Never Met A Jerk At The Gym

2»

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Last week, when I was doing squats, a random guy came over and put his hands on my waist.

I don't go there to be offended, but that's kind of hard to ignore.

Did he think he was helping / trying to spot you or something?

Not trying to defend the guy, I'd be pissed off at that too as I like my personal space. I just think he might've been a little ignorant and thought he was doing you a favour. I've seen similar happen to some guys at my old gym, random people coming to help spot them. I understand how it can be dangerous if you're not expecting it, I don't like random people spotting my squats at all! (apart from my partner)

In you think that might be the case, it would probably help to have a word with him after, tell him you're managing fine on your own and if he does it again, then feel free to go and complain to staff / have a go at him.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    When I had my induction at the gym I was being shown all of the cardio machines (cross-trainer, treadmill etc) and he demonstrated how to use them.. Then when I asked how to use the weight machines and what free-weights he suggested he said "you don't need to worry about that, it's only for men"

A few weeks later I'd researched online how to use them all and taught myself.. I see the instructor in the gym now when he doing his own workout and I can lift heavier than him.

Ooh yea ;)

Good for you!! I hate that sort of BS "advice", surprised it still exists tbh!
  • ygglove
    ygglove Posts: 102 Member
    I didn't run in to any jerks either- When I HAD a gym membership (I work out at home now).. a group of extremely fit/hot guys came to work out next to me and my friend... I was like "oh great how awkward", and then they started laughing (and of course my subconscious thought that they were making fun of two fatties at the gym)... but it turns out they were just having a good time working out. They ended up helping us out with exercises, and encouraged us. Soo sometimes the person you think is being a jerk- might really be YOU and your subconscious.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I've been the jerk in the gym, giving the 2 guys doing curls in the 2 squat racks flack for hogging up the squat racks (it burned by biscuits even more when I figured out they were lifting partners). Other then that, I've not been a jerk and I've not encountered a jerk. Mostly I get questions about my routine and inquiries if I'm a trainer.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Last week, when I was doing squats, a random guy came over and put his hands on my waist.

Or, just playing devil's advocate here, maybe he thought you were struggling and was trying to spot you. Granted, he should have asked you but there MIGHT be a legit reason for him touching you.

yeah...I don't think so. I've had a trainer spot me on squats...I honestly did not know he was there until I needed him. He still never put his hands on me. Actually, the only time ANYONE has put their hands on me was when I was having issues with form while doing BOSU lunges. My trainer grasped my ankle and positioned my foot., after asking permission.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member

That's funny, the same thing happened to me the other day ...
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I try to avoid all conversation with anyone I do not know when I am at the gym. Though one time I did mention to one lady that she looked like she had lost a lot of weight over the time I had seen her going to the Y. Didn't say anything else. Wasn't a line or conversation starter. Just a simple acknowledgement.
    The only other time I say anything is when someone obviously knew is trying to figure out a machine and an attendant isn't nearby to help. Would I be a jerk if I just stayed silent watching them struggle and delay the workout? Maybe.
    I can't control what others do but I can control my own behavior and reactions.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Some people get stuck on the small things in life. I would be annoyed a little by lack of gym etiquette but once I handle it (wipe done, rerack, etc) the issue is over to me.

exactly. for some reason a very high percentage of MFP users let the small things really bother them. maybe there is some psych correlation here. people that tend to let every little thing bother them tend to over eat and thats why there are so many easily offended people here?
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    I have only been offended by someone sneaking into the squat rack while I went to fill my water bottle during a break between sets... even though I left everything racked as well as my phone and workout book IN the rack. But he got scared and ran away when I came back.

Oh and quarter squats... those are offensive.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Some people get stuck on the small things in life. I would be annoyed a little by lack of gym etiquette but once I handle it (wipe done, rerack, etc) the issue is over to me.

exactly. for some reason a very high percentage of MFP users let the small things really bother them. maybe there is some psych correlation here. people that tend to let every little thing bother them tend to over eat and thats why there are so many easily offended people here?

I think we've just reached a tipping point in society where people actually believe they were born with the right to never have to see or hear anything that offends them. Thus, if they find something offensive, they don't have to just get over it like people did in the olden days. They get to whine about it and ask that something be done to prevent it from ever happening again. So, everything is now offensive.

But putting your hands on people ... that's something that is just not going to go unaddressed with me. I don't freaking care what your intent was; keep your damned hands to yourself. It's something you should've learned when you were like 5. And anyone who knows anything about lifting should know better than to walk up behind someone who is mid-squat and put their hands on that person.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member

I think we've just reached a tipping point in society where people actually believe they were born with the right to never have to see or hear anything that offends them. Thus, if they find something offensive, they don't have to just get over it like people did in the olden days. They get to whine about it and ask that something be done to prevent it from ever happening again. So, everything is now offensive.

