Calculating grams per serving (serving size) in my fitness pal when entering recipes.

Options
Is there an easy way to figure out portion sizes when entering recipes or another app I can use cause right now im just beyond upset with myself.

I cook almost every night tediously weighing every ingredient and entering it into myfitness pal. I usually take a wild guess at how many servings then try to adjust for portion sizes when I am done using grams. Well today I just found out that I have been entering the calories for each ingredient and not the grams. It didnt even click until now that the calorie amount i am serving should not equal grams per serving. For some reason i thought it was just a coincedence that the grams per serving equaled the calories per serving.

I have been wondering why I havent been losing weight but now I know its because I have been giving myself a much larger portion size then needed.

I dont know if im not understanding the recipe builder or if im missing something that is clearly there but any comments, sugguestions, or apps to help track homemade recipe serving sizes and calories will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I weigh the final product in grams and use that number for servings. So one gram will equal one serving. Then, if I scoop out say 123g then I enter 123 servings.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The way I do it is add each ingredient manually having weighed it first. I don't divide into portions at this stage as it varies how much I will have...so I record as 1 big portion (which will obviously be a lot of calories). Once the meal is made I'll weigh the meal to know how much the whole thing weighs .. so if it weighs 1000 grams and I eat 200g I've had 20% so I'll log that as 0.2 of the meal.

This may sound like a very complicated method but this is the only way I understand it - I have quite a few recipes and it seems to be working as I'm consistently losing. I'm sure someone will have a simpler way to do this.
  • sharneseconey7376
    sharneseconey7376 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I weigh the final product in grams and use that number for servings. So one gram will equal one serving. Then, if I scoop out say 123g then I enter 123 servings.

Haha thanks so much. I feel so silly. i didnt even think of that.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Haha thanks so much. I feel so silly. i didnt even think of that.

No need to feel silly, that calculator is cumbersome and glitchy. Be sure to double check each item too. Often times it will pick a wholly different item that what you described. I usually have to correct at least half the entries it chooses.