My binge eating

Options
I feel so pathetic for posting this...am hoping that by writing this down I can admit to it and then help myself.

I have gotten into an awful habit of binge eating at the same time everyday, it has become a routine that I believe is hampering me in my goals.

I get up early to go to the gym, make myself a coffee and have a banana....and whilst I am doing all that and getting ready I get my sons cereal box out and eat his cereal....not weighing it but taking handfuls and just scoffing.

Golly I am even ashamed to write it down. Anyone else managed to change their ways after bingeing the same everyday?

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Is this before or after the gym?

It might be that that banana simply isn't enough nutrition/calories for you and you just end up scarfing down your kid's cereal as a reaction.

Perhaps you could try adding something protein to that banana to help keep you fuller.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It's an ongoing battle... but I'm getting better. Like you, I had certain times of the day, certain routines, where eating just became habit. Didn't matter what I was eating, how much, or if I was even hungry. There was an association with a certain time of day or a certain event that, to me, equaled food.

Once I became aware it was happening, I was able to become more aware of why, which allowed me to start changing the habit/response/association. It's not easy, and it's not quick... but it is possible.
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 403 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Totally relate to this! I'll be cooking dinner and eat a few slices of bread, even been known to make and eat a sandwich while doing dinner. Seem to be conquering that by snacking on the veg that I'm cooking instead. Not perfect but step in right direction! I now have to tackle the mid afternoon slump snacking! I found a bag of marshmallows yesterday in the cupboard and ended up eating them all just because...

I'm stay at home with 2 smalls so I just get bored and lonely... Not sure how to tackle it but thanks to tracking my food I'm able to see the problem! I would love to go back to work but it just wouldn't suit our situation at the moment!
  • cochrantimothy
    cochrantimothy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    how do you handle the rest of the day? do you try to starve yourself to make up for it? you need to reset yourself, forget about it and start fresh. if you binge that day, eat as normal the rest of the day, then the next day move forward like it hasn't happened, maybe up your calories by a little bit just invade you are not eating enough to being with. YouTube videos on binge eating as well. they have all kinds of information in them.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try eating more breakfast and not just a banana and coffee? Especially after working out. Unless you ate a huge dinner at 10:00 pm the night before, I would think you need more food in the morning after working out.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the supportive comments. I actually felt a whole lot better for writing it down in this post and admitting my problem.

Good news is that this morning I have broken the cycle and not reached for the cereal, I just need to keep this good habit going.
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Spitspot81 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all the supportive comments. I actually felt a whole lot better for writing it down in this post and admitting my problem.

Good news is that this morning I have broken the cycle and not reached for the cereal, I just need to keep this good habit going.

I think that's all this journey is, a complete change to our habits! <3 we all have our own demons but we are strong enough to recognise them and then take them on!
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Have you considered volume eating? As in low calorie foods but lots of it? It may give a similar feeling without weight gain (unless you suffer from Crohn's or Gastroparesis in which I do not recommend volume eating).