Switched from Weight Watchers

Hi everyone! I switched from WW to MFP last month. I am maintaining BUT very nervous. I think I was only averaging 1,000-1,100 calories while losing weight. So even eating 1200 is freaking me out! Anyone out there switch successfully and maintain?

Replies

• geltner1
    geltner1 Posts: 85 Member
    Accurate logging is the key. I always subtract my exercise calories. If not, it would be unhealthy semi-starvation. I think it's more important to be honest than to measure like a scientist. Welcome!
  • sldesroch
    sldesroch Posts: 6 Member
    Oh my goodness kommodevaran - I didn’t mean to hug and woo you. The buttons are too close on my phone!
  • sldesroch
    Thank you for the replies! I do measure and track everything. I am aiming for 1500 cal per day but I am going up gradually so my body doesn’t react and gain. I am 51 so I may only be able to eat 1400-1500 to maintain and more on my active days (3 -4 days per week). I was more concerned that I wrecked my metabolism on WW.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    You didn’t wreck you metabolism on WW. I did WW for years, maintained there, maintain here. I still participate on these boards to keep my focus. WW is just calorie counting in disguise.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Don't freak out, maintenance is great. For you it might feel daunting because before you didn't know how many calories a day you were eating, MFP is changing that and thats a good thing. Its good to be calorie aware in general.
    Your maintenance calories for one thing will not be 1200 unless you're very short. What calories did MFP give you to maintain your current weight?
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Welcome. I was a chronic WW member in that I belonged but rarely ever lost any weight, lol. Here I have lost and maintained. What I love about MFP is that I have found the diet that works for me. Everyone's life and preferences are different so this has been most useful for me. I am 61 and 5'5" tall and I lost on 1200 calories a day. You should be fine because you look lots younger than me and age really does slow you down. Good luck.
  • sldesroch
    @LivingtheLeanDream I was given 1550. I am babysitting 3 active grandchildren this week and have been earning 500-600 in Fitbit activity calories. I eat about 60-75% of those plus my 1550 because I am so hungry from moving so much!
  • sldesroch
    @cheryldumais I am 51 and 5’ 6.5” (I used to be 5’7” lol). I think I am finally relaxing into MFP. I have maintained for 6 weeks now (within 1 pound of 140 each week).
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    I wish I could find the study that I am going to tell you about. I searched, but couldn't find it. If anyone know about it and has a link, can you post it here? However, a few years ago, an extensive study was done that looked at the satisfaction of maintainers that had used various programs. Top of the list was MFP. Weight Watchers was somewhere in the middle. I, too, have used WW in the past, and it just never worked for me. I know other people that have had huge, long-term success with it. I love how easy it is to log on MFP, and I love the fact that I don't have to attend meetings that, for me, were never all that helpful. After the first few weeks of unwieldy logging in meals, MFP became so easy!!! I usually eat the same breakfast and the same lunch, so logging is a snap. I have tons of restaurant meals that I figured out years ago on there, and that is also a snap now. I even know what to order and what the calories are at places where, really, there isn't a darn thing on the menu that's healthy or that my picky self would allow me to eat. At almost 3 years of maintenance, it has been simple, and the forums are great. OP, I'm glad you are "finally relaxing"into it. The transition, once made, is something you will be glad you did.