Consumable Pet Peeves?

Options
13»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    When I'm browsing the internets for food ideas and low cal recipes have pictures of bounteous dishes of food instead of showing what one serving of it looks like.

Yes, and similarly, all the recipes which don't actually tell you how many grams is one serving size.

It would be nice to have at least an estimate.

I import these recipes into the recipe creator on EatThisMuch. All the cups and pieces have a gram value, and you can view nutrition per a certain gram amount (after saving the recipe). I know it's not accurate because anything being cooked ends up losing weight, but it's such a useful number to compare things. If the original number of servings results in a low weight, I either ditch the recipe or edit the number of servings. Sometimes I don't even go by servings, I enter "600 grams" for example, and it gives me the ingredient amounts for that rough amount, or even keep playing with the weight until I'm at the exact calorie amount I want. Such a handy tool. If I make something there, I just quick-add the calories here because they are from official databases that can be trusted.
    v1p7bwwhxyun.png

• dharma842
    dharma842 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bad vegan protein powder
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Small, Medium, Large as measures. My idea of small may be vastly different from someone else's idea of small.

Or, "a handful..." of nuts (or raisins, etc.) as a suggestion for a healthy snack.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    When I'm browsing the internets for food ideas and low cal recipes have pictures of bounteous dishes of food instead of showing what one serving of it looks like.

Yes, and similarly, all the recipes which don't actually tell you how many grams is one serving size.

It would be nice to have at least an estimate.

"Serves 4-6." Not so helpful.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Anything like Lenny and Larry's cookies, where they make one cookie two servings. I'm not gonna eat a half of a cookie and save the other half for later, especially when the packaging doesn't reseal. Same thing with Poptarts, although I haven't had those in years.

This is probably my biggest. For example, what is clearly a single serving size of chips but when you read the label it says 2 1/2 servings. Just list the calories for the whole bag for pete's sake!

Microwavable lasagne in a 6x8 tray that's 300 calories per serving... 2 servings. In that one tiny tray. And if you've brought it with you to work for lunch? What are you to do with the leftovers?

Have the second serving tomorrow? Just saying....

I don't think you're supposed to re-microwave microwaved food.

Really?!? Is this truly a thing? I do it all the time.

Me too; just not in the same container I originally cooked it in.

The plastic in the microwave thing has been debunked, I think. Another of those miniscule issues that the media blew up into a major "cancer-causing threat."

I thought it was to do with food poisoning not cancer but to be fair my continuing education on microwaves appears to have stopped some time in the 90s. :D
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,272 Member
    Options
    Mangoes. I love them. They are often on really good sale around here. But I am horrible at cutting them up and feel like I am wasting SO much of the fruit.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I had a can of soup the other day. It said the serving size was one cup and there were "about 2" servings per can. According to the label, calories for a cup were 130. and calories per container were 300. Made my head hurt.

But I ate the soup anyway and just logged 300 calories. I was not up for more math than that.