should I buy a rowing machine?

Options
13»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    Andee2000 wrote: »
    I've been researching water rowing machines and I found a Stamina for a decent price and I only see recommendations for the Concept. Yes, it is the "gold standard" but I'd rather a mid range item to initially use.

FWIW, Water Rowers cost more than a Concept2 and are not maintenance or problem free. The cost, possible leakage, the need for a pump to pump the water out when needed and the need for regular water treatment to avoid algae buildup were the things that put me off about them.

Concept2s have been around over 30 yrs in the current configuration and their track record has demonstrated that they are virtually bullet proof, which accounts for the wide spread owner/user recommendations.

However, if you're still considering a Water Rower, the best place to try one out is at an Orange Theory location near you. You can get a free pass to do so. Be sure to talk to the person who has to maintains them, when/if you do.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Waterrowers do offer one thing the C2 doesn't - rental. You can rent one for your home for a few months and if you like, the money you put down toward rental applies to ownership. I wish C2 did that but they don't honestly have to as they own most of the market.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Waterrowers do offer one thing the C2 doesn't - rental. You can rent one for your home for a few months and if you like, the money you put down toward rental applies to ownership. I wish C2 did that but they don't honestly have to as they own most of the market.

And they store upright!! That right there to me is the biggest advantage. I have not had any maintenance issues or leaking. One tablet every six months and wipe the dust off and you are good.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options

And they store upright!! That right there to me is the biggest advantage. I have not had any maintenance issues or leaking. One tablet every six months and wipe the dust off and you are good.

You can also store a C2 upright. There's a wall hanger that you can buy for that purpose but you can just lean it against the wall w/o one. Granted, it will stick out father away from the wall than the WR because of the different fan vs water container placement but it'll work it you have the room to do it.

The only thing that appealed to me about the Water Rower was that it looked "pretty" and came in different finishes that could match my teak Danish furniture but that was not enough to convince me to buy one.

As for renting one, didn't know you could do that but I still think that using one at OT would be more convenient. You can get at least 1 use for free and, depending on the cost of the rental, you might get more for your $ by buying a multivisit pkg to OT.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've been researching water rowing machines and I found a Stamina for a decent price and I only see recommendations for the Concept. Yes, it is the "gold standard" but I'd rather a mid range item to initially use.

FWIW, Water Rowers cost more than a Concept2 and are not maintenance or problem free. The cost, possible leakage, the need for a pump to pump the water out when needed and the need for regular water treatment to avoid algae buildup were the things that put me off about them.

I'm not convinced that the person you replied to meant WaterRower, however... To put those criticisms in context.

Regular maintenance involves dusting it.

Every six months I drop a water treatment fluid into the tank. In ten years I've never needed to change the water.

In ten years mine has had one defect. That was a rupture in the tank seal while I was rowing, so a bit inconvenient. It's about a 3 hour job to rectify.

With respect to cost, different geographies do make a difference but in UK the WaterRower was about £200 cheaper than the Concept when I bought mine. Again, ten years ago may be a factor.

It is a domestic use machine, and in that it differs from the Concept. Their gym quality frames are chunkier, but the underlying design is the same.

And an N=1 example, I know. I spent 9 months in Afghanistan. The day after I got back I laid out the rower, sat down and knocked out 10K. Nothing needed done to it, despite being unused in that time.
  • Andee2000
    Andee2000 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Concept2s have been around over 30 yrs in the current configuration and their track record has demonstrated that they are virtually bullet proof, which accounts for the wide spread owner/user recommendations.

However, if you're still considering a Water Rower, the best place to try one out is at an Orange Theory location near you. You can get a free pass to do so. Be sure to talk to the person who has to maintains them, when/if you do.

Sorry to over "quote" still getting used to posting on here. I have been using my water rower for a few weeks now and I have to say I love it. I do my normal treadmill walk and then a session on the rower. What I am loving is the different muscle groups I must be using because I can feel I have used different muscles during and after my work out. I think this was the right choice for me, I like the quieter work out as well.