Hysterectomy Frustration

Options
I am so frustrated! I had a hysterectomy in November and am finally physically healed enough to work out...or so I thought :( I started about 2 weeks ago with more exercise and am in decent shape to start. After a moderate workout yesterday (40 minute 4.0 pace 3.0 incline walk on treadmill, planks, a bazillion stairs since I was in a hotel for work) I felt awesome until my swelly belly returned last night. Swelly belly, achy, twingy, just like post surgery.

My mind says I'm ready, but my body says nope! Does anyone have insight for me, other than just do less and rest? I miss my sweaty runs, bleacher workouts and marathon hikes!

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Doing too much girl....walking first and then baby step it forward!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you did too much.
  • newkris5
    newkris5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You have to let your body heal.. I had the same surgery ... it take times.. baby steps
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Even with the all clear from the surgeon and feeling better, it still takes time to get back to your normal stamina. You will get there, you just need some more time. In the meantime, do what you feel comfortable with.
  • realalize
    realalize Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. 8 weeks post hysterectomy and I am itching to do some cardio. Have been walking a lot more and considering biking, but I get so exhausted from just working and walking. And get the swelly belly as well. Think the best thing is to be patient and listen to our bodies. Make sure you are getting enough rest too. Good luck!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I am currently 8 months post surgery and am surprised I still have the occassional issue. I am probably 95% good, with twingy swelly belly the other 5%, especially when working on my core. Despite this, I am still kicking @$$ lol

Anyone that thinks a hysterectomy isn't a big deal is absolutely miss-informed!
  • MELinTexas2018
    MELinTexas2018 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i am 5 years post hyster and i can honestly say it was AT LEAST a full year before i even started to feel like myself. you need to SLOW DOWN. i'm sorry - that's hard to hear i know. :blush:
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to get back to normal as well. I also had a mental issue with doing stomach exercises for probably 2 - 3 years post surgery.
  • spraytanninghelens
    spraytanninghelens Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize... when I had my hysterectomy I couldn’t get out for a run at the time, but I did find that yoga was a life saver.