Not losing Weight on Insanity

Options
2»

Replies

• DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that if you try to drive your deficit up, you're going to drive yourself into the ground and it's not going to be pleasant. The demands of infants have a way of sorting us out real quick when we try to push ourselves too hard and expect too much too soon. Too few calories means a lack of energy and that's not a good combination with a baby who is already taking a lot of energy from you. It took me almost a full year of concerted effort (weighing my food with a food scale and tracking my calories and weight in a trending app) to lose my baby weight, which is exactly what I expected based on the recommended rate of loss for nursing mothers. Take my advice and adjust your expectations.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Take a breath. You're actually doing quite well!
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hey, just don't give up! You're doing great! If it's making you crazy, don't even weigh yourself. After I had my first baby, because I was so exhausted all the time I only managed to do 20-30 minutes every day on a stairmaster. Before my baby I could knock out two hours at the gym like it was nothing so it killed me to only be able to to 30 minutes. After a month of working my butt off, I had only lost 2 pounds. In the past I could lose like 10 pounds in a month (yes, I was a frequent yo-yo dieter) so I became really discouraged. I stopped my daily 30 minutes of torture, and you know what? Over the next months I'd put on even more weight than even my heaviest pregancy weight. All because I was pissed off at the stupid scale. If I had continued that 30 minutes, who knows, maybe I would have maintained or barely lost anything due to the breastfeeding and lack of sleep (both of these do wreck havoc on your hormones...mine anyways). But my point is, one year later I couldn't even recognize myself in the mirror. Even maintaining my post pregnancy weight until I was done breastfeeding would have been better than that. You are doing amazing and all of your hard work is going to pay off. Maybe not as fast as you would like but don't give up! You're doing great!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Exercise and breastfeeding nuances aside, how closely are you prepping your meals? Your diary isn't public and it says you've only been on MFP since yesterday. I understand there are other ways to track your calories but it's entirely possible if your portion sizes are off, what you think is 1800 calories may be more, and/or those "little cheats" are subverting your overall success by contributing more calories more often than you perceive. If there's any tightening of your logging that can be done, start there. It's strongly recommended to use a food scale as much as possible and shown to be more accurate than volumetric measurements (I know some Beachbody programs incorporate their color-coded portion boxes but I didn't think Insanity was one of them).

Additionally, how frequently and consistently are you weighing? Water retention can mask scale weight loss for those not breastfeeding; off the cuff it stands to reason that breastfeeding is only going to exaggerate that potential range. If you're not already you could consider weighing yourself daily, at the same time everyday and track the trend, rather than individual data points week to week. Libra and Happy Scale are two free apps that work well for most users.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Don’t give up. You’re doing just fine. 4 lbs in 6 weeks is a good rate of loss. As other have said if you just started a new workout your body does retain extra water which may also be contributing. Just keep going. Maybe adjust your calories down by 100 or so and see where that gets you.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    4 lbs in a month is great. I am eating 1400 cal a day, sometimes 1300 and have lost 1.5 lbs in a month. What you see on tv like biggest loser is unrealistic. Dropping 10-20 lbs a month is unrealistic. You are on the right track.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Not helpful but thanks for making me feel like an idiot

Many people on here have a hard time just answering questions. They are at times a bit judgmental and rude. I've had to delete 2 posts because they interject their own opinions about things I didn't ask. I do Insanity myself and I love it. I have lost 25lbs in 2.5 months. Maybe your calorie logging is off. Maybe after you're done breastfeeding you will start dropping. It's okay do not get discouraged. You got this. Keep pushing play because even though you may not be losing right now doesn't mean that you aren't getting stronger. Are your fit test results better? If they are then you are getting better.

I would also like to add if you are using the nutrition guide and the formula that is provided for calorie intake you may have chosen the wrong activity level. Try using the level below the one you figured the first time. Give it a couple of weeks and I bet you'll see results. I've known a couple of people who have just used the wrong numbers at first. Once they changed it they started dropping weight and inches like crazy.