Food scale and recipes

Options
I have a food scale and I use it religiously even when creating recipes. Let's say I made (from scratch) Mac and cheese and I want it to have 4 servings. How do I know how much is in a serving so that I can correctly track it AND to prevent myself from eating more than one? Sorry, I'm a newbie with the scale and I'm trying not to make the same mistakes before such as underestimating. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you want four servings, divide the whole thing in/by four? Weigh it and eat 1/4?
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I do put recipes I make into the recipe builder. If I were to make mac & cheese I would first weigh the dish I'm cooking it in, by grams & write it down. Next I would weigh/measure everything I put into my recipe & record it individually. Then to find out how many servings I want from it. I would weigh the whole thing in the dish I weighed earlier I'm going to cook it in. Subtract the weight of the dish from the whole weight to get the food weight without the dish. I weigh by grams. I eyeball it & decide how big one serving will be, say I think the whole thing would make 8 servings- I divide the grams of the food by 8 & it will give you how many grams in one serving . Maybe someone else can explain it more simply
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Here's what I usually do.. I put the weight of all of my ingredients into the recipe builder and let it calculate how many calories are in the whole thing. I put how many servings I want there to be. Then I weigh my entire dish of prepared food and divide it by the amount the servings I decided upon. Let's say your mac and cheese weighed 1200 grams. Don't include the pan/dish in the weight. Just the food! If you want there to be 4 servings, then each serving would be 300 grams. Sometimes I name my recipes with the weight included in the title. Like: Mac and Cheese (300g) That way I remember a couple days down the line.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i just set the servings for how many grams it weighs.. then whatever i eat i weigh. so my serving is whatever i want not a set amount. say 300 grams for dinner one day and 150 grams for lunch the next day.
  • Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do it two ways:

(1) Weigh the end result and list the portion as the number of grams. E.g. If I was making homemade mac and cheese and the end product weighed 325g, I would list it as 325 portions. When i ate the food, if I had 120g, that would mean that i list it in my diary as 120 portions.

(2) Still weigh the food, but calcualte it based on 100g portions. So in the example above I would list it as 3.25 portions instead of 325. 100 g portions. if I ate 120g, that would be 1.2 portions.