Advise on Moving Forward

Options
I had success weight lost in the past but always failed after below 160lbs. I started dieting again back in Oct 2017, follow a low-carb diet. I lost more than 30 lbs pretty fast and was at 156lbs on Feb 10. However the past two month, I have been struggling a lot the I no longer feel like I was in total control like in the early month, some days I'll be doing well but then I would give in to cravings, sometime eating way over calorie budget, or sometime eat too much high-carb food. I had gained back to 159lbs a few time. Last week, I did well and now I am at 154lbs, but I am not sure how to maintain these. My ideal weight is 120lbs since I am only 5'3, but my first goal is to reach and maintain 140lbs for a while. It seem like my body is set my weight at 160lbs and everytime I try to go below that, I am struggling really hard. Please let me know if you have similar experience and any advise on how I should keep going.

Replies

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I started at 237.. Began to run and also watched my carbs.
    I got down to 133 and got lazy.
    I am now back to 163 as of this morning. It is hard to maintain that life if you are not exactly in the correct mindset and it seems so much harder than the 1st time, this go around.
    I watch my carbs but I am not as strict with them. I am more strict with just watching what I am intaking and getting my body moving a bit daily.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    lutzsher wrote: »
    Any weight lost FAST is sure to come back unfortunately. I have lost my weight a few times in my life and always gained it back because I viewed it as a "diet", low carb, keto, whatever . . . a diet is a bad word in my books now.
    You cannot go on a "diet" and then think you can go back to your "real life". If you want to be something, like 140 lbs and healthier then you have to live your life like that from now on.
    Losing weight is not a temporary thing, which is why people rebound and put the weight back on. You need to come to terms with the fact that you need to make some LIFE LONG changes and keep those changes for life if you want to be that person for the rest of your life.
    Our bodies have good memory. If you have been overweight then it is even more important to be diligent with your choices because your body always wants to go back to what it is used to. It takes a number of years for your body to adapt and to catch up.
    I made the decision to change my life to better health and now I no longer mourn all the things that I "gave up" to be healthy and thin . . . instead I celebrate the incredible way I feel and look, the added confidence I have gained, and especially all of the added years to my life that I have now. It feels like I have received the best gift of all and I no longer mourn the loss of a few foods or drinks that I will never consume again. I love myself again after losing over 80 lbs and that is too precious to me to even think about going back to the person I used to be.
    Every morning I get up and I read the note I have posted . . . I create myself with the choices I make every day.

Get up with purpose every day and make this promise to yourself because you are worth it!!!

Great reply :smile:
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I never decided to go full keto because I know that is not sustainable for me. When I am going well, I do reward myself with sweets(1 piece of chocolate, half a cookie, or spoonful of cake ect, around 60Kcal), and I would feel satisfied. But now, I had a bite I would want more. So starting last week I am trying to be more strict with carb and hope this will help curve cravings.
  • skinnyjingbb
    Options
    lutzsher wrote: »
    Any weight lost FAST is sure to come back unfortunately. I have lost my weight a few times in my life and always gained it back because I viewed it as a "diet", low carb, keto, whatever . . . a diet is a bad word in my books now.
    You cannot go on a "diet" and then think you can go back to your "real life". If you want to be something, like 140 lbs and healthier then you have to live your life like that from now on.
    Losing weight is not a temporary thing, which is why people rebound and put the weight back on. You need to come to terms with the fact that you need to make some LIFE LONG changes and keep those changes for life if you want to be that person for the rest of your life.
    Our bodies have good memory. If you have been overweight then it is even more important to be diligent with your choices because your body always wants to go back to what it is used to. It takes a number of years for your body to adapt and to catch up.
    I made the decision to change my life to better health and now I no longer mourn all the things that I "gave up" to be healthy and thin . . . instead I celebrate the incredible way I feel and look, the added confidence I have gained, and especially all of the added years to my life that I have now. It feels like I have received the best gift of all and I no longer mourn the loss of a few foods or drinks that I will never consume again. I love myself again after losing over 80 lbs and that is too precious to me to even think about going back to the person I used to be.
    Every morning I get up and I read the note I have posted . . . I create myself with the choices I make every day.

Get up with purpose every day and make this promise to yourself because you are worth it!!!

