Fitbit steps and going for a walk

Options
This may be a silly question (and I couldn't find if it was discussed before), but I use a fitbit to track steps since I have a sedentary desk job. I also take a 15 minute brisk walk on my break. I haven't been logging the walk separately, just letting it reflect in my steps count. Is this what y'all do, or should I log a walk also under exercise with the time and speed as recorded by my phone's SHealth? I don't want to short myself, but I don't want to double count either.
Thanks!

Replies

• lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If your fitbit is synched with myfitnesspal it's accounted for, you do not want to log it again. Good for you for getting out for that brisk walk on your break!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    IF your MFP and fitbit are correctly configured, It doesn't matter.

IF you want to see it reflected in your MFP diary, log it. MFP will adjust the calories appropriately.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I always counted walks just as steps.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You’re doing it correctly. MFP and FitBit will sync up with the steps and the total calories you burn estimated by FitBit, and then MFP will give you an adjustment of calories which is the difference between what MFP thought you’d burn with no exercise, based on the stats you entered and activity level, and what FitBit says you actually burn.

A heads up, if you’re set to Sedentary because of your desk job but actually average 8-10k steps or more, you’re really not Sedentary and you may see some big adjustments. I have a desk job but I average 12k -15k steps per day so I’m actually set at active.

Also, make sure to enable negative calorie adjustments so if you do have a day where you’re truly Sedentary or getting lower activity than normal (not feeling well, long road trip, etc) then MFP subtracts cals to keep you from over eating that day.

Good luck!
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!