Are 'starchy' fruit/vegetables bad for your weightloss?

I've seen a few people claim recently that fruit/veg such as bananas, mangos, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, white and sweet potatoes (if you count them as a vegetable!!) aren't great for weightloss.

Is there any truth in this?? I know that white potato isn't thought to be ideal but I wouldn't have thought that bananas/carrots etc would slow one's weightloss down.

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light either way really! :)

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    IIFYM
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    I eat all of those and have lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks.

So, no.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    A calorie deficit is what is needed for weight loss and those items you listed can still be consumed during the process. Unless you have some type of medical condition, eat them.
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    I also eat all of the above (okay, minus peas....I freaking hate peas :p ) and have lost weight. I'm not doubting that you can lose weight eating the above...just wondering if there's any legit science that shows 'starchy' veg/fruit might slow down one's weightloss
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    I'd say that carrots and bananas are an integral part of my diet and I've lost weight. As long as you have a calorie deficit, you can lose weight.
  • those foods promote weight loss...whats wrong with people on this site? jeeeeez
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I find them very helpful, not to mention nutritional.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    IIFYM

QFT

As simple as that
  • FarAway02
    those foods promote weight loss...whats wrong with people on this site? jeeeeez

I've never seen anyone on this site saying starchy fruit/veg are 'bad' for you. :)
  • FarAway02
    Again, not implying these foods are really BAD for you. Just wondering if they're NOT AS GOOD as some other fruit/veg?

Personally I've not had any problems - I eat both white and sweet potato in my weekly staple diet and have been losing weight fine :)
  • Mangos have a high level of sugar, but still mangos are fruit, so it would depend on how much exercise you do to include it in your meals, that if you want to loose weight. I've heard from my coach/doctor that carrots, corn and potatoes are not good when it comes to dieting, still, I eat sweet potatoes instead of just potatoes, according to my coach they are way more better.
  • watercolorarteest
    watercolorarteest Posts: 68 Member
    I eat baby carrots as one of my 4-5 servings of vegetables a day... not because it may be considered "starchy" but rather for the fiber content. My bootcamp trainers say that good carbs (starches) can be eaten best after a workout as a recovery food.

Otherwise, I try to stick to PPW (protein, produce and water). Not always easy, but it's working because I'm also keeping a calorie deficit but not at the expense of protein/muscle.

I don't know if that helps. Good luck! :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member
    Yes they are, no doubt about it. They actually bypass thermodynamics and deposit directly into fatty tissue.................except plantains because they taste crappy from the get go. true story.