My recent blood work...cholesterol rose significantly

Options
2»

Replies

• Gingergal12
    Gingergal12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well, I was shocked because my diet and exercise habits had been really good. My doctor contributed it to the loss of estrogen due to menopause and was pleased the A1C was in a healthy range and weight loss He has me on a low dose statin and will re-evaluate in November.
    The reason I am asking is to see if other people (or specifically 60 year old women) have experienced anything similar. Thank you for all of the helpful comments.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I wonder if its more likely low progesterone, ovaries still produce oestrogen for a fair time after menopause. Progesterone should cut in to produce the luteal phase, but often doesn't this accounts for may extended cycles. It is also involved in many menopausal symptoms and postmenopausal weight gain.

Its also possible for someone to experience some endocrine issue which prompts greater production of cholesterol. Pardon me for simply thinking.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, I was shocked because my diet and exercise habits had been really good. My doctor contributed it to the loss of estrogen due to menopause and was pleased the A1C was in a healthy range and weight loss He has me on a low dose statin and will re-evaluate in November.
    The reason I am asking is to see if other people (or specifically 60 year old women) have experienced anything similar. Thank you for all of the helpful comments.

What do your other numbers look like? Particularly, your triglycerides and Cholesterol/HDL ratio?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Total cholesterol indicates almost nothing. How were your triglycerides and HDL? You want a high HDL, which helps raise total cholesterol, and a lowish triglycerides. If you do include LDL, you need to look at particle size, otherwise it is fairly meaningless.... So many doctors don't seem to know this! :(

One of the easiest ways to reduce triglycerides and raise HDL, is to exercise, and cut refined carbs and sugars, as well as other grains and sugary fruit. Diets high in meats, eggs, dairy, seafood, veggies and some fruit almost always result in better cholesterol and tri's, and improved blood glucose too - low carb intake results in low blood glucose. The only people who should not eat that way to correct cholesterol and BG are those with familial hypercholesterolemia, and that is a small minority.

This is an interesting video on how to improve cholesterol within days.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jZu52duIqno

Weight loss results in lower triglycerides alone and improved metabolic markers. And the only universally acknowledged nutrition thing is the fact that fruits and veggies improve metabolic markers and health. Suggesting to cut it out is a bit short sighted.

I did not recommend that though... I said cut (not elimate) refined carbs and sugars, as well as other grains and sugary fruit. Those are universally thought to negatively affect metabolic markers and health for the typical person ( perhaps with sugary fruit being the exception for some).

Carbs generaly raise triglycerides and lower HDL in most people. YMMV
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Statins are not preventative of health problems in most post menopausal women. There are some really good cholesterol and station books out there that say pretty much the same thing.

If you were a middle aged man who had already had a heart attack, statins could be helpful. In older women, lower cholesterol is associated with increased mortality, from what I have read.

I would do your own research and talk with your doctor about it.

... And get you triglycerides and HDL tested.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Total cholesterol indicates almost nothing. How were your triglycerides and HDL? You want a high HDL, which helps raise total cholesterol, and a lowish triglycerides. If you do include LDL, you need to look at particle size, otherwise it is fairly meaningless.... So many doctors don't seem to know this! :(

One of the easiest ways to reduce triglycerides and raise HDL, is to exercise, and cut refined carbs and sugars, as well as other grains and sugary fruit. Diets high in meats, eggs, dairy, seafood, veggies and some fruit almost always result in better cholesterol and tri's, and improved blood glucose too - low carb intake results in low blood glucose. The only people who should not eat that way to correct cholesterol and BG are those with familial hypercholesterolemia, and that is a small minority.

Weight loss results in lower triglycerides alone and improved metabolic markers. And the only universally acknowledged nutrition thing is the fact that fruits and veggies improve metabolic markers and health. Suggesting to cut it out is a bit short sighted.

I did not recommend that though... I said cut (not elimate) refined carbs and sugars, as well as other grains and sugary fruit. Those are universally thought to negatively affect metabolic markers and health for the typical person ( perhaps with sugary fruit being the exception for some).

That is fairly ludicrous. You know how many plant based studies suggest otherwise? There are direct links to fruits, veggies and whole grains improving metabolic markers. Even Kevin Halls studies comparing Keto to LF/high sugar saw improvements in triglycerides, insulin, total cholesterol and pretty much every other markers. Don't confuse transient changes for long term effects. There is a reason why high carb societies are the healthiest on this planet. High sugar fruits like pineapple, bananas, apples and more aren't effecting you. Whole grains aren't either. What is is obesity and inactivity. No N=1 observation can ever disprove that. Because if we want, I can throw in my N=1 where my triglycerides went from 220 to 40.

That is fairly ludicrous. You know how many plant based studies suggest otherwise? There are direct links to fruits, veggies and whole grains improving metabolic markers. Even Kevin Halls studies comparing Keto to LF/high sugar saw improvements in triglycerides, insulin, total cholesterol and pretty much every other markers. Don't confuse transient changes for long term effects. There is a reason why high carb societies are the healthiest on this planet. High sugar fruits like pineapple, bananas, apples and more aren't effecting you. Whole grains aren't either. What is is obesity and inactivity. No N=1 observation can ever disprove that. Because if we want, I can throw in my N=1 where my triglycerides went from 220 to 40.

I was referring the carbs I already mentioned - mainly refined carbs and sugars. I thought I had made it clear which carbs I was talking about.

And I know that LFHC diets like Ornish can improve markers, but those diets are usually low in refined carbs too. Both LCHF and HCLF seem to work well. Higher fat and higher carb, usually refined carbs, seems like the least healthful choice.
  • Gingergal12
    Options

What do your other numbers look like? Particularly, your triglycerides and Cholesterol/HDL ratio?

• Gingergal12
    Options
    Triglycerides were high and ratio was not good, don’t have numbers because I’m traveling
  • psuLemon
    Options

I was referring the carbs I already mentioned - mainly refined carbs and sugars. I thought I had made it clear which carbs I was talking about.

And I know that LFHC diets like Ornish can improve markers, but those diets are usually low in refined carbs too. Both LCHF and HCLF seem to work well. Higher fat and higher carb, usually refined carbs, seems like the least healthful choice.

Even those don't have impacts unless you are gaining weight. They probably arent doing you favors, but its no different than fried fats and baked goods. Singling the carbs is a bit ahort sighted.

Ultimately, a person should eat a well balanced diet that enables fat loss, followee by exercise. Unsaturated fats, lean proteins and fibrous carbs will have the most improvements.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Triglycerides were high and ratio was not good, don’t have numbers because I’m traveling

What has your diet looked likel lately? Do you exercise?
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Even those don't have impacts unless you are gaining weight. They probably arent doing you favors, but its no different than fried fats and baked goods. Singling the carbs is a bit ahort sighted.

Ultimately, a person should eat a well balanced diet that enables fat loss, followee by exercise. Unsaturated fats, lean proteins and fibrous carbs will have the most improvements.

We just have differing opinions but do agree that some foods are better than others.

Speaking of weight loss, triglycerides will often go up during weight loss and for some time after. It's something to consider if it is found that triglycerides suddenly go up, or won't budge, while losing.