I know it is a life style change, but it is easily said than done. The thing is, for the first few month, I was feeling confident and very comfortable with the new eating habbit, and wasn't feeling like it was a diet. But now I suddenly felt like I am dieting and struggle to control.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You need to find a way of eating that is sustainable long term. Once anyone returns to old ways of eating, weight gain is a given.
  • skinnyjingbb
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I had success weight lost in the past but always failed after below 160lbs. I started dieting again back in Oct 2017, follow a low-carb diet. I lost more than 30 lbs pretty fast and was at 156lbs on Feb 10. However the past two month, I have been struggling a lot the I no longer feel like I was in total control like in the early month, some days I'll be doing well but then I would give in to cravings, sometime eating way over calorie budget, or sometime eat too much high-carb food. I had gained back to 159lbs a few time. Last week, I did well and now I am at 154lbs, but I am not sure how to maintain these. My ideal weight is 120lbs since I am only 5'3, but my first goal is to reach and maintain 140lbs for a while. It seem like my body is set my weight at 160lbs and everytime I try to go below that, I am struggling really hard. Please let me know if you have similar experience and any advise on how I should keep going.

You didn't mention calories, which is really at the very foundation of losing weight. How is your logging? Do you use a food scale? Have you verified that the entries you are using in the database are correct? Read the "Most Helpful Posts" thread pinned to the top of the boards.

You mentioned following low carb - was this a natural choice for you? Macros are personal preference, and tweaking your macros can make it easier to eat the right amount of calories. I actually find carbs filling so a low carb diet would be a disaster for me. Instead I focused on getting enough protein and fiber, which I personally find filling. Low carb is not necessary, unless you find that way of eating works best for you.

My suggestion would be to set your goal to lose 1 lb per week, and commit to logging accurately and consistently for at least 6 weeks. The ultimate goal is to figure out a way of eating that is practical for you, that you enjoy, and that keeps you at the right amount of calories so you can get to a healthy weight and then maintain it effortlessly for the rest of your life. Good luck :drinker:

I started at 1200kcal and then I increased to 1350 kcal. I am tracking fairly well, so I know when I gained weight is because I had went over daily allowed calorie. I eat low carb just because it is easy to cut calorie from carb with my food preference. My problem is for the first few month, I am comfortable with my planned meals and snacks, after I reach below 160lbs, I would eat all my planned food but want more, like eating more than 1 portion of planned snack ect.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I hope some folks that ascribe to a low-carb or Keto way of eating do respond to you. I don't do those, all that matters to me is being under my calorie goal, so if I have a craving I can usually eat a little of that thing and be fine. To me that's easier, but I understand some people feel like not having any is easier than having some.

All I'd respectfully submit, is:
    1. the keto/low-carb life is frequently praised as reducing cravings and/or making it easier to adhere to the calorie goals. If that is not your experience lately, it might be worth looking at other options.
    2. Another thing I hear about keto/low-carb is that it wrings water weight out of you, so that suddenly eating more carbs than usual puts water weight back on, causing disconcerting swings if you're not successful in limiting carbs. I am sure there are threads around here with more scientific explanations! Water gain/loss is not fat gain/loss, but this phenomenon can make low-carb look awfully good when you adhere to it and like carbs are evil when you don't. Sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, IMO.
    3. I too have tough days for adherence even now in maintenance, and it may be worth looking for patterns in what is going on - emotions, boredom, stress, low energy, TOM, special occasions, the feeling that you "deserve" a treat?
    4. Have you recalculated your calorie limits for your new weight? I assume your bounce is more about not adhering to your limit like you say, but just thought I'd mention,
    5. Also, the closer we get to goal the harder it gets. You don't mention what your deficit is set to but you might have better luck with .5 / week as your weight is now smaller.

Congrats on your loss so far and all the best :smile:
  • TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Omg I could have wrote your post!!!
    I am 5'2" and I was 184lb and easily got down to 165 which I have maintained for a year.
    But can I hell break that 11 stone barrier which is 154, I just stall around 160.
    So I have spent a year up and down again and again with the same 7-8lb.
    It is driving me nuts :(

I haven't found the answer yet.
    I have started out again beginning of this month at 166lb with a goal of breaking the 11 stone (154lb) barrier by June 7th.
    I am taking it one day at a time, aiming for 12000 steps a day, gym 3 times a week weight training and not exceeding 1400kcal a day on non gym days - will allow myself a protein shake on gym days after working out.

I get moments of madness where I will trough - it's the only way I can describe it. I will eat everything in sight and sabotage a really good week and it only happens as I close in to the 160 mark. Higher in weight I don't get the mad cravings.

I do believe it's all in my head but I cannot figure out why.

