How long til I see results on the scale?

Options
I have mfp set to lose 2lbs a week. Does that mean if I weigh every week I should see a 2lb loss or do I wait longer and it all average out to 2lbs per week over let's say a month's time?

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    It might take longer than that. There are many variables in play. Some lose in a linear fashion. Most don't. Your water retention/release will fluctuate more than those 2 pounds on a daily basis.

Don't let the fluctuations fool you. You need time to really see. But log everything, weigh everything with a food scale to the gram (or at least to a tenth of an ounce), and meet your intake goals.

Without context (i.e. your age, height, current weight etc.) it's hard to know of 2 lbs per week is a reasonable goal. But if it is, give it 6-8 weeks and you'll have an idea.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're logging everything as accurately as possible and have the appropriate activity level/deficit chosen, you'll see an average of 2 pounds per week. As weight loss isn't linear, there will always be weeks where you lose less, lose nothing, or gain.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    As the others have said, weight loss is not a linear process and won't proceed in an orderly mathematical manner. But it will proceed if you trust the process and stick with it.

There are a lot of physiological processes which affect the number you see on the scale which don't have to do with actual fat loss. Water retention from high sodium, increased exercise/muscle repair, stress, sunburn, injury, etc.; hormonal fluctuations (most notably, time of month for women); how much food/liquids are in your stomach/bowels in the process of digestion/elimination, etc., etc.

The number on the scale will fluctuate - just accept that as a fact because it happens to everybody. The best thing to do is not panic and go to drastic measures as soon as you see a spike. Many people find it very helpful and reassuring to use a weight trending app such as Happy Scale (iOS), Libra (Android) or trendweight.com/weightgrapher.com (web), so you can keep an eye on overall trend vs. daily fluctuations.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    What you are more likely to see is something like this:

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, a good gauge of weight loss for women would be to compare weight lost on similar days of the cycle (example: first day of period), and even that isn't fool-proof. An average over a month gives you a general idea, and the accuracy gets pinpointed further as you continue to add data points as time passes. Ultimately, once I established a set of good logging practices and a good baseline of how my calories translate to weight loss I found myself just trusting the process regardless of what the scale is saying if I have a longer than expected stall, and always works itself out after a while in my experience.