1200 calorie goal. How to not go over?

Options
Hi- My calorie goal is 1200 per day. I'm usually OK if I can get some exercise in but on those busy days it's hard. On the days without exercise I find it really hard to stay within 1200 calories. I'm so hungry. Any tips? Low calorie snacks? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks.

Replies

• andrea41876
    andrea41876 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I wanted to lose 20-30 lbs. My current weight is 178. But I should be realistic. We do have a busy life and enjoy going out as well. This is so hard! Thanks for your advice.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I wanted to lose 20-30 lbs. My current weight is 178. But I should be realistic. We do have a busy life and enjoy going out as well. This is so hard! Thanks for your advice.

Yeah, I would pick a more reasonable goal and get more to eat each day. This will make it much easier to stay on plan.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

2lbs per week is good if you have 75+ lbs to lose
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

The reasons: the less you have to lose the less fat stores you have to pull from. The less fat you have to pull from the less your body wants to give up. So if your deficit is too large, given your stats, you will burn a larger % of lean muscle.

I have around 45lbs left to lose and was so disheartened to see that a 1.5lb loss per week was only 1200 calories. I'm trying to stick to it but about half of my week im around 1300-1400 so my weekly average isn't too bad. I guess that's within the realm of 1-1.5 lbs loss. Wish it were more but alas what can you do :)
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I started at 190lbs, and started with 1200, but it can only be done for a short time, then it is very hard to control cravings and I would binge. Now I set my daily goal as a range between 1200-1400, I had some optional snacks planned, so if I felt full at 1200, i won't eat them, but if i felt i need more or if I am going out to eat, 1400 is totally fine too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1,200 is the absolute lowest most women should go. Did you happen to choose an aggressive weight loss goal or are you just close to your goal weight?

I chose 2lbs a week. Is that way too much?

> 75 pounds to lose? Then 2 pounds a week is good.

Find something sustainable. I found 1200 made me crabby. Better to lose slower & stay consistent.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Hi- My calorie goal is 1200 per day. I'm usually OK if I can get some exercise in but on those busy days it's hard. On the days without exercise I find it really hard to stay within 1200 calories. I'm so hungry. Any tips? Low calorie snacks? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks.

Yes, your deficit might be unnecessarily large. But with regard to your question, my tactics include getting at least 30g of protein with each meal & snack (I usually eat 4 times a day), making sure that I am getting at least 45g of fat each day, eating raw veggies/salads/whole grains/beans to get ~25g of fiber, and drinking enough water/other liquids. I aim for 1350 calories/day to drop a couple of lbs a month (I'm older, so my needs are less). And like you, I really like getting a good workout in in order to enjoy more food.
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The way I do it, which may or may not work for others: I'm set to -2 lbs a week loss but use a TDEE calculator to estimate where my maintenance calories are. Many days ~1200 calories feels decent but if any particular day they don't, I know my hard limit where I need to stop or I will kill all deficit. I don't consider this to be "cheating", but rather strategic balancing of satiety needs and deficit and I plan to adapt this going into maintenance somehow.

Since I started out heavier than you currently are (and I still am much heavier than you) -2lbs calories were relatively easy for me to stay within when I was 263 lbs in October and they slowly dropped to 1200 just like last week, so the adjustment wasn't that bad. 1200 calories are hard sometimes, and if I didn't have a goal of getting under 200lbs this summer then I would probably go up to -1lbs so that I could be more flexible with my eating. Not everyone can or should be using that 1200 number as a goal.

Baby steps are so important throughout this whole process and it is smart to start slow and even slow it back down or take a diet break if you need to later.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    prawn salads ! .. I eat far too many prawns and salads