• skinnyjingbb
    Options
    Omg I could have wrote your post!!!
    I am 5'2" and I was 184lb and easily got down to 165 which I have maintained for a year.
    But can I hell break that 11 stone barrier which is 154, I just stall around 160.
    So I have spent a year up and down again and again with the same 7-8lb.
    It is driving me nuts :(

I haven't found the answer yet.
    I have started out again beginning of this month at 166lb with a goal of breaking the 11 stone (154lb) barrier by June 7th.
    I am taking it one day at a time, aiming for 12000 steps a day, gym 3 times a week weight training and not exceeding 1400kcal a day on non gym days - will allow myself a protein shake on gym days after working out.

I get moments of madness where I will trough - it's the only way I can describe it. I will eat everything in sight and sabotage a really good week and it only happens as I close in to the 160 mark. Higher in weight I don't get the mad cravings.

I do believe it's all in my head but I cannot figure out why.

Yes! It is exactly the same thing with me. Your are right, it is probably our mind playing tricks on us. I won't give up this time though. My current plan is to avoid buying any sweets since I can no longer control my portion as I used to do. I am also going to commit to logging, so even though I had a binge date, I would log the calorie so the bad strike won't continue.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    While it is true that you can eat whatever you want so long as you stay within calories, our self control sometimes is lacking. Sure, maybe you have the calories to spare for a half cup of ice cream... but if you're anything like me, half a cup is just the first bite! lol.

I'd suggest an all or nothing approach to eating for a while. Absolutely no snacking. If its breakfast, lunch, or dinner, then eat. If its not, then nothing goes in your mouth (besides water, tea, and maybe coffee).

Another suggestion is to ensure a salad with little to no dressing is included in each meal and eaten entirely before you can hit the main plate.

You might want to monitor your calories strictly for a while and make a firm plan based on goals and eating habits. Maybe even determine to NOT lose weight, but rather see if you can maintain a weight range for 5 weeks and then back to losing weight.
  • TigerLily100
    Options

[/quote]

Yes! It is exactly the same thing with me. Your are right, it is probably our mind playing tricks on us. I won't give up this time though. My current plan is to avoid buying any sweets since I can no longer control my portion as I used to do. I am also going to commit to logging, so even though I had a binge date, I would log the calorie so the bad strike won't continue. [/quote]

Yes logging accurately is crucial and I too just don't buy the stuff I gorge on, if it's not in the house I have to make a conscious decision to go out for it and that gives me time to reconsider.

Do you think it's possible we both have an unconscious thought of reaching a weight or level that is no longer as big an issue as when heavier?
    I know for me I was extremely unfit and my health suffered at 184lb, in fact I was embarrassed at not being able to keep up with friends etc.
    But at 165lb I am fit, I can out walk and out run my 16 year old daughter. The life impact has gone, I don't feel gruesome anymore, just chubby and I am not unhappy with how I look clothed.....naked is another matter!

I think I just don't want it as bad.
    I was desperate at 184lb, really driven.
    Now I would like to be 126lb, but maybe I just don't want it as bad as I feel good in myself.
    I do get angry at the self sabotage though, as there is no denying I am still fat :(
    The worse part is I know I am doing it BUT I also know I can drop the weight again. Classic yo-yo!
  • skinnyjingbb
    Options
    DanaDark wrote: »
    While it is true that you can eat whatever you want so long as you stay within calories, our self control sometimes is lacking. Sure, maybe you have the calories to spare for a half cup of ice cream... but if you're anything like me, half a cup is just the first bite! lol.

I'd suggest an all or nothing approach to eating for a while. Absolutely no snacking. If its breakfast, lunch, or dinner, then eat. If its not, then nothing goes in your mouth (besides water, tea, and maybe coffee).

Another suggestion is to ensure a salad with little to no dressing is included in each meal and eaten entirely before you can hit the main plate.

You might want to monitor your calories strictly for a while and make a firm plan based on goals and eating habits. Maybe even determine to NOT lose weight, but rather see if you can maintain a weight range for 5 weeks and then back to losing weight.

Thank you for the advise, I actually just started last week stopped having sweet snack since my self control is not very reliable at the moment. Snacking is probably my biggest problem, when I do well is because I only snack on pre-portioned healthy snacks, but not sure if I have the will power to completed cut out snacking at the moment, but definitely something I should try in the long-term.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advise, I actually just started last week stopped having sweet snack since my self control is not very reliable at the moment. Snacking is probably my biggest problem, when I do well is because I only snack on pre-portioned healthy snacks, but not sure if I have the will power to completed cut out snacking at the moment, but definitely something I should try in the long-term.

Snacking is my bane! I can do well all day long, even till after dinner. But then late night snacking while watching tv shows totally ruins me. I personally find that doing things to discourage eating outright helps a lot.

For example, about an hour after dinner, I brush my teeth, floss, water pick, rinse, the whole gambit. I take time and care. After I do this, I feel more motivated not to late night snack because it'd undue all the work I just did on terrific dental hygiene!

If things are particularly dire, I have my low calorie snacks to go to... pickles, celery, carrots, etc.

Making sure all your foods and snacks require time for preparation also helps a TON. Makes my laziness work for me rather than against me. I'm hungry. I want to snack. But ugh... I have to actually PREPARE it?! Too lazy. No food. lol.
  • skinnyjingbb
    Options

Yes! It is exactly the same thing with me. Your are right, it is probably our mind playing tricks on us. I won't give up this time though. My current plan is to avoid buying any sweets since I can no longer control my portion as I used to do. I am also going to commit to logging, so even though I had a binge date, I would log the calorie so the bad strike won't continue. [/quote]

Yes logging accurately is crucial and I too just don't buy the stuff I gorge on, if it's not in the house I have to make a conscious decision to go out for it and that gives me time to reconsider.

Do you think it's possible we both have an unconscious thought of reaching a weight or level that is no longer as big an issue as when heavier?
    I know for me I was extremely unfit and my health suffered at 184lb, in fact I was embarrassed at not being able to keep up with friends etc.
    But at 165lb I am fit, I can out walk and out run my 16 year old daughter. The life impact has gone, I don't feel gruesome anymore, just chubby and I am not unhappy with how I look clothed.....naked is another matter!

I think I just don't want it as bad.
    I was desperate at 184lb, really driven.
    Now I would like to be 126lb, but maybe I just don't want it as bad as I feel good in myself.
    I do get angry at the self sabotage though, as there is no denying I am still fat :(
    The worse part is I know I am doing it BUT I also know I can drop the weight again. Classic yo-yo!
    [/quote]

Very ture, I no longer feel uncomfortable with daily activity like I was at 190lbs. But I know I am still fat when I see myself naked or just feel my love handle when siting down, so I don't think I am losing motivation, but maybe I am in a subconscious level.
  • skinnyjingbb
    Options
    DanaDark wrote: »

Snacking is my bane! I can do well all day long, even till after dinner. But then late night snacking while watching tv shows totally ruins me. I personally find that doing things to discourage eating outright helps a lot.

For example, about an hour after dinner, I brush my teeth, floss, water pick, rinse, the whole gambit. I take time and care. After I do this, I feel more motivated not to late night snack because it'd undue all the work I just did on terrific dental hygiene!

If things are particularly dire, I have my low calorie snacks to go to... pickles, celery, carrots, etc.

Making sure all your foods and snacks require time for preparation also helps a TON. Makes my laziness work for me rather than against me. I'm hungry. I want to snack. But ugh... I have to actually PREPARE it?! Too lazy. No food. lol.

I don't have problem with late night snacking (I play puzzle game while listening to TV or audiobook, no free hand, no eating). My problem is at work, sometime I need something to nibble on, and also on the road both morning and evening. My best effort with them now is to nibble slowly on healthier snack(vegetable, small amount of cheese or nuts etc.). But on my bad days, I would eat 5-day portion in one setting, but if I don't have pre-planned snack, when cravings is strong I would go buy unhealthy options like a cookie!.
  • TigerLily100
    edited April 2018
    Options
    [/quote]

Very ture, I no longer feel uncomfortable with daily activity like I was at 190lbs. But I know I am still fat when I see myself naked or just feel my love handle when siting down, so I don't think I am losing motivation, but maybe I am in a subconscious level. [/quote]

So maybe it's not the head playing tricks, maybe it's time for a step back and time to reconsider goals.
    I am still technically obese, I am guessing your BMI is around 30 like mine so there are health benefits to getting the BMI down for sure and I am trying to concentrate on that.....and the naked reflection lol.
    I am 46 so not getting any younger, I want to be fit and strong and that's what's motivating me to give it another good go.
    Maybe we both just need a kick up the booty.

Good luck and if you find the magic cure let me know :)
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I never decided to go full keto because I know that is not sustainable for me. When I am going well, I do reward myself with sweets(1 piece of chocolate, half a cookie, or spoonful of cake ect, around 60Kcal), and I would feel satisfied. But now, I had a bite I would want more. So starting last week I am trying to be more strict with carb and hope this will help curve cravings.

This could actually have the opposite effect if you are overly restricting, there’s a greater chance of keeping the “on a diet - off a diet” cycle going.