High reps low weight/low reps high weight for bulk?

Options
Hi all when bulking with the aim of getting stronger and bigger is it better to be doing high reps and low weight or low reps and high weight? What are all your opinions and tips about this?
Personally I found low reps high weight worked for me well but because I have been following the PHAT workout lately a lot of there exercises call for higher reps so I’ve had to lower the weight but I hope that over time I will work back up to the weight I was lifting when I was doing lower reps.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    High reps builds endurance, high weight builds strength.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of rep ranges, some 5-8 rep.. but usually around 8-12 for main lifts, 12+ for accessories (mostly glute stuff).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The PHAT program is designed to both improve strength with lower rep higher weights sometimes, and hypertrophy with moderately higher reps and lower weight sometimes. That's how that program is designed. You went through a whole deal about what program and you picked that one just a month or so ago. Why are you second guessing it? Just follow the program. I'm guessing Layne Norton knows what he's doing.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    When 5-8 stops working, switch to 8-12, when 8-12 stops working, go back to 5-8.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    The PHAT program is designed to both improve strength with lower rep higher weights sometimes, and hypertrophy with moderately higher reps and lower weight sometimes. That's how that program is designed. You went through a whole deal about what program and you picked that one just a month or so ago. Why are you second guessing it? Just follow the program. I'm guessing Layne Norton knows what he's doing.

I’m not second guessing the programme I’m actually really enjoying the programme, it’s just my programme I was doing before I was doing ALL low reps high weight and I was progressing with weight a lot quicker and lifting heavier overall. This PHAT programme just takes a different route.. it will still get me to the same destination but just just taking a different route I see it as. But it just got me questioning that’s all. Asking questions like this helps me learn too.
  • kazane1
    Options
    Thanks all! Insightful comments as allways.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    kazane1 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »

I’m not second guessing the programme I’m actually really enjoying the programme, it’s just my programme I was doing before I was doing ALL low reps high weight and I was progressing with weight a lot quicker and lifting heavier overall. This PHAT programme just takes a different route.. it will still get me to the same destination but just just taking a different route I see it as. But it just got me questioning that’s all. Asking questions like this helps me learn too.

Remember, you weren't doing a proper program before! Glad you're enjoying PHAT.
  • kazane1
    Options
    Progressive overload.

Yeahh the second the weight starts getting easy I up it all the time :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    When 5-8 stops working, switch to 8-12, when 8-12 stops working, go back to 5-8.
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kazane1
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I noticed the biggest changed in physique on PHAT. You just need to keep your progressive overload. If you're getting up to 12-13 reps, add weight and go back to 8-10 reps or add a set.

Thank you I will do this.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hi all when bulking with the aim of getting stronger and bigger is it better to be doing high reps and low weight or low reps and high weight? What are all your opinions and tips about this?
    Personally I found low reps high weight worked for me
    well but because I have been following the PHAT workout lately a lot of there exercises call for higher reps so I’ve had to lower the weight but I hope that over time I will work back up to the weight I was lifting when I was doing lower reps.

My opinion is you should perform training that your body responds optimally within the programmed volume.

Rep schemes of others lifters and their programs(even the same program) really shouldn't hold weight with what is best for you. The fact is you might be more or less male, more or less efficient at hypertrophy, have more or less of athletic background, etc.

Some people are resistant to certain rep schemes while others are good responders. Find yours and run it as long as you respond and add volume before reps are missed.

• kazane1
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Personally I found low reps high weight worked for me
    well but because I have been following the PHAT workout lately a lot of there exercises call for higher reps so I’ve had to lower the weight but I hope that over time I will work back up to the weight I was lifting when I was doing lower reps.

My opinion is you should perform training that your body responds optimally within the programmed volume.

Rep schemes of others lifters and their programs(even the same program) really shouldn't hold weight with what is best for you. The fact is you might be more or less male, more or less efficient at hypertrophy, have more or less of athletic background, etc.

Some people are resistant to certain rep schemes while others are good responders. Find yours and run it as long as you respond and add volume before reps are missed.

Okay great thank you. It seems so simple when I see it written down but thank you it wouldn’t of been made so clear without your help.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Include both high rep sets & low rep sets in order to gauge strength progress (does not matter if cutting or bulking; this is another broscience misconception that high reps tone, low reps bulk/build).

PHAT works well; however, I go with targeted exercises (mostly compound/multi-joint movements) for heavy, low rep sets with high rep, low weight "isolation"/single joint movements in the same lifting session (Jim Stoppani often advocates this type of approach). Experiment, but @ the end of the day, you need some way to gauge progress
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    That chart hurts my head right now. It's so blue. I hate it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Put on your blue blockers. :D
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Put on your blue blockers. :D

It makes me feel like I have a processing disorder.

Or maybe cause I just finished an AMRAP day on PH3. Can't see straight.