quick weight loss and gallstones - anyone?

Options
I'm curious if the upper abdominal pain I've had three times in the last month might be a gallstone. I've lost about 57 lbs in about 20 weeks. I was googling this morning and saw that there seems to be a correlation between rapid weight loss and developing gallstones. (In particular, I found this testimonial: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2130663/Losing-weight-quickly-gave-gallstones.html)

(I've decided to reduce my goal loss per week, as a result. And, yeah, I should probably see my doctor.)

I'm mostly just curious what other peoples experiences are: has anyone here lost too quickly and gotten gallstones? (I feel like there should be a bit more awareness of this potential problem.) I'd love to hear your stories and solutions.

Replies

• YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I had big gallstone problems. During my first divorce I lost lots of weight and had serious gallbladder issues. My gallbladder was disformed, huge and full of stones, and doctors were scared of doing surgery, because it could explode during the procedure. I was in a very bad condition. But with medicine and strict diet over the years my gallbladder got much better, thanks God!
    But obviously I was under lst of stress too, and it could one of the reasons for my gallbladder problems.
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had big gallstone problems. During my first divorce I lost lots of weight and had serious gallbladder issues. My gallbladder was disformed, huge and full of stones, and doctors were scared of doing surgery, because it could explode during the procedure. I was in a very bad condition. But with medicine and strict diet over the years my gallbladder got much better, thanks God!
    But obviously I was under lst of stress too, and it could one of the reasons for my gallbladder problems.

Thanks for sharing your story. That's great to hear that you've been able to manage your gallbladder troubles. (Sorry to hear that they started, in the first place, though.)
  • sabrafox
    sabrafox Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Rapid weight loss can actually exacerbate gallbladder problems and unfortunately, the only treatment is gallbladder removal. You need to go see your doctor. Mine yelled at me for waiting so long and explained how I could have died. They do the surgery laproscopically, the recovery is very quick, and you won't hurt anymore.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing your story. That's great to hear that you've been able to manage your gallbladder troubles. (Sorry to hear that they started, in the first place, though.)

Honestly I was all for the surgery but my doctors were too scared. They wanted to calm it down first with medications and to remove it when it's calm. They said they wouldnt be able to do it the easy way (with little dots) because my gallbladder was in bad ondition, and would have to have a big cut across my belly. Or to calm it down and have an easy surgery when the crisis is over. I spent a week in a hospital on the meds, also because I was in constant pain and was screaming from pain. They let me go home after they saw the crisis was over. And suggested me a surgery but I was kind of scared. So I was on those meds and under doctors treatment for a year or two years. Also was following the diet plan for 2 years.
    My gallbladder is literally perfect now, no stones, perfect size and shape.

Don't be too scared, and good luck with your health! I know tat in the USA doctors prefer to just remove it and be done with it. Just consult your doctors and have your options open!