Help! Oil is depleting my daily Calorie

Options
yesevedo
yesevedo Posts: 87 Member
Hey erryone,
So... I’ve been using Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Classico brand) to cook my food. I really enjoy grilled errything ... particularly my nopales, squash, zuchini and onions... what can I do to maybe lower the amount of calories oil takes up. I know maybe using less will help but i grill almost my entire dinner and lunch (cuz its mostly veggies). Are there any alternatives out there that might be yummy and more respectful of my calories???

Replies

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    You could bake the veggies in the oven with a light drizzle of oil.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You can use a nonstick pan and less oil. Only a few drops. Or you can put everything on a sheet pan, spray with extra virgin olive oil, and oven roast. This adds back some of the flavor lost from oil. You can also start by stir-frying medium hot with just a tiny bit of oil, then when everything starts to brown, lower heat, add some stock and simmer until cooked soft. There are many techniques for cooking with less oil!
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't add it to the veggies, just the pan. Literally only takes 1/4 tsp to go over a non-stick pan.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Oil is an indulgence for me. I don't even keep it in the house.

You'd be surprised how far half a tablespoon goes. Just takes a little while to get used to.

You can also put it in a spray bottle of some sort.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,953 Member
    Options
    I use a couple or three teaspoons of oil a day, minimum.

And that suggestion of tossing in a bag is a good one. I usually just drizzle and mix in a bowl.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    The oil that I use to roast vegetables with is about the only fat that I get unless I eat cheese. I don't eat a lot things that have fat. I understand though...take a vegetable with few calories add oil and suddenly they are not so low calorie.

I use a sprayer (Misto) and pour my olive oil in to that and spray my vegetable on the sheet pan. You can get by using less oil plus you don't waste your olive oil. I also use parchment paper so that I don't have to spray the roasting pan.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    First, try using parchment paper or non-stick foil on your roasting pans. Then use an olive oil spray (like Pam Organic) and use the tiniest mist possible. Or, I use a bit of veggie stock. for grilling, you really don’t need any oil.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    How much oil are you using? A lot of family sized meals only call for about a tablespoon. If you like oil that much, then you need to consider if the amount of calories that it has is worth it. There are so many ways to cook without oil. If you feel like the vegetables need flavor, use seasoning/fresh herbs/ crushed garlic/ hot sauce/ soy sauce/ marinara sauce/ mustard or another low calorie condiment. If you like the crisp that it gives vegetables, try using a lower calorie margarine or butter substitute instead. Melt a tablespoon onto a small plate and rub the vegetables through it with your hands so you can get a little coat on each piece.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Can’t you dry grill the veggies? Other option is to eat your veggies as a salad or steam vegetables so you don’t need oil.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yesevedo wrote: »
    Hey erryone,
    So... I’ve been using Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Classico brand) to cook my food. I really enjoy grilled errything ... particularly my nopales, squash, zuchini and onions... what can I do to maybe lower the amount of calories oil takes up. I know maybe using less will help but i grill almost my entire dinner and lunch (cuz its mostly veggies). Are there any alternatives out there that might be yummy and more respectful of my calories???

Why do you need oil if you're grilling?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    All oils are calorie dense.
    Oven roasting doesn't need much oil. As another poster advised, use a zip lock gallon size bag to mix your veggies with whatever oil you like and spices.
    Same can be done with grilling veggies. I have a basket that I use on the grill for cooking bite sized pieces of veggies so they don't fall through the grate. A non-aerosole mister for oil is nice for using whatever oil you like. You shouldn't need oil if your grill is properly seasoned. When your grill is hot, use tongs to take a paper towel folded up, dipped in oil to season the grate to prevent sticking. This doesn't take much oil.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a tiny mister bottle for the oil. Lightly mist them if you wish.
    You really don't need a lot.
    I often just use a pat of butter and that's all. Try it tonight and see what you think.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    This is a timely thread for me, I've been wanting to make homemade falafel but the recipe calls for way too much oil to fry them in. I think I'll try just lightly spraying my pan, I have a mister so that's perfect.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I use olive, sunflower, and sesame oil for cooking and eating, but small amounts. I will drizzle 1/2 tsp. on hummus and avocado, 1/2 tbsp. on a sheet pan of veggies, or use 1/2 tbsp. to brown onions, garlic, carrots, celery when I am making soup, or cook eggs in 1 tsp of olive oil. I also use it in homemade salad dressings (1tbsp oil, 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegrette, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, and fresh or powdered spices, salt, and pepper). Oil adds flavor, helps you feel full, and improves the "mouth feel" of food. The key is to use it in dishes with lots of veggies and healthy protein where it will add a lot of flavor.