Satay sauce without peanuts

Options
smelons
smelons Posts: 450 Member
Has anyone ever made satay sauce without using peanuts? I've got some cashew butter in the cupboard and wondered if it might work...

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    IMO, it's not SATAY without peanuts, but I've heard people using PB2 as a substitute for peanut butter. It's powdered.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • smelons
    Options
    OK, I'm looking to make "satay" sauce without peanuts. I don't eat peanuts, so wanted an alternative.
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'd like to hear answers to this too as we have a peanut allergy in the house. No peanuts or PB allowed!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Tahini is a great alternative to peanut butter...I figure peanut butter is a good alternative to tahini in hummus, therefore the reverse should be true!

Edited to add: If you have cashew butter in the house, I'd say use it...its going to be a tad sweeter than peanut butter, so you may need to adjust your other seasonings accordingly.
  • smelons
    Options
    Thanks. I think the best thing to do is experiment. I don't eat soy either though, so it's probably going to be very far removed from the real thing...
  • creativecalico
    creativecalico Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've made something similar with almond butter or sunflower seed butter. I bet cashew butter would be good! Tahini is a bit too much for me in that kind of quantity. Coconut aminos is a pretty good sub for soy sauce.
  • smelons
    Options
    I'd love to try coconut aminos, but I'm struggling to find them in the UK.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Ive heard of people using almonds and I wouldnt hesitate to try cashews. I suggest you google satay almonds or cashews and just see what is out there....course, I love satay with peanuts.

Sometimes I will mix natural PB with cayenne, seasoning salt & garlic powder and slap it on a piece of bread.