But putting your hands on people ... that's something that is just not going to go unaddressed with me. I don't freaking care what your intent was; keep your damned hands to yourself. It's something you should've learned when you were like 5. And anyone who knows anything about lifting should know better than to walk up behind someone who is mid-squat and put their hands on that person.

definitely good points.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Everyone I have met at the gym has been polite and willing to spot me. No one complaining about my rest sets, the occasional inquiry as to how many sets I have left.

No issues at all.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member

Or, just playing devil's advocate here, maybe he thought you were struggling and was trying to spot you. Granted, he should have asked you but there MIGHT be a legit reason for him touching you.

If you sneak on someone mid lift you are risking them injured cause you might startle them and cause them to lose form or the weights. Unless you grab the weights in a way to lessen the weight on their muscles/form.

True. Like I said, just saying there is a possibility that no harm was intended.

For instance, I know a.... guy. yeah. A guy. And he had a very close friend whom he frequently came up from behind, and placed a hand on this girl's belly, and drew her in tight against his chest. One night, I... er.. this guy, walked into the room, and saw this girl standing at the desk talking on the phone. The guy went up behind her, and wrapped his arms around her waist, and ran his hadn over her abdomen. She turned around, and it turned out to be someone he barely knew. Luckily, she was cool with it, and they just shared a laugh. I mean she looked just like Kate from behind. Most embarrasing thing I.. er.. he ever did.

Legitimate mistake, and fairly intimate touching. Whoops.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    I don't think have ever had anything that has offended me at the gym. Annoyed, yes. I have been annoyed many times. I don't thinl most people are genuinely trying to offend as much as they just don't understand some simple gym etiquette.
  • Tinyfigure
    Tinyfigure Posts: 575 Member
    I don't really like people interfering with my workout. I don't mind some friendly chatter or a helping hand, but touchy people... No no no.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    I agree that 99% of the people at the gym are helpful, considerate and mostly mind their own business and put in their work and go home.

I have only met one "true jerk" during my 2-1/2 years of regular gym use. It was a scrawny guy who told me that I couldn't use the squat rack when I went to set up for my squats, because another guy was going to spot him on something or another. This was when I first started lifting and wasn't confident at all. I felt embarrassed and moved on to another part of my workout. The scrawny guy stood guarding the squat rack for at least another 15 minutes while his "squatter" worked out in another area. I finally completed the rest of my workout and then did my squats, while this little jerk still hadn't used the rack.

If it happened today, I would have said with a smile, "Oh, since you haven't even started your warm up sets and your partner isn't ready, I'll get my 3 sets in quickly and it will be all yours."

One insecure jerky kid doesn't neutralize the 100s of other considerate, hard workers who populate the weight room on a regular basis.

Now the old lady who does the interpretive dance/zumba/shimmy moves on the treadmill is a whole different story... all the regulars have to walk around looking at their shoes and avoiding eye contact, because one wrong smirk would send us all into peals of laughter and we'd all be rolling on the floor. She's not a jerk, she's just got some crazy funny moves.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member

If you sneak on someone mid lift you are risking them injured cause you might startle them and cause them to lose form or the weights. Unless you grab the weights in a way to lessen the weight on their muscles/form.

True. Like I said, just saying there is a possibility that no harm was intended.

For instance, I know a.... guy. yeah. A guy. And he had a very close friend whom he frequently came up from behind, and placed a hand on this girl's belly, and drew her in tight against his chest. One night, I... er.. this guy, walked into the room, and saw this girl standing at the desk talking on the phone. The guy went up behind her, and wrapped his arms around her waist, and ran his hadn over her abdomen. She turned around, and it turned out to be someone he barely knew. Luckily, she was cool with it, and they just shared a laugh. I mean she looked just like Kate from behind. Most embarrasing thing I.. er.. he ever did.

Legitimate mistake, and fairly intimate touching. Whoops.

LOL! I had something similar happen at a Christmas Party last year. I walked up behind who I *thought* was my hubby, slung an arm around his neck and leaned close to whisper in his ear...only to have the guy turn around and it be a 19 year old kid wearing the same color shirt!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    I can count on one had with fingers to spare how many jerks I've had to deal with at the gym. The only one that really stands out was the girl who brought her own stereo in and blasted it. It drowned out the gym music, which is already loud and I could hear it over my iPod.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member

This
    Seems like where we r headed but for the most part people at the gym are just there to workout
  • People know better than to touch when I'm lifting heavy weight without asking, otherwise they would cop a face full of bar