Weight Loss Stalling, Exercise, Rest Days

Options
So my weight has been stalling for a month now. I weigh myself at the same time ever say and weigh my food as much as is possible. The thing is I have also started going to the gym.

Normally, I go everyday and run/walk on the treadmill for roughly 2 miles. Then I go and use the weight machines, alternating different areas of the body on different days. Now I haven't reached the point where I am extensively sore or fatigued and I do give muscle groups alternating breaks on the machines.

However, I guess I am wondering if going to the gym everyday is stalling the numbers on the scale? Would only going 5 days with 2 days rest help?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    If your exercise is not making you feel overtired, then no, it's not likely. If there were harm from too much exercise, it would be one of 3 things (that l can think of):

1. Water weight from muscle tissue repair (which is not fat gain, so who cares, fat loss will soon outpace it).
    2. Hunger from the exercise causing you to eat more (if you're tracking and controlling intake carefully, it's not this).
    2. Fatigue caused by the combination of exercise and (excessive?) calorie deficit bleeding over into your daily life energy level and causing you to burn fewer calories (lower NEAT/TDEE) in your daily routine (and you say you're not fatigued).

Since your exercise routine is relatively new, it's probably #1, and more patience would be the answer.

Also, if you're eating back exercise calories now - and you should eat at least some of them - it's worth considering whether they could be overestimated.

Bet wishes!
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym every day isn’t going to stall weight loss. Do whatever works for your schedule. Looking at your diary, your calorie consumption isn’t consistent. A lot of your daily logged meals are way over your set calorie goal. Be more consistent about staying around your set calorie goal. It also helps if you plan your meals for the day on MFP before you eat your meals. Just weigh your food as you prepare them or meal prep in advance that way you know how much to eat.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, how are you figuring those excersise calorie burns? Some are super high. Are you syncing a Fitbit or other HR fitness watch?
    Also, you take in a LOT of sodium. Maybe you're holding onto a lot of water weight.

And this has nothing to do with weight loss, but...eat some veggies! ;)

• PrincessSlytherin
    PrincessSlytherin Posts: 181 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yeah I have a fitbit HR. Maybe I will try only eating back 50% of what they give me.