What kind of workout schedule do you gym rats have?

Options
I am joining a gym on Friday. I plan on doing cardio on the treadmill/elliptical, but I also want to start weight training. Should I do weights the same day as cardio? Any suggestion on what to start out on with weights?

Replies

• laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Far from expert or personal trainer, but from what I've been extensively reading, you shouldn't work out the same muscles (ETA: more than one day consecutively) because while they're resting they're also rebuilding/strengthening. So I would alternate but also choose complete rest days. Future commenters correct me if I'm wrong.

I bumped this because I just asked my co-worker the same thing. His response was "I just did Insanity at first then after that ran for a month then switched back to Insanity". :noway: Ah, men....:laugh:
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Far from expert or personal trainer, but from what I've been extensively reading, you shouldn't work out the same muscles (ETA: more than one day consecutively) because while they're resting they're also rebuilding/strengthening. So I would alternate but also choose complete rest days. Future commenters correct me if I'm wrong.

I bumped this because I just asked my co-worker the same thing. His response was "I just did Insanity at first then after that ran for a month then switched back to Insanity". :noway: Ah, men....:laugh:

That dude is not going to get the hypertrophy I bet he's looking for.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    He lost about 75lbs he said...but you're right, he wasn't focused on strength training at first but stricly weight loss. He said "lose the weight first then strength train" and then I guess add cardio back in? Not sure how I feel about that. Didn't mean to commandeer her question. :flowerforyou:
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a gym rat, but I do strength/circuits 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes and do 2 days of running and HIIT. I go at 6am and don't have time to spend more than 45 min there or I will be late to work.
  • Monee916
    Monee916 Posts: 11
    Options
    I split my days up between pull/cardio, push, legs/abs and cardio.

Pull/Cardio: Back and Biceps. At least 30 mins of cardio
    Push: Chest, shoulders and triceps (Sometimes I add cardio to this day)
    Leg/Abs
    Cardio

So far this has worked well for me.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym steady, I do cardio 5 days a week, and strength 3 days. I would do cardio warm up everyday, then on mon, wed, fri strength. bicep/back, tricep/chest, then the third day legs. After I would do a bit more cardio. On Tues and Thrus, all cardio, just move around to different things, Eliptical, treadmill, bike, or row. Saturday and sunday would be the rest, but I would take a walk, though. This was my route for a long time, until I became a soccer mom, boy did that all go out the door!! I am starting on this again starting today!
  • rachvale
    rachvale Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do cardio as much as I can. I usually have 2 days with no cardio at all, and one complete rest day. The general rule of thumb for weightlifting is to not do it two days in a row, unless you're using completely different muscle groups the next day.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    If you're beginning, why not start with 3 days a week. Keep it simple so you can get used to the work and not burn out.

I'm actually in the gym 5 days a week, and I hit every muscle group twice per week. That wouldn't suit everyone, but I'm doing fine.

More than anything else though, determine your goals 1ST. THEN, move on to deciding what you're going to do.
  • rcky0077
    Options
    I would start with the big compound lifts. They are some of the best ways to hit multiple muscles in the body and are easy enough to get you feeling comfortable in the weights section. I would start with squats, deadlifts, bench press, pull ups/chin ups, and some kind of rows (t-bar rows, bent over rows, etc.) to hit the back.

Look them up on YouTube to get an idea of how to do it. Practice the movements in your house. When you go to the gym, ask an associate to teach you. Usually the people working at gyms love to help out when they can. If you need someone to spot you, you can usually ask them or politely ask someone nearby when they are in between sets.

Personally, I don't actively seek out to do cardio. I control my diet in order to gain weight or lose weight. When I am bulking, I don't do much cardio because frankly, I don't want to eat more to compensate. When I cut, I would rather my energy and focus be on lifting and recovering.

This is all personal preference though. If you like to do cardio you can do cardio whenever you feel like it. Some people say after weight lifting is difficult but can have a good cool-down healing type of effect. Others say it is nice to do it before to warm up for the weight lifting and get your blood flowing. Try and see what works well for you. Good luck!