exercise.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me 1300 but with my activity level I can eat 2000 and still lose.

That being said, I'm often still hungry too. The lower you go, the hardest it is.
  • ulookfabulous135
    ulookfabulous135 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ane1027, I sympathize with you. My old diets stopped working and I felt hungry all the time. I tried, and tried but always killed my scant progress with a spate of binge eating. Firstly for you: If you exercise, you can also eat your exercise calories. More aerobic exercise should help you loose 10 pounds quickly. Other advice: I had to start eating more fat and as few carbs as I could. (I don't mean butter. I mean 300 mg Omega-3 eggs. Good choices high in nutritional benefits.). Carbs convert to energy and burn up quickly. It causes a blood sugar spike that leaves you wanting after the sugar is gone. Fat converts to energy more slowly, avoiding the blood sugar roller-coaster that leaves you feeling hungry. I agree with lutzsher that it is easier to manage nutritional values of food if you prepare your own meals which requires planning ahead. Fortunately, the change in diet I describe is quickly revealed to be helpful . . . or not.
  • dlhatch67
    dlhatch67 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    One thing that hasn't been said so far is the need to drink water. Being thirsty can sometimes mimic hunger. Along with ensuring you get enough protein (hitting your macros), you need to keep your fluid levels up. This is especially important after exercise when you might be tempted to scarf down an extra meal.
  • nikkichenlife
    nikkichenlife Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tried to eat more fulfilling foods and lots of fiber. Carrots, spinach, shirataki noodles and tofus, boiled eggs and oatmeal are all very helpful. I also cook a lot of soup as it tends to be lower in calories than fried foods. If I say want to make chicken katsu, I choose to bake it in the oven instead of deep frying.

For snacks, I settle with fruits and carrot / zucchini baked sticks.

With these food choices, I am able to keep mine under 1,200 calories.

Hope this helps!