TRAUMATIZED by video of myself

Options
Does this happen to you guys? You see a picture or in this case it was a video (which I’m convinced is 1000/x worse) and you just fall apart because you can’t believe that’s you???

It should motivate me to work harder but sometimes it makes me feel hopeless and just want to sit and binge on Netflix and ice cream.

How do fight that disappointment and sadness?

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of on the opposite end. I was so skinny before due to an autoimmune flare, and now I'm at a healthy weight thank goodness. I always tear up when I look at old pictures because I didn't realize how frightening I was.

Now I just hate the sound of my voice too. :D
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I try to remind myself that my perception of my appearance is different from how other people view me (well, most people...we won't include people who don't like me, hahaha). Think about a friend you have you think is so put together and beautiful, but they think they look terrible. In my head I like to imagine I'm a super sexy fitness model, and photos/mirrors/videos help me remember I'm not and keep me honest. :D Then there's a back and forth in my head between sadness that I'm not now, never have been, and never will be a fitness model versus happiness that I'm not nearly as physically immobile as I used to be and that everything is improving.
  • Anneboleynsrevenge
    Anneboleynsrevenge Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Catching a glimpse of myself can ruin my whole day :(
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Reign in disappointment and sadness into a fighting spirit cause boo hooing gets you nowhere!!!
  • tweedabird
    tweedabird Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow, yeah lots of good thoughts here. Thanks a lot.

It's very true that others don't see us the way we see ourselves. (Thank goodness! lol)

Ok...so refocusing. Tomorrow I'm going to try to go for a walk. I'm gonna keep meal planning and choosing whole foods. I look forward to the time I catch a glimpse and go whoa...I'm looking better!!
  • FeliciaFancy
    FeliciaFancy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It is really hard!
    I have a fat photo that I can't look at ... I didn't realise things had gotten that bad :s
    But even now when I've lost a decent amount of weight, there are still areas of my body that doesn't seem to want to let go of that fat.
    Soooo frustrating!
    Each day is a new day and I will get there
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Atta girl!
  • tweedabird
    tweedabird Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well said @noumena_ Nice to know I'm not the only one.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    noumena_ wrote: »
    This literally happened to me a couple weeks ago, right after joining MFP and deciding to change my life. I work with kids and apparently make quite a few appearances in their youtube "vlogs" by being in the background.

When I saw the videos I felt everything inside me completely fall apart. I was ready to give up on my diet right then and there. I knew I was overweight but I didn't think it was so bad. It was hard for me to look at people for a while after realizing what they were actually seeing when they looked at me. I was horrified and so so embarrassed.

We can do this, though. We do have the ability to change our lives and the day can come when we will see ourselves in videos and photos and say "hot damn i look *kitten* awesome!" We DO have that ability. It will be hard work, but I would pay a million dollars to never feel the way I felt after seeing those videos again.

It's all about the after photo. The confidence. The new clothes. The happiness. The unembarrassing photos. The joy of catching our lives on video and not being horrified with it.

I can skip a bag of potato chips for that.

Wow. This comment really got me in the feels. I too work with kids (middle & high school teacher) and I am always so terrified that they'll end up filming me. I realise everyday that I'm fat, because I have trouble fitting into my clothes. But I never realise just how overweight I am until I see myself in a photo or video. I can completely relate to the horror and deep embarrassment (shame) that you mentioned.

I'm going to remember your last two paragraphs because they are important. I need to remind myself of similar frequently.
  • abel12mfp
    abel12mfp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes I can very much relate, it sucks doesn't it? Especially when I have been working hard at eating better and exercise for a long time, and then happen to see myself in a picture and think "Oh man i've still got a long way to go !" I try hard not to let it demotivate my goals but it can get depressing.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Catch yourself full of joy.

https://www.facebook.com/candaceSpayne/videos/10209653193067040/

It’s not just about the body.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    While it can be motivating to get a clear picture of yourself, I’d like you to step forward doing things that honour who you are. Both now and where you will be.

https://www.facebook.com/nbcnightlynews/videos/10153693856113689/