Bathing suit shopping.

Options
Folks, I hate this. So much. I've lost a lot of weight so far, I see changes, I'm getting happier and healthier. AND THEN I TRY TO FIND A SWIMSUIT.

All the mental hard work, gone. fml. Please, just tell me I'm not alone in the amount of loathing I feel towards this specific activity.

Replies

• artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Not alone. It's the pits. But I just want to point out, you probably look waaay better than you realize! We have a way of viewing ourselves with criticism. My vote is, hold your head up high and just try to enjoy yourself poolside this summer!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    my pathetic weight loss boobs look sad in swim suits :( cant even
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll. It's so weird. Throw me in workout clothes, and I'm fine. Put me in a bathing suit, and I freak. Like I did today. gah!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate it. I am not a cry-er. It's actually a bit of a family joke about how not emotional I tend to be. But I cry every time when it comes to getting or wearing a swimsuit. I have a beach trip coming up in June and I'm trying not to think about it.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I hate it too, but was awfully excited that my new one was smaller than I expected
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I hate it, but I have found that sometimes the styles that are supposed to work for me are the worst. This was especially true when I was heavier, and went with some of the more retro-styled skirted suits. They just made me look like somebody's grandma, even when I was 26. I do tighter, sportier, suck-you-in suits and that works. One pieces 'til I die :D
  • jemhh
    Options
    I hate it, but I have found that sometimes the styles that are supposed to work for me are the worst. This was especially true when I was heavier, and went with some of the more retro-styled skirted suits. They just made me look like somebody's grandma, even when I was 26. I do tighter, sportier, suck-you-in suits and that works. One pieces 'til I die :D

Yes, I see those retro suits and think oh how cute. But then I put them on and think yeesh, blech.

Last time I found a pair of swim shorts that fit fairly well and after a long of searching I found a tank style top in an athletic fit that worked. My biggest problem is stretched out skin that wants to pop out over my waistband or is visible through the leg hole of non short swim bottoms. I have the same problem with underwear but at least with those I wear pants on top.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Bathing suits are from the devil! I hate looking for them....either ypu have a bathing suit body or you don't.......aauughhhh :s
  • jkjames1010
    jkjames1010 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it. Then I changed my motto...”if you don’t like it, I know somebody who does!” It’s from a comedy skit, but I can’t remember who.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If you have a body, you have a swimsuit body.

Right now, just coming out of winter, we are not use to seeing ourselves in t-shirts, nevermind swimsiuts. On top of that, in those winter months, a lot may have changed less weight, jiggles have come, gone, are in different places. Those darned breasticals may have deflated, and dropped a bit. Heck, spring can be a surprise, it really can be like coming out of hibernation.

The best advice I have, and what I do for my March Caribbean cruise, is put on a swimsuit, and a fake tan, and walk around the house in it for a few days. Getting use to how you look near naked really helps with shopping for new swimwear.

I wear a bikini. Do I have a bikini body? No. But, it is the swimwear that suits my activities and bodily comfort (hate having to sit in a boat in wet swimwear, and it is easier to change a bikini under a towel than get out of a swimsuit).

No one cares that I am in a bikini and let's face it, unless I am in the water or lounging on a beach etc, where everyone is in swimwear, I am in a coverup/sundress.

Get comfortable in your body, walk with good posture and pride, and remember no one is worried that your body isn't perfect in a swimsuit, they worry more if you are self conscious and look as though you are not having a good time.

Cheers, h.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Take a few water aerobics classes!

Seriously, you will see every body type, shape and size and I promise you you will quickly realize how little you or anyone else notices anyone else’s flaws (real or imagined).

Me, I don’t think most anyone looks their best in a swimsuit and that has helped me ignore my own perceived flaws in swimsuits. Now I don’t do bikinis, personally, but that is because I’m frugal and my swim lap suit is always a one piece and good enough for me.
  • jemhh
    Options
    My problem is not liking how I look in a swimsuit, not worrying about how other people think I look in one. There's a difference.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t help that fitting rooms always have the worst lighting. So unflattering.

I would find something you like (or even just don’t hate) and ROCK IT. If you act confident, it radiates out of you and that’s the only thing people will see. Even if you have to pretend at first, if you act confident and positive it will end up affecting your mindset and how you see yourself.

I bought a swimsuit from Aerie a few month ago and I LOVE it. It’s probably the only suit I’ve ever been excited to wear and I am impatiently waiting for warmer weather so I can break it out.

Hope you can find something that makes you feel like the goddess you are!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    My problem is not liking how I look in a swimsuit, not worrying about how other people think I look in one. There's a difference.

Eeek, I get that one. I started my swimsuit journey in 2008 (hadn't really worn one since the 70's) and it was one of those triathlon high neck, short sleeved, short style leg, zip up the front ones. I hated myself in it and felt exposed.
    It took 3-4 years of gradually revealing more and more of me to get me where I am now- comfortable and confident, not particularly pretty.

Cheers, h.
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. So, what prompted this was initially a rant on how short the cute one piece suits I was trying on were. I have a short torso, so thought a one piece would be fine. OH BUT NO. They were all like 3 inches too short, so sat very low and did weird things to my boobs (I was at a Target - I know, box stores are terrible for a non-standard body type. I'm thinking clearly now). That was all I saw, the weird suit length. I took pics of them all and sent them in my rant about suit length to a good friend. Then I actually looked at the photos and had a small panic attack in the changing room bc of how I looked. Ugh, I was in there long enough that security came to ask me to step out.

So, the problem is definitely ME, and not how I think others perceive me. At the time, I forgot about the terrible lighting in changing rooms, I forgot about the 1 suit that felt pretty good, and I forgot about the 1 swim tank that was perfect for me. I only saw my belly in the photos and couldn't cope. I think my compression leggings have given me a false sense of self. I don't really care about that, since it means I can give my all in a workout and not think about how I look. But man, a fking suit. I really need to go find that swim tank, it was amazing.