Anyone else here struggle with addiction? I have almost 2 years sober!

Options

Replies

• jamin4m
    jamin4m Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. Me too - one week and a day. message me if you like to touch base for support. 53f in florida. struggle yes, but as i heard on a great podcast episode on consistency recently, you must (try) to "outlast the suck" (i add>>>one day at a time)
  • Fattleass
    Fattleass Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    15 years sober but now food gets the best of me . Friends request accepted a
  • mcash540
    mcash540 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sober for the last few years and also quit a 20 year smoking habit. I have a terribly addictive personality but I’m finally figuring out how to replace unhealthy addictions with better options like working out. Congratulations to everyone on overcoming their struggles.
  • myfenix5
    myfenix5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Now you have realised sobriety clarifies, cuts through, the essence of todays stressful life. Your health in all its forms has room to evolve, if you nurture a healthy diet and exercise, you will begin to see life the way it was meant to be and you will wake up feeling like you can take on the world , but most importantly, you will !
  • lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    No one thinks their addictive tendencies can be remedied by luck. We are smart enough to recognize unhealthy behaviors/thoughts/actions but struggle with our tendencies to want to act out - regardless of how we act out.
  • whatsizbucket
    whatsizbucket Posts: 31 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I was an addict once... Nearing my 10th year sober in December. I have gained over 100 pounds because of stopping it. I, like everyone here, was at such a low point in their lives. I was ashamed of what happened to me, and I couldn't tell my parents because I would have ended up in rehab. I had to go through it all alone, because of that. It's hard. I still think about it. But I've been glad I never went back to it. There will be hard days, and good days, but the best thing you can do is keep fighting.
  • garyyates5559
    garyyates5559 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It will be 10,000 days for me October 19th 2019 or over 27 years sober. When I gave up smoking a year after I stopped drinking I traded that addiction for food. I find myself now insulin resistant with very poor eating habits I skip breakfast and usually lunch than eat most of my calories before I go to sleep. I try to eat food that is free of chemicals however and never eat processed food. Fitness Pal is the only way I can get the weight off and keep it off. My advice would be to get a support group and help others as much as you can.
  • RaevnW6
    RaevnW6 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Love the day count, Gary!
    Love to see all the recovery going on here too.

Will celebrate my own 28 years in Jan 2019 - as long as the addiction ran. Drug of choice? Anything that hit the dopamine/serotonin buttons.

Ate my way through therapy to be sure I could make recovery stick - which worked, actually. Now the weight threatens to kill me so I have a new recovery program, with food.

Hang in there everyone!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I spent Saturday night in the Emergency Room with a family member. 2 young adults in early 20’s came in from heroin ods. This is heart breaking.
  • Beachlace
    Beachlace Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Sometimes one hour at a time, I have 31 years sober. Without it, you can not have the life you choose because your substance picks your job (or not), how much money is in your pocket (or not), who you sleep with or date, what clothes you wear etc etc. The only way to get a life, your life, is to not use just for today. Choose your own life!
  • cwfielder
    cwfielder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been sober 9 months. My new addiction is food - that's why I'm here. I wish the best for everyone trying to stay healthy.
  • gettingfitSteph
    gettingfitSteph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    yes food... that is why I am here.. I am sure we all battle something. Congrats to you on your sobriety! <3