Renaissance Periodization

Options
DogMom85
DogMom85 Posts: 11 Member
Hey MFPer’s!

I am going to be starting the Healthy Balanced Diet templates from Renaissance Periodization starting June 1st. Has anyone out there used those templates? What was your experience? I would love to know the good and the bad, so please let me know!

Thanks!

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've used RP strength in the past. It was an adjustment conforming my habits and diet to the template. I did get stronger while on the plan. For sports nutrition, RP offers a pretty good product. This Healthy Balanced Diet template is new to RP. Hope it goes well for you.
  • lauramarie812
    lauramarie812 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm am doing RP and logging in MFP. Its a little hard at first trying to figure out how much and how little you are supposed to eat. But so far I am enjoying it. I am about 4 weeks into it
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Obeg wrote: »
    DogMom85 wrote: »
    That was extremely condescending, but thanks for your input, I guess?

You have to understand that these diets/templates are just BS. We apologize that we aren't playing along with it.

How is it "BS" if it works. I know for a fact it works and works very well as I know 3 people currently using it with fantastic results. So why the shade?

Because it's expensive especially when you can figure out a good "diet" plan for free
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

You have to understand that these diets/templates are just BS. We apologize that we aren't playing along with it.

How is it "BS" if it works. I know for a fact it works and works very well as I know 3 people currently using it with fantastic results. So why the shade?

Because it's expensive especially when you can figure out a good "diet" plan for free

In all fairness, some people need a template to get them started. And when you start exercising and dieting, it can be difficult to figure it out. Essentially, its an IIFYM style diet from what i can tell. Much better than many of the MLMs
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

In all fairness, some people need a template to get them started. And when you start exercising and dieting, it can be difficult to figure it out. Essentially, its an IIFYM style diet from what i can tell. Much better than many of the MLMs

Definitely better tham mlm but I guess because I'm poor over $100 for diet templates seems very expensive
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I can invent a diet where someone only eats egg mcmuffins from mcdonalds and some people will have great results. Does that make it necessary for someone to ONLY eat what I tell them to have results? No. At some point people on my diet are going to want to eat something else and a lack of trust in themselves and a lack of knowledge could end them up in worse shape than when they started the "mcmuffin to rid the muffin" diet.

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I like your dogs..
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I've heard great things about RP in general, and I love Mike Israetel so I'd definitely trust him. It does seem very expensive, I wouldn't consider it unless I was competing or really struggling to do it myself. Also I'm not sure if it is somewhat custom made to each individual.. that would make a difference too.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I've heard great things about RP in general, and I love Mike Israetel so I'd definitely trust him. It does seem very expensive, I wouldn't consider it unless I was competing or really struggling to do it myself. Also I'm not sure if it is somewhat custom made to each individual.. that would make a difference too.

I never realized it was Mike Israetel's program. It's definitely legit than. He is knowledgeable as hell and has a ton of good free content on his youtube page; I'd put it up there with Avatar nutrition and close to getting a solid coach. And honestly, when I started this.. i did it with beachbody programs which are expensive. But that expense is what helped me be compliant and stuck with the programs. It certainly isn't for me now, but I do give it the recognition it deserved. Without the BB programs, I probably wouldn't have lost and kept off 50 lbs for over 6 years now.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    i don't use RP, but I do use Eat to Perform which has a similar thought process - i no longer pay for their coaching/nutrition guidance because I bought a lifetime membership - which it has helped me tremendously - i've nearly doubled how much I was eating with minimal weight gain (when I started with them I was avg 1400cal a day and now i'm at between 3000-3200) - i get a check in twice a week from one of their staff etc...

they don't tell me what to eat but they do give me customized macros (my last review was Thursday and i got a bump of 10g carbs/1g fat with protein staying static) because i was maintaining (if you are under your goal weight, they will give you a bump - goal is to get you to eat as much while maintaining weight in the phase that I am doing) - i also got told off because my sodium was sky-high, so for me is it in part an accountability thing

their methodology (and I think RP to an extent) counters a lot of the eat less to weigh less - ETP wants you to ramp up your food intake and then do short concentrated periods of fat loss (usually only about 4 weeks) because they have been found to be more effective. They have some women who are in the 600club (600g of carbs a day) and maintaining at like 130lbs - i'm sure i'll get woo'd for saying that
  • psuLemon
    Options
    i don't use RP, but I do use Eat to Perform which has a similar thought process - i no longer pay for their coaching/nutrition guidance because I bought a lifetime membership - which it has helped me tremendously - i've nearly doubled how much I was eating with minimal weight gain (when I started with them I was avg 1400cal a day and now i'm at between 3000-3200) - i get a check in twice a week from one of their staff etc...

their methodology (and I think RP to an extent) counters a lot of the eat less to weigh less - ETP wants you to ramp up your food intake and then do short concentrated periods of fat loss (usually only about 4 weeks) because they have been found to be more effective. They have some women who are in the 600club (600g of carbs a day) and maintaining at like 130lbs - i'm sure i'll get woo'd for saying that

This is essentially the experience of the Eat More to Lose More methodology and those who do refeeds. Just look at the refeed thread where men and women alike saw huge increases in TDEE/Maintenance levels by incorporating refeeds and adequate nutrients. Logically, it doesn't always make sense, but adequately fueling your body really can go a long way. It's why I have always struggled to lose weight on 1800 calories, but never did on 2300 calories.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I never realized it was Mike Israetel's program. It's definitely legit than. He is knowledgeable as hell and has a ton of good free content on his youtube page; I'd put it up there with Avatar nutrition and close to getting a solid coach. And honestly, when I started this.. i did it with beachbody programs which are expensive. But that expense is what helped me be compliant and stuck with the programs. It certainly isn't for me now, but I do give it the recognition it deserved. Without the BB programs, I probably wouldn't have lost and kept off 50 lbs for over 6 years now.

Yea he is one of the PhDs on the panel there. I had a quick look and it does do a lot of meal timing with carbs and all that, which I think is great for the next level athlete or bodybuilder, but for someone starting out, it is kind of overly complicated IMO and not so necessary. Again to each their own in what they see as something that will keep them on track.

I started out with BB programs too! I did Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire, Brazil Butt Lift (which unfortunately did nothing for my glutes haha), P90X3, Body Beast, PiYo. Programs were great. Meal plans... not so much!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yea he is one of the PhDs on the panel there. I had a quick look and it does do a lot of meal timing with carbs and all that, which I think is great for the next level athlete or bodybuilder, but for someone starting out, it is kind of overly complicated IMO and not so necessary. Again to each their own in what they see as something that will keep them on track.

I started out with BB programs too! I did Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire, Brazil Butt Lift (which unfortunately did nothing for my glutes haha), P90X3, Body Beast, PiYo. Programs were great. Meal plans... not so much!

Yea, their meal plans are rather lacking, although, i much prefer the earlier stuff as opposed to the newer stuff. It seems like over time, they called for less calories and transitioned more towards vegan (not that there is anything wrong with it). But their recipe books have some real good recipes and overall have a solid focus on nutrient dense, whole foods.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

This is essentially the experience of the Eat More to Lose More methodology and those who do refeeds. Just look at the refeed thread where men and women alike saw huge increases in TDEE/Maintenance levels by incorporating refeeds and adequate nutrients. Logically, it doesn't always make sense, but adequately fueling your body really can go a long way. It's why I have always struggled to lose weight on 1800 calories, but never did on 2300 calories.

I would say slightly different (and I’ve read the majority of the thread) - in that you spend more time in a refreshing phase (4-5mths potentially) before a short concentrated fat loss cycle (3-4weeks)
  • psuLemon
    Options

I would say slightly different (and I’ve read the majority of the thread) - in that you spend more time in a refreshing phase (4-5mths potentially) before a short concentrated fat loss cycle (3-4weeks)

Oh fascinating... I may need to research them a bit more.