Options
letchworthnat
letchworthnat Posts: 5 Member
Any fun recipes? No dairy please!

Replies

• atlchell30
    atlchell30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No recipe sorry. But has anyone bugged you about eating too much fish or shell fish? I so love shrimp & prob eat it 4-5x's per week (the other 2-3 days wld be fish or jus veggies). However, catch slack about cholesterol, mercury, etc... I've read conflicting articles regarding shrimp & cholesterol...so was curious to hear thoughts about this.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Baked cajun salmon. Seasonings are a combination of creole seasoning, paprika, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil. Bake for about 20 minutes at 450 degrees. Healthy, delicious, and a little spicy.

I also make shrimp scampi but instead of using a lot of butter and olive oil like a traditional recipe, I use less fat and more lemon juice and white wine.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Nope. Catholic.
  • Ockachobi
    Ockachobi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Nope. Catholic.

She eats fish. No meat, chicken or pork. Nothing to do with religion.

I am a pescatarian 2 days a week and vegi the rest. I love a simple salmon in the oven with curry and lemon juice. Definitely no telapia.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    atlchell30 wrote: »
    No recipe sorry. But has anyone bugged you about eating too much fish or shell fish? I so love shrimp & prob eat it 4-5x's per week (the other 2-3 days wld be fish or jus veggies). However, catch slack about cholesterol, mercury, etc... I've read conflicting articles regarding shrimp & cholesterol...so was curious to hear thoughts about this.

My doc says because there is so little fat in shellfish he's not worried about the cholesterol. Big picture. I do tend toward fattier fish, and those believed to have lower mercury contamination. I also use the Montery bay sustainability sources. And, again, big picture, factory farmed meat probably has its own set of other contaminants.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My husband is pescetarian but honestly he doesn't eat a ton of fish or seafood. Most of our meals at home are vegetarian or vegan meals from recipes & cookbooks along those lines. If that interests you, I would definitely recommend vegan cookbooks by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

We tend to eat very affordable "easy" fish & seafood at home, things like battered cod, canned tuna, and flash frozen salmon. When we dine out, that's when we go for the better seafood, sushi, etc.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I ate a pescatarian diet for 6 years. I ate fish maybe three or four times a week then. My favorite way to cook white fish was to oil it up, season it, and top with about 1 or 2 T of breadcrumbs. (I use panko now.) I’d then drizzle more olive oil on the breadcrumbs (or top it with some butter, but you could skip that since no dairy). I’d bake it at 350 for about 20 min. This is simple but so tasty and still one of my fav things to eat.

For salmon, I really like topping it with a soy/Dijon/brown sugar glaze then baking and topping with more at the end.

I ate shrimp the most often bc it was so quick and easy. I’d add some frozen shrimp to the pasta water as the pasta was nearing the end of its cooking time, then would throw in some baby spinach for the last 30 seconds. Drain and it was ready to eat, just needed some evoo and seasoning.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My favorite fish is mackerel grilled Japanese style, with salt in a very little oil, served with soy sauce and grated daikon. Bonus that mackerel is really cheap. Side dish of quick refrigerator pickles - ginger, cucumber, red onion sliced thin with some rice vinegar, soy, and red pepper flakes - or just a big salad.

I also really like Golden Pompano - most people bake this but I just lightly grill it with a sprinkling of paprika. It's a delicious fish, no need to mess about with adding stuff to it. Serve with a baguette and some stir fried or steamed veggies.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Im not on any specific diet but fish is my protein of choice. I eat fish more times a week than any other meat.
    Last night was pan seared, crispy skin, Barramundi fillet with roasted carrots and a Greek salad.

That sound so good wheres mine :(:p
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Im not on any specific diet but fish is my protein of choice. I eat fish more times a week than any other meat.
    Last night was pan seared, crispy skin, Barramundi fillet with roasted carrots and a Greek salad.

Well come on over. Serious. I posted this before but no one is brave enough to visit. Anyone willing to make a trip to Mississauga, let me know. I will let you know whats for dinner and might even take requests :)

under 2 hours for yummy food? iv walked 8 hours both ways for a chicken waffle. LOL
  • JaydedMiss
    edited April 2018
    Options

Well come on over. Serious. I posted this before but no one is brave enough to visit. Anyone willing to make a trip to Mississauga, let me know. I will let you know whats for dinner and might even take requests :)

under 2 hours for yummy food? iv walked 8 hours both ways for a chicken waffle. LOL

LOL thats dedication :) I would never walk 8h for anything hehe.

I was so sad when that restaurant stopped serving it it was a 10$ lunch deal a delicious fluffy sweet waffle with maple glazed chicken, bacon, lettuce, Cheese and tomato and it was to someone like me who rarely ate meat and loves different tastes and textures and sweetssss.... Omg was so good xD Dessert and lunch in one. They have amazing fries to lol

r1bmxd9ag02t.jpeg

edit: sorry OP i get excited about chicken waffles ill stop derailing i didnt mean to xD
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Shrimp pad thai is my favorite meal prep item! I make my own peanut sauce, it's super easy and it also tastes just as delicious on a quinoa salad. I am always changing up which vegetables I use, and sometimes I prefer tofu to shrimp but it's still considered pescatarian because my sauce does contain fish sauce. My sauce recipe is below, you could get far more servings out of it but because we use it for meal-prep I tend to make it a little saucier (the low sodium item is low sodium soy sauce).

xvle618bph39.png

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Ockachobi wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Nope. Catholic.

She eats fish. No meat, chicken or pork. Nothing to do with religion.

I am a pescatarian 2 days a week and vegi the rest. I love a simple salmon in the oven with curry and lemon juice. Definitely no telapia.

I know. Twas a bad joke.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

LOL thats dedication :) I would never walk 8h for anything hehe.

Same. That love song "Would you lay with me" (I think) where she sings "Would you go away to a distant land, walk a thousand miles through the burning sand?" I would be like "Babe, we gotta talk..." ;)

I pouch cook a lot of fish - seasoned and wrapped in foil, sometimes with a light coat of olive oil (usually sprayed on). Lot of different spices from Cajun to lemon pepper to black peppercorn etc, etc. I do that sometimes when going to a cook out because I don't eat mammal meat (sometimes I just take a chicken breast or turkey burger but those aren't options for you).

At our house we have a vegan, a pescatarian, me the pesca-poultry-tarian :) , a kid who likes everything but beef and one that loves beef. Meal planning is so much fun...
  • misslibralove
    misslibralove Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love this one fish called opah it is so good, but can be hard to find at times . I like to marinade it with 1/2tbs grass fed butter or olive oil, thyme, oregano, 1 clove garlic, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, pepper and then broil it. So good with Greek salad.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,664 Member
    Options
    My mom’s Chinese contact fried fish dish is the best thing she taught me. Works with fillets or whole fish. My mom uses whole carp but I like salmon trout.

Finely dice a thumb of fresh ginger and 4-5 spring onions. Poach the fish in acidulated water. Place drained fish in a rimmed serving dish and cover with the chopped herbs. Sprinkle on a few lashings of soy sauce, the juice of a lemon, some dry sherry or saki, a large pinch of sugar and a small pinch of salt. Bring to the table. Heat up a quarter cup of vegetable oil until smoking and drizzle carefully over the fish. There will a lot of dramatic sizzling noises.

The contact frying blends the flavours but most of the oil will stay at the bottom of the dish. Great no fuss dinner party dish and if you accidentally break the fish it won’t even show under the herbs.