Spices..

Options
measuring carefully, meeting my macros and calories. However, I am over indulging in spices, like a lot...
I don’t count them either,
Does a lot of spices on your food effect weight loss, if so how? Is it staling progress or reducing, etc.
Thanks!

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    The only one that affects my weight is sodium because of water retention. I track it mostly so if I see an unexpected rise I can go look and often explain it with salt and just relax until the water retention subsides.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    You mean things like pepper, garlic powder, dried basil, etc? Those things I don't log. I can't. I'd spend all day making myself measure every shake I add. Most pure dried herbs and spices have very, very little calories. Some have a small amount of carbs. For instance, you need an entire tablespoon of black pepper to make up 17 calories.

The main thing some folks account for are salt and blends that have sodium, if they are watching their sodium intake. Also anything that is a seed (like sesame seed or poppy seed) have a few more calories.

Here is a handy list that kind of gives you an idea: http://calorielab.com/foods/herbs-and-spices/49
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Spices are very low in calories so they should have zero effect other than salt and water retention
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    As others have said, dry spices shouldn't be an issue other than possible water retention from salt.

If you are using spice pastes or sauces, check the label. Some can incorporate oils, and if you are using them liberally <could> be adding measurable calories.

If you aren't losing as expected, stop measuring and start weighing with a food scale, it can be an eye opener.