Which is easier? Recipes or My Meals?

Options
belleFL
belleFL Posts: 29 Member
Hello, can you please tell me what you find easier: to build recipes or my meals? I'm back for the ??? time and this is what gets me each time: I find the login to be too cumbersome. :-( I need whatever is easiest to log frequent combinations time and time again. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• MosefP
    MosefP Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If the recipe is online you can import it straight from a website and make changes later. So sometimes that is easier. Meals is easier for when you are scanning different things you eat.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    One isn't easier than the other, they have different uses. It sounds like what you want is meals.

Recipe builder is for homemade foods. If you are making a dish from scratch with multiple ingredients, use recipe builder to build it. It goes quicker if you weigh each ingredient as you add it (or estimate if you are confident with the amount you used.) Then you can add the correct servings of that recipe to your diary whenever you eat it. If you make the same recipe again, it's there to add, or you can edit it if you made it differently.

Meals is for combinations of foods you eat together frequently. So for example, every time you eat spaghetti you eat noodles, sauce, two meatballs, some greens, and a small salad with dressing. Create that as a meal and you can add it with only one touch, instead of having to find all those things. I use this often at restaurants where I always eat the same thing.

Logging does have a learning curve but if you use all the tools it becomes easier. For example, the scanning tool on packaged foods lets you just scan the barcode, and the location tool will pull up a restaurant menu when you are eating out. And the more you log, the more foods are in your recent list.

Best of luck to you!

Just want to add that "my meals" is also useful if, to use the example above, sometimes you have three meatballs, sometimes two, sometimes one, and sometimes none. It's a lot easier to log a meal and just tweak the serving size of one component (or delete it entirely) than it is to look up the right database entry for that component (and all the other components) each time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    yeah, I use meals a lot.

But, Recent foods and My Foods are in quick rotation, too.

I have one meal slot on the diary for just drinks, spices, desserts and random stuff. The other meal slots I tend to eat the same 10-20 meals anyway.

It takes me five minutes total to weigh my food on a scale and enter it into the food diary. It's a huge payoff for a little effort.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    sometimes I use My Meals when I am trying to enter something from a restaurant that I order often. For example, I get pita pizza with eggplant from a local pizza place. I add things as close as I can to get a good idea of calories, and then I don't have to re-enter everything individually when we order again
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Also, you can save a recipe from the recipe builder in mymeals.
    For example, I eat my homemade pumpkin gnocchi with mushrooms and garlic and feta frequently so I have the pumpkin gnocchi saved as a recipe and the gnocