Protein powder suggestions for recomp?

Options
I can’t seem to hit my protein goals. Anyone with any suggestions for whey protein powders, particularly for recomp?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Protein powder provides protein.... There is no difference in protein for different goals. I go for WPI generally, and my choice is driven by both cost and taste
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Find one you like. Get samples. I tend to look at labdoor.com.for quality ratings. But I like Quest and MusclePharm. But looking forward to try PEScience which is popular.
  • psuLemon
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I beg to differ. Lots of kinds of protein with different mixes of aminos depending on the source material (whey, soy, pea, beef, egg...) and also how its processed.
    My suggestion is any whey protein isolate. That way you're getting only protein and don't have to worry about the other macros in it... whey is also a "complete protien". Plant based ones are going to be missing some aminos, beef is crazy expensive, egg is also complete but more expensive than whey and I will avoid the inevitable discussion about the evils of soy because it has been done to death.
    Isolate also absorbs very quickly and you will probably actually get all of it and not flush an undigested portion.

You don't flush protein (if you did, youd have bad diarrhea). Your body delays absorbtion if its beyond immediate need. And unless you have a malabsorption issue, it doesn't waste any calorie.

Also, there really isn't a need to have fast absorbing protein. There really isnt a post anabolic window or anything.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Back to OPs question...

I like to get the most grams of protein for the fewest amount of calories. And it HAS to taste good. Based on those criteria, I like Quest and Trutein.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenace/recomp for 18 months and eat/have eaten all forms of protein from "real" food (meat, dairy, legumes, nuts, etc) to supplements (powder, drinks, bars and cookies).

I have not noticed any difference in digestion or otherwise based on the type of protein eaten in so far as meeting my maintenance recomp goals have been concerned.

I eat/ate an average of 0 8-1.2g/#BW of protein each day from these sources and in the process lost 41# overall, dropped my BF% from over 20% down to 8.3% (as measured by hydro) and "recomped" about 14# of LBM/BF in the process.

So, based on my experience, any source of protein should be satisfactory. As far as powdered protein is concerned, I use/have used MyProtein and Cytosport Muscle Milk whey protein because they provided the most protein per ounce for the lowest cost per ounce.

However, the amount and source of protein is not necessarily the most important factor that you need to consider in meeting your recomp goals.

How you control and balance your diet overall and how you exercise to gain strength, achieve fitness and burn cals matters more, particularly if your objective is to maintain your weight while losing BF and increasing your LBM in order to recomp.
  • courtneyknill
    courtneyknill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like using the the isopeptide/hydrolyzed protein from the beyond raw line at GMC. It’s 30 grams of protein for a pretty low calorie payoff. It’s also very lightweight and tasty.
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Curious too, I have trouble eating enough protein and I'm suuuuper picky about tastes and textures (don't like drinking shakes) so I'm looking for one I can mix into greek yogurt or something. I've tried an unflavored one that still tasted gross and chocolate Designer Whey which has an awful stevia aftertaste I can't get past, I haaaate stevia and all artificial sweeteners actually (I know stevia is 'natural' but still tastes nasty), and I don't eat anything with artificial flavorings period. Is there one out there that doesn't have sugar substitutes or artificial flavorings and still tastes good, or does that not exist? Aside from good desserts and chocolate, I don't like things too sweet - like I actually enjoy my yogurt tart and my coffee drinks unsweetened etc, so the sweetness of the protein annoys me, is there an unflavored one out there you actually can't taste mixed into something?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »
    Curious too, I have trouble eating enough protein and I'm suuuuper picky about tastes and textures (don't like drinking shakes) so I'm looking for one I can mix into greek yogurt or something. I've tried an unflavored one that still tasted gross and chocolate Designer Whey which has an awful stevia aftertaste I can't get past, I haaaate stevia and all artificial sweeteners actually (I know stevia is 'natural' but still tastes nasty), and I don't eat anything with artificial flavorings period. Is there one out there that doesn't have sugar substitutes or artificial flavorings and still tastes good, or does that not exist? Aside from good desserts and chocolate, I don't like things too sweet - like I actually enjoy my yogurt tart and my coffee drinks unsweetened etc, so the sweetness of the protein annoys me, is there an unflavored one out there you actually can't taste mixed into something?

If you can't just hold your nose and slam a protein shake as a means to your goals (think of it as medicine and not something that has to tick all your pleasure centers) and you like tart - try Siggi's yogurt (it's actually Icelandic Skyr). Low fat, very high in protein and relatively low calorie... add some blueberries to the plain and it's quite tasty.
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

If you can't just hold your nose and slam a protein shake as a means to your goals (think of it as medicine and not something that has to tick all your pleasure centers) and you like tart - try Siggi's yogurt (it's actually Icelandic Skyr). Low fat, very high in protein and relatively low calorie... add some blueberries to the plain and it's quite tasty.

I eat plain Fage yogurt for breakfast every day, and I also make my own farmers cheese from low-fat buttermilk that is delicious and fairly high in protein. However, those are pretty much my main protein sources aside from a small serving of chicken or fish and a handful of almonds and slice of cheese here and there. I can't handle more than, say, a third of a chicken breast in a sitting. So the total still comes out fairly low, under 50-60 grams a day usually and now that I'm trying to lift again I need to try and get more.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    +1 vote for protein isolate. Couple of reasons, more protein per scoop, and second is that is has almost no lactose. Since I'm lactose intolerant that is a bonus for me, and the people around me hah! But actually started using it because I noticed there were fewer calories, less carbs and more protein. Then realized my stomach liked it much better. It's also faster absorbing if you care about that.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I use Abouttime. Locally made, but you can order from vitacost:

https://www.vitacost.com/about-time-whey-protein-isolate-chocolate-2-lbs-1

I've tried a lot of protein powders and I can't stomach a lot of them. This one isn't bad at all!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

If you're looking for unflavored protein powder, you can go to true nutrition and create your own custom mix.

https://truenutrition.com/
  • psuLemon
    edited April 2018
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

I eat plain Fage yogurt for breakfast every day, and I also make my own farmers cheese from low-fat buttermilk that is delicious and fairly high in protein. However, those are pretty much my main protein sources aside from a small serving of chicken or fish and a handful of almonds and slice of cheese here and there. I can't handle more than, say, a third of a chicken breast in a sitting. So the total still comes out fairly low, under 50-60 grams a day usually and now that I'm trying to lift again I need to try and get more.

You can look at fairlife chocolate milk.. 15g per serving. I actually mix fairlife with protein powder. If you did an 8oz glass and 1/2 a serving of a chocolate whey, you'd have 30g of protein at 200 ish calories.

You can also look into single servings as testers
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like Quest salted caramel and PEScience Snicker doodle...
  • Hotrod911
    Hotrod911 Posts: 14 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Just tried WPI by ON - chocolate, taste pretty good. Got it from Costco for $35 for approx 5lb.