Dat sugar, doe

Options
I love drinking water. I love vegetables. I love counting calories. I love going to the gym.

I also love conchas. And ice cream! And cookies! In very, very large portions :persevere:

Every day, I start out eating healthy. And every night, I end up telling my husband, "Tomorrow - I'll start tomorrow!" And every night, he just laughs, 'cuz he knows it's bull.

But I don't want it to be! Is is lack of motivation? Lack of self-control? Or am I really addicted to sugar? And if so, I mean... how do you guys do it? Do you just say no to sweets altogether? Or do you have the discipline to only have half, or a serving, or a couple? How do you say no, when everyone already knows you love sweets, and loves to watch you eat them happily, and you feel bad saying no, 'cuz they give you that look, like, "Oh' c'mon, you know you want to!" !

How do YOU relate to sugar?

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I got diabetes so I needed to get my relationship to sugar under control quickly. For me, what works is going cold turkey on quick acting refined sugars which knock my blood glucose around and cause cravings, as well as being hyper-sweet, for about two weeks. After that length of time, my blood sugar is much more regular and my taste buds have readjusted to find natural sugars, such as the ones in fruit and dairy, more sweet, and the cravings are gone. Then I was able to add moderate portions of sweeter foods back to my diet.

Some people can moderate, some prefer to abstain. If you find yourself repeatedly eating food you didn't plan to eat, try not buying it or having it in your house for a while.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    What goes into my mouth is entirely my decision, whether it's sugar or not.

I log everything before I consume it. That lets me see the calories and nutrition so that I can decide if I really want it and, if so, how much. If I do decide to overindulge, I hop right back on the wagon the next time I consume something.

As for other people, "no, thank you" works. You may have to say it 6 times while staring them in the eyes but practice doing so in a mirror if you are having trouble doing it in person.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the "you know you want to" people are not your friends. You have your health today, but if you continue down the path of being obese, it raises your risk of all kinds of major illnesses. Don't end up with a permanent illness, like me. Get healthy today and tell anyone who stands in your way to get with the program or leave.
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    2 months ago I was drinking maybe 10 cans of soft drink (soda) a day; 540g of sugar from just that alone :open_mouth:

I gave up added sugar and soft drinks and don't miss it at all. Most days now my sugar (from milk, fruit, veges) is now below 60mg and most of it is from milk (lactose). I certainly feel better. The week after I gave up added sugar my eyesight changed and everything close up was blurry but my Dr said this was expected and now my eyesight is back to normal and I think better!
  • jazzadesigns
    jazzadesigns Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth. I was eating lots of cake, cookies, candy, ice cream, etc. for years. Now I don’t even crave it at all. When someone brings sweets into work (almost every week) I am able to pass it by. It may be really hard to make it through the first couple of weeks, but hopefully you will stop craving it as much then.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My diet has gone through a major overhaul the last four years, but so have my attitudes towards food, too.

I eat meals, and usually not between meals, except an occasional treat. Drinks between meals is water, black coffee and unsweetened tea.
    I plan meals I want to eat, and enjoy them.
    I cook and prepare balanced and varied, and tasty and delicious meals.
    No foods are off limits. No foods are healthy or unhealthy, good or bad. No food should be eaten in unlimited amounts.
    I am no longer a person who eats all the time.
    I don't eat just to eat anymore, or to remove temptation, because I'm bored, or sad, or agitated.
    I don't deliberately expose myself to unnecessary temptation; I schedule food shopping, shop with a list, and keep only a small stock of treat foods at home.
    I don't accept every offer of food anymore. When I decide what I want to eat, I choose whatever I want most, of what and how much will keep me going until next meal.
    I do not tell others that I "shouldn't" eat something. Either I accept it, or don't.
    I don't do any "exercise", but I'm more active on the daily.
    I weigh myself every day, and keep an eye on the trend; if it creeps upwards, I'll cut down on extras.
    I no longer try to be good, but aim to feel good. Eating and moving like I do now, doesn't make me feel smug, but snug.

I find it a bit strange that you're asking if you're addicted to sugar, and then mention sweets and foods that have as much as, or more, of their energy in the form of fat.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I pre-log all my food for the day in the morning. That way I know if I have wiggle room or need to do some working out to eat something special or fun in the afternoon.
    yes, you don't want to hear this but self control is the only way you can overcome this. or just work out a TON more so that the calories fit into your day. Self control is hard especially around food you love but once you get in the habit it gets easier. Don't deprive yourself of anything, just make it fit into your day.
    I gave up sweets for Lent which is the 40 days leading up to Easter. I can't say I ever fully didn't want sweets but when the time came to be able to eat them again I certainly didn't dive into a cake or anything. I had little pieces here or there and I still am doing ok with not eating much of it.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I buy little bites of sugar...so I can indulge without breaking the bank. I love sugar too...and I can get a 15 calorie sweet treat and be satisfied w a couple of those.