Struggling with legs

Options
Silkysausage
Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
I'm having a hard time, I usually use the squat rack and static lunge 35kg to 40kg and the same with squats. This is done twice a week, 4 sets on a great day or 3 wobbly ones on a poor one.

Sometimes it seems not easy but doable but there are days where it feels so hard, getting out 8 reps instead of 12.

I was using the Smith Machine today as everyone was using my usual rack and boy, I don't know how I did it.

I think I'm scared of being stuck in the hole and can't come back up.

I use accessory exercises afterwards to give me some happiness that I feel I've achieved something.

My arms, back, traps and shoulders are growing but my quads and hammies are going nowhere.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have no advice but I have the same issue with my upper body so I am going to follow this thread. I go around in circles.. somedays I'm good and I can increase, then other days I struggle.. then I deload .. then I end up in the same place I was before (maybe a slight increase of 2-5lbs of weight or a few reps in 3 years). For me fear is a huge factor because I've injured my upper body several times in the past pushing too hard so I basically do the bare minimum. Unfortunately my upper body looks the way it does as a result. It could be programming in my case too.

What program are you running?
  • Silkysausage
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Not sure of the programme you are following, but you may be either upping your reps or your weights too fast.

It was only the beginning of the month that you did a big progression to 30kg. Now only 2 weeks later you are aiming for 35-40kg for a 8-12 rep. That sounds like a high increase for the rep range you are working with.

If your programme states a rep range are you starting at the 8 reps per set and then moving through the range until you can complete the 12 reps on all sets before increasing?

Again, not sure of your programme so not sure how to advise except to back down the weight and/or reps until you can lift the weight for consistently for the reps/sets in the programme.

Cheers, h.

It's a programme from my PT and yes, I suppose when you say 'progressive overload' I'm trying to hammer it as I want it NOW :( It's not till you point out what I did 2 weeks ago that I realise how crazy I am being.

I'll dial it back and go through the motions like you say.

I want Sardelsa's quad curve bad!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @sardelsa has put in years of work, and by what she has said about her body, (correct me if I am wrong Miss S) does have the slight advantage of having a body that develops the lower half well.

I on the other hand have a much naturally stronger upper body. My legs are like knots in cotton, and I won't bother mentioning glutes, so sad, I know I will never have the dedication to put in the years it takes to developed such a sweep or glutes.
    I am just working on making what I have incrementally better with a lifelong recomp.

Follow your programme as written. If you have a good trainer, it is written the way it is to give you the best progression given your circumstances.

Because you are asking questions, it would be useful if you could post your programme and your bulking/weight gain goal.

Sounds like you are enjoying lifting.

Cheers, h.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Silkysausage .. years and years of hardwork, many bulk cycles and lower body focused training.. also genetics as @middlehaitch mentioned. I was also very lean in that photo and with my leg turned out my quads are more apparent.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? If you are in a weight loss phase that will absolutely hinder your strength progress. Also, how many accessory movements are you doing? You might be overdoing it and not have enough time to recover.

For me being scared has been a problem in the past too, and for that, all that helps is practice and sucking it up. You could practice playing with tempo where you stay in the bottom position for a 2-4 seconds or doing half-reps with a heavier weight just to get used to having that weight on your back (or front if you do front squats)
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    @sardelsa has put in years of work, and by what she has said about her body, (correct me if I am wrong Miss S) does have the slight advantage of having a body that develops the lower half well.

I on the other hand have a much naturally stronger upper body. My legs are like knots in cotton, and I won't bother mentioning glutes, so sad, I know I will never have the dedication to put in the years it takes to developed such a sweep or glutes.
    I am just working on making what I have incrementally better with a lifelong recomp.

Follow your programme as written. If you have a good trainer, it is written the way it is to give you the best progression given your circumstances.

Because you are asking questions, it would be useful if you could post your programme and your bulking/weight gain goal.

Cheers, h.

Day 1 (12 reps, 3 sets)
    Overhead press, incline & flat chest press, machine chest press, seated lateral raise, dumbbell fly, tricep extension x 3 different moves. 10 minute row (2000 metres in 10 minutes)

Day 2 (12 reps, 3 sets)
    Static lunge, squat, deadlift, lat pulldowns, diverging row, assisted pull-ups, bicep x 3 different moves.

I do this split twice a week starting on a Wednesday with obviously Day 1 but I start again on Saturday and follow through till Monday as that's the only time I can go to the gym.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that @Silkysausage. I have a much better idea of what you are doing now.

I would definitely do smaller weight increases, 5 lbs on my lower body even, with the 3x12 you are doing.

I start with 3x8 (plus 2 Warm Up sets) and work up to 3x12, over 5 weeks, then I am ready to add 10lbs. Doing straight 3x12 I would have to make much smaller increases.

It is better to take it a little slower and avoid burn out or injury.

Cheers, h.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

Day 1 (12 reps, 3 sets)
    Overhead press, incline & flat chest press, machine chest press, seated lateral raise, dumbbell fly, tricep extension x 3 different moves. 10 minute row (2000 metres in 10 minutes)

Day 2 (12 reps, 3 sets)
    Static lunge, squat, deadlift, lat pulldowns, diverging row, assisted pull-ups, bicep x 3 different moves.

I do this split twice a week starting on a Wednesday with obviously Day 1 but I start again on Saturday and follow through till Monday as that's the only time I can go to the gym.

