uneven muscle

Options
JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
edited April 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
So my left shoulder is significantly weaker then my right.

My issue is my left shoulder, It loses form with a 20 pound lateral raise meanwhile i can pull 120 and push 75, squat 210 and core exercises around 175 give or take based on mchines fairly easily (still new to gyms trying to raise slowly lol i realize its not the exact same muscles but its only comparison i have). Its clear to me that my right side has been doing most the work and im looking for advice on how to work to correct the imbalance.

Its weirdly emberassing to lose form and struggle with such a low weight again and seems like such a step back since i literally lift thousands of pounds of furniture for 5-8 hours daily for work but ill do what it takes to fix it now to save any future issues/ an even more lopsided strength.

It sort of makes alot of sense since to lift the furniture up to the truck i use my right side which is like lifting a couch for example up to chest height to slide in so it strengthened my one side alot more then the other. Or lifting above my head to help make stairs easier on the boys. I have noticed once its lifted its shifted to my right arm to stabilize as we climb.

Any suggestions welcomed. Please and thankyou

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Rather than using machines you could try dumbbells for pressing and pulling movements. That will engage the individual stabilizers on each side and won't allow the strong side to compensate for the strong as with machine or barbell movements. Over time this should help even out any asymmetries.

Would it be possible to apply this same principle to your job? Gradually try lifting more with your left side to bring it up even with your right?
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Rather than using machines you could try dumbbells for pressing and pulling movements. That will engage the individual stabilizers on each side and won't allow the strong side to compensate for the strong as with machine or barbell movements. Over time this should help even out any asymmetries.

Would it be possible to apply this same principle to your job? Gradually try lifting more with your left side to bring it up even with your right?

as stupid as it probably is since i discovered my weakness iv been doing shoulder "shrugs" and trying to hold with my left side a bit more as i walk holding stuff like dressers to try to work my one shoulder out a bit lol im completely clueless on how to make it stronger without also making my right side stronger from work i sense it will be a long process since its not like i can just stop or slow down the lifting on my right side from work.

I will look into some good dumbell routines, Should i try maybe lower weigh on my right side so im maintaining the muscle but not building it - Like if i can do 20 pounds on my left but 50 on my right maybe do the 20 on one side and 30-35 on the otherish? until i can build my left side up to match
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    So my right side is stronger than my left as well. When I'm doing single limb lifts I always start with my left and then do my right to match. Usually this is less challenging on my right side but I'm hoping to catch my left side up.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I follow. How do you know one side is stronger/weaker than the other? You say your left side/shoulder loses form with a 20lb lateral raise... does the right side do better (not lose form, able to lift more weight, whatever)?

I wouldn't compare lateral raises to pushes, pulls, squats, core, etc.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow. How do you know one side is stronger/weaker than the other? You say your left side/shoulder loses form with a 20lb lateral raise... does the right side do better (not lose form, able to lift more weight, whatever)?

I wouldn't compare lateral raises to pushes, pulls, squats, core, etc.

ya its stupid easy for my right side but my left bows out and fails super quick
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    What I do with some of our clients that are imbalanced is start your set with your weaker side and do 2 more reps on the weaker side. Seems to help with most clients as well as myself. Your body adapts well and quickly, so you’ll get there quickly.