Thoughts on working out with an injury

Options
Avidkeo
Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
Hey all. 9 weeks ago I was in a car accident and have been getting pain in my trapezious and shoulder since. It's fine at rest, and only hurts when Im at work, or do a lot of lifting above my head - imagine a radiographer so have to move a heavy machine around all day. I have been working out intermittently since the accident, and have never had pain when doing weights, cardio, HIIT or running. It's only really when lifting my arms above my head repeatedly.

My drs and physiotherapist are all giving me different advice about what exercise I can do, from nothing at all through to go for gold and modify if it hurts.

What are your thoughts? Anyone had anything similar? I don't want to do anything that will delay healing but desperately want to get back to exercise!

Thanks all

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I don't want to do anything that will delay healing

Delay healing of what? What were the findings of the scans? Muscular injuries generally need less coddling than, say, a torn tendon or a herniated disk.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't know but if it hurts, that can't be good. Can't you stick to spin or running until your upper body is better?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    In my view, if your doctor says an activity is safe AND doing that activity doesn't hurt, then it's probably fine.

I would talk to the doctor about what specific things hurt and what you should do about those. It's hard to tell what sort of pain can be "worked through" without professional advice.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this." (waves arm around)
    Doctor: "Then stop doing that."

There's a difference between being hurt and being injured. You HAVE to listen to your body. If you feel that lifting over your head is not a good idea until you heal more, then you can do lots of things besides overhead lifts. Is it pushing AND pulling? Anything over the head, period?

My back is hurt and its causing me a ton of leg issues where the pain is not comfortable at all. I know its nerve pain but it feels like I'm ripping a muscle when I do certain activities so I am avoiding those until I can get some clarity around treatment or it starts to heal. For example, I can't do a deadlift of any kind (even weightless) but lunges I can do all day. Go figure...

Just listen to your medical team and your body. You could always start off with VERY light weights and see how you respond the next day or two afterwards?

Good luck! Glad you're not more hurt than sore shoulders!

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do exercises that don't involve lifting your arms above your head repeatedly.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Thanks guys. My ultrasound showed a very slight inflammation of the biceps tendon. The orthopaedic surgeon said it's torn ligaments and tendons in my trapezious that will take time. I'm still waiting for an MRI (in new Zealand, scanners are scarce)

My instinct is as long as it's no hurting, it should be fine. So basically lower body and cardio. Maybe light weights for upper body. It's just frustrating having a physiotherapist say do nothing, not even brisk walking, and a gp say as long as it isn't hurting go for it.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. My ultrasound showed a very slight inflammation of the biceps tendon. The orthopaedic surgeon said it's torn ligaments and tendons in my trapezious that will take time. I'm still waiting for an MRI (in new Zealand, scanners are scarce)

My instinct is as long as it's no hurting, it should be fine. So basically lower body and cardio. Maybe light weights for upper body. It's just frustrating having a physiotherapist say do nothing, not even brisk walking, and a gp say as long as it isn't hurting go for it.

I support part of your "instinct" as it relates to lower body and cardio, as long as you are being careful to have adequate nutritional support (i.e. eating at maintenance). I most definitely would not exercise torn ligaments and would also not stress an injured bicep.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

What did your orthopedic surgeon say in terms of what not to do? I personally would go with your physio's advice over your GP's given that the physio likely has more experience and training in treating this type of injury. If your ortho and physio have conflicting advice I would ask them to communicate with each other about your case.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

What did your orthopedic surgeon say in terms of what not to do? I personally would go with your physio's advice over your GP's given that the physio likely has more experience and training in treating this type of injury. If your ortho and physio have conflicting advice I would ask them to communicate with each other about your case.

I didn't actually think to ask the ortho sadly. He did say if there were any tears they would be minor because I still have full range of motion. It just begins to hurt after repetitive activity at work. It had improved over the last couple of weeks. Sadly I haven't been able to see my physiotherapist in the last 2 weeks - I've been on holiday, then he was lol. And I live really rural, about 2hrs from the nears city so cant just go see a different one.

I'll make a point to chat with him Monday, get updated advice because it's 9 weeks now since the accident.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I wonder whether your workplace duties are exacerbating the inflammation. Is it possible for them to give you an accommodation so you don't have to lift as often? Maybe 3 to 4 weeks a coworker could help you out? That could help you heal up faster, while you limit your overhead lifts at work.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    well floating in a pool is nice for healing.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I would definitely check with physio. I experienced some injuries and always was unsure, and today I flat out asked my physiotherapist to clarify what I can/should do (I injured myself trying to do moderate exercise after not doing much for a while). She told me very specifically, max at 25min of low-impact exercise, ideally swimming, walking and bike is okay too. My injury is in my leg though, so it'll probably be a bit different. If it's inflamation they may want you to do certain stretches or apply heat before and after any activity (I'm doing heat and stretches and foam rolling yay lol).

Something my physiotherapist told me today that seems kinda common sense, but I thought was great, was if I get sore there when exercising, back off by 5min, if I feel confident at 25 for a while, add 5min and so on. Yours is more a certain position, but probably the same principle of "start small, add a little, back off a bit" etc could be useful.