Options
i have discovered many foods in the database lack potassium

for example mott's garden cocktail has 520mg per 250ml but the database says 0

yo

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The database entries are mostly user and entered, so you will find lots of incomplete entries. You can correct existing entries that don't have a green check mark.

As many nutrients aren't required on food labels, and all MFP can list is what is required, it's unwise to rely on your MFP diary to track micronutrients, unless you create all your own entries and ensure they are correct in the first place!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Did you correct the mistaken entry?
  • veganfanatic
    veganfanatic Posts: 32 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    unfortunately the green check mark means i cannot fix it which is what is wrong with the site generally

potassium is not a micronutrient either
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    unfortunately the green check mark means i cannot fix it which is what is wrong with the site generally

potassium is not a micronutrient either

How did you come to the conclusion that potassium is not a micronutrient? It's certainly a nutrient, and it is appropriately eaten in relatively small amounts (just a few grams) compared to the tens or even hundreds of grams of macronutrients that are appropriate to most healthy people's diets. Yes, it's not quite as "micro" as vitamin C or iron or trace elements, but if we're going to divide nutrients into micronutrients and macronutrients, micro seems more appropriate for potassium
  • rsuelzer
    rsuelzer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been adding misisng potassium levels whenever I see them. For example I added potassium for Trader Joe's brocolli florrets, and O organics Carrot Chips today.
  • veganfanatic
    veganfanatic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    unfortunately motts cannot be fixed to add the 520mg per 250ml of product
  • CBD92
    CBD92 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Every single vitamin and mineral is a micronutrient. Perhaps you got macronutrient and micronutrient confused.
  • PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    a deficiency i potassium will result in cramping and worse, so i like to pay attention to its presence in foods, if this is not adequately available, then their database is borked which means it is usless

Yup. I add electorlyte powder (sugar free) to lot's of my waters during the day to ensure no cramping, headaches, and/or dizziness. For me this works like a charm. Notice it right away if working out without enough electrolytes during the day. I will cramp up pretty quick. The electrolytes I've used range from 200 to 500 mg potassium. We need lot's of potassium a day so if you aren't getting it from food a few drinks with the electrolytes can help a lot.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    unfortunately motts cannot be fixed to add the 520mg per 250ml of product

Do you mean it's a verified entry, so you can't edit it? If that's the problem, you can create a new entry with the potassium info included.
  • 90kgToNewMe
    90kgToNewMe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    a deficiency i potassium will result in cramping and worse, so i like to pay attention to its presence in foods, if this is not adequately available, then their database is borked which means it is usless

if you want to track down to the nutrient level, maybe use a site like Cronometer for food tracking...?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    FDA: "Compliance Date
    On September 29, the FDA released a proposed rule to extend the compliance dates for the Nutrition Facts and Supplement Facts label final rule and the Serving Size final rule from July 26, 2018, to Jan. 1, 2020, for manufacturers with $10 million or more in annual food sales. Manufacturers with less than $10 million in annual food sales would receive an extra year to comply—until Jan. 1, 2021."

Among the things required on the new labels are actual amounts as well as RDAs of potassium.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm