Hotworx or Hot Pilates/Yoga/HIIT review?

Options
There's a Hotworx opening in my town and they've having opening membership deals so I'm thinking about getting a membership. Has anyone gone to a Hotworx gym or done something similar? Anyone have any thoughts or anecdotes on how helpful this would be with weightloss?

From the website: "HOTWORX is a virtually instructed exercise program created for users to experience the many benefits of infrared heat absorption, while completing a 30-minute isometric workout or 15-min High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) session."
They offer:
HOT ISO– Isometric Compression Postures (30 min)
HOT PILATES– Traditional Pilates (30 min)
HOT YOGA– Traditional Yoga (30 min)
HOT BUNS– Focus on the Glutes (30 min)
HOT ROLL- Self-Myofascial Release with a Foam Roller (30 min)
HOT CORE– Abs, Hips, and Lower Back (30 min)
HOT WARRIOR- Advanced Version of Hot Iso (30 min)
HOT ZEN– Meditate Your Way (30 min)
HOT CYCLE– HIIT Cycle Session (15 min)
HOT ROW– HIIT Row + Chest and Leg Press (15 min)

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to try before you buy. Try a class or a week or whatever before you commit.

What have been enjoyed up until now?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My only experience has been Hot Yoga. Completely hated it. And I love yoga.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    so i love the fun stuff. i do aerial work outs but i do not like hot *fill in the blank*
    it is super easy to get dehydrated. you do not need to sweat to detoxify. your body does that naturally on it's own -barring people with underlying disorders. it is so easy to get hurt. the heat helps you stretch farther. which can easily lead to overextension and injury.
    and the sweat factor can lead to injury too. you are sweaty and slippery.
    and virtually? horrible idea. since there is already a propensity for injury with the heat, alignment is key which is hard to do when it is being taught virtually
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's not going to affect weight loss. Calorie deficit is needed for weight loss. :)
  • laurellegriffin
    laurellegriffin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to try before you buy. Try a class or a week or whatever before you commit.

What have been enjoyed up until now?

I signed up for a 5 day free trial to see if I'll like it! Right now I'm not exercising at all, and I've been really struggling to get back into the gym. I used to weightlift and run, but it's really lost its appeal. I'm hoping that these hotworx will be something I enjoy enough to do regularly, help me lose a little weight and get a little strength, so that I can get back into the gym without feeling extremely out of shape (I've gained 30 pounds over the past year and a half. The appeal to me is that the classes are 15-30 minutes, so I'm hoping that it'll help me get started without it feeling like such a time commitment.

I've never done yoga, cycling, or anything beyond lifting weights so I don't know what to expect from it.
  • laurellegriffin
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    so i love the fun stuff. i do aerial work outs but i do not like hot *fill in the blank*
    it is super easy to get dehydrated. you do not need to sweat to detoxify. your body does that naturally on it's own -barring people with underlying disorders. it is so easy to get hurt. the heat helps you stretch farther. which can easily lead to overextension and injury.
    and the sweat factor can lead to injury too. you are sweaty and slippery.
    and virtually? horrible idea. since there is already a propensity for injury with the heat, alignment is key which is hard to do when it is being taught virtually

Do you think that the short classes mitigates any of these concerns? Also, I really didn't think of injury risks. But I'm not really understanding why the heat helping you stretch would lead to injury? I don't really buy into the "benefits" from the heat (detox, ect). I just figured it would help warm up your muscles, but was more of a gimmick to make you feel like you were working hard because of how much the heat makes you sweat.
  • laurellegriffin
    Options
    My only experience has been Hot Yoga. Completely hated it. And I love yoga.

What makes hot yoga worse than regular yoga, in your opinion?