Personally I think you should get a new trainer. It's likely the reason your upper body is more developed than your lower is likely due to it only getting half as much volume. The bigger the muscle the more volume it takes for growth.

Just look. In one day you do 5 moves that involve your chest and anterior delt in the next day you have 3 moves that involve your legs as a whole with no specific isolation for your quads. Especially if your trainer is aware of your desire to process with them the most.

Another thing. If you're afraid to get stuck in the hole your trainer should be teaching you how to safely dump the bar.

I had to dump 355 last week when I failed, having practiced for that in the past I was able to do it automatically.
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

Cheers, h.

Day 1 (12 reps, 3 sets)

Day 2 (12 reps, 3 sets)

Personally I think you should get a new trainer. It's likely the reason your upper body is more developed than your lower is likely due to it only getting half as much volume. The bigger the muscle the more volume it takes for growth.

Just look. In one day you do 5 moves that involve your chest and anterior delt in the next day you have 3 moves that involve your legs as a whole with no specific isolation for your quads. Especially if your trainer is aware of your desire to process with them the most.

Another thing. If you're afraid to get stuck in the hole your trainer should be teaching you how to safely dump the bar.

I had to dump 355 last week when I failed, having practiced for that in the past I was able to do it automatically.

I do accessory lifting too as stated in my original post so my legs get more than the compound moves.
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    Thanks for that @Silkysausage. I have a much better idea of what you are doing now.

I would definitely do smaller weight increases, 5 lbs on my lower body even, with the 3x12 you are doing.

I start with 3x8 (plus 2 Warm Up sets) and work up to 3x12, over 5 weeks, then I am ready to add 10lbs. Doing straight 3x12 I would have to make much smaller increases.

It is better to take it a little slower and avoid burn out or injury.

Cheers, h.

Awesome, thanks everyone <3
  • joeydahatt
    joeydahatt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that your volume seems a bit low. Also I see nothing for hamstrings and you can't grow big quads without developing the back of the leg too. Also as someone else mentioned, if you're in the 8-12 rep range don't increase the weight until you can do 12 and the 12th isn't to failure and lower your incremental increases. Another technique that sometimes helps me break through stalls is changing the order of exercises around for a couple of workouts. Initially it's dismaying because you can't move the weight your used to on your big lifts but when you go back to the original order you'll often find your max weight has shot up. Good luck!
  • jessef593
    Options

Cheers, h.

Day 1 (12 reps, 3 sets)

Day 2 (12 reps, 3 sets)

I do accessory lifting too as stated in my original post so my legs get more than the compound moves.

Such as? What sort of squat and deadlifts are you performing?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

Day 1 (12 reps, 3 sets)

Day 2 (12 reps, 3 sets)

I'm inclined to agree that there isn't enough overall leg volume. I do legs 3x a week and have grown my quads 1.5" in the past six months. If you want any advice, please let me know.
  • jessef593
    Options

Cheers, h.

Day 1 (12 reps, 3 sets)

Day 2 (12 reps, 3 sets)

I'm inclined to agree that there isn't enough overall leg volume. I do legs 3x a week and have grown my quads 1.5" in the past six months. If you want any advice, please let me know.

Yep I wasn't intending to sound patronizing. Purely trying to say that compared to your upper body. Your lower body is being neglected. You don't need to kill it with accessories. I do nothing but low bar squats, front squats, and conventional deadlifts. But between the 3 I do them 5-6x weekly.

My legsare my most developed part of my body.
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    joeydahatt wrote: »
    I have to agree that your volume seems a bit low. Also I see nothing for hamstrings and you can't grow big quads without developing the back of the leg too. Also as someone else mentioned, if you're in the 8-12 rep range don't increase the weight until you can do 12 and the 12th isn't to failure and lower your incremental increases. Another technique that sometimes helps me break through stalls is changing the order of exercises around for a couple of workouts. Initially it's dismaying because you can't move the weight your used to on your big lifts but when you go back to the original order you'll often find your max weight has shot up. Good luck!

I have deadlifts in my programme
  • Silkysausage
    edited April 2018
    Options

Cheers, h.

Day 1 (12 reps, 3 sets)

Day 2 (12 reps, 3 sets)

Back squats and RDL'S, 45 degree leg press, usual leg extensions
  • Silkysausage
    edited April 2018
    Options
    So, increase sets at a lower weight, moving through the progressive overload gradually on leg day and add in leg work to Day 1?

I'm off to the gym in a bit for Day 1, I'm going to do what has been mentioned as yesterday was leg day and I feel short changed :D
  • jessef593
    Options
    Low bar or high bar squats? Bring in conventional deadlifts. If you could add one more day. Adding say 5 more sets for legs and splitting your volume over 3 days would be much more beneficial. What sort of progression scheme does your program follow.

• Silkysausage
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Low bar or high bar squats? Bring in conventional deadlifts. If you could add one more day. Adding say 5 more sets for legs and splitting your volume over 3 days would be much more beneficial. What sort of progression scheme does your program follow.

Bar sits high as I'm so small.

Why change deads? Or add in conventional to my usual style? Conventional is far too hard for me to perform.

I do more stiff leg than RDL'S I suppose now I look at it which put less strain on my lower back.

5 more sets over 3 days you mean or per session?