How to lose weight when over Age 40

Options
2»

Replies

• angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I turned 46 just a couple weeks ago. Been maintaining my weight for the past 4 years. I have gained and lost the same 5-10 pounds. Nothing hard about it. Sometimes I work out sometimes I don't (hence the gain). I log everything!!! Get a food scale!! Measure it out. Don't count out 15 almonds, measure then by grams. I stalled and found out the measuring cups and counting them out was drastically over in calories. Got a food scale and got down to 122. I'm 5'5". I'm at 128 as we speak. I eat whatever I want within my calories. No secret science here. It's all CICO. That's it. Good luck :)
  • abbyjack2
    abbyjack2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is amazing on how much calories is in a sub. I had a cheesesteak sub from the local sub shop for lunch and it had 688 calories!!! Needless say, i busted my calorie limit today.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how many calories there is in almost all restaurant food. Last week I thought I was being smart and ordered vegetarian fajitas. They came swimming in oil. They had actually cooled just enough to see the nasty orange color starting to form. It was too disgusting to even consider eating.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and lifting weights was the best thing I've ever done! I'm only 5' and I consume 2200 calories. And that's actually a maintenance diet for me now. Lifting will help increase muscle mass and the more muscle you have the more calories you will burn. Doing 100% cardio is boring and is great for heart health but not as good as a combo of cardio/lifting.
  • abbyjack2
    Options
    I'm 59 and lifting weights was the best thing I've ever done! I'm only 5' and I consume 2200 calories. And that's actually a maintenance diet for me now. Lifting will help increase muscle mass and the more muscle you have the more calories you will burn. Doing 100% cardio is boring and is great for heart health but not as good as a combo of cardio/lifting.

I had heard that lifting weights is good to help build muscle. I started doing jillian michels revolution workout and alot of the moves use weights. I may need to get heavier weights since the biggest i have is 5 lb weights. I do have a kettleball that I don't use very often. thanks for the advice.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Losing weight over 40 is no different than at any other age - eat less than you burn :smile:
    I didn't 'find' MFP until 2012 and I was 42, once I started counting calories and moving more weight loss happened and I've not looked back since. (I'm approaching year 5 at maintenance)
  • abbyjack2
    Options
    I am 42 years old, trying to lose 20 lbs . Seem to be stuck at 156 lbs. My goal weight is 140. Seems even with the logging what I eat, being active, working out, eating healthy, nothing seems to work. Starting to think there is no hope..short of eating nothing...not sure what else to do.
  • rimir74
    rimir74 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the preset logging calories are wrong? If CICO still has you maintaining and you feel you need to lose - log in a multiple of a food item. If food xx is 400 calories - log it in as 1.1 or some multiple. Perhaps that's the more accurate calorie count. If it gets you losing weight - then it likely is...