Question for the women...weight gain on birth control

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Birth control pills don't make you gain weight. Over eating does.
    The pill doesn't cause hunger but it can cause some water retention. Aside from that it shouldn't impact your weight loss if you keep your diet/exercise in check

this

it may affect how hungry you are- but it won't cause you to "retain fat"

I've been on 3 or 4 different pills (I just started seasonique) and I"m doing just fine- lost 15 lbs of fat.

I'd rather just be a little hungry than a lot pregnant- kids are disgusting- I"ll take my changes with the pill.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just got knocked up through the condoms-only method.

Look into Paragard. It has no hormones.

I have never heard of that. Are you on it?

Yeah I'd like to know how it works with no hormones
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

It has something to do with leukocytes, and the copper acts as a spermicide. Fair warning though to anyone considering a copper IUD, most women who use ParaGard have heavier, longer, or crampier periods, especially for the first few months. It's also not the best option if you're anemic.

If people are reading this and considering an IUD, this is a good article comparing the copper IUD (Paragard) to the hormonal one (Mirena) - http://bedsider.org/features/70

And to anyone in the U.S. - thanks to Obamacare, birth control should be covered 100% by insurance. I got my Mirena for just the $20 copay of the visit.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

it's the copper IUD. I had it for nearly 10 years and while I did gain weight during that time, there were many other major factors in that. I don't blame the IUD for one pound of it, as I was on it a solid year before things went to hell and I started gaining.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

It has something to do with leukocytes, and the copper acts as a spermicide. Fair warning though to anyone considering a copper IUD, most women who use ParaGard have heavier, longer, or crampier periods, especially for the first few months. It's also not the best option if you're anemic.

If people are reading this and considering an IUD, this is a good article comparing the copper IUD (Paragard) to the hormonal one (Mirena) - http://bedsider.org/features/70

And to anyone in the U.S. - thanks to Obamacare, birth control should be covered 100% by insurance. I got my Mirena for just the $20 copay of the visit.

Wow!! Thanks - especially the part about heavier periods and anemia. That probably wouldn't jive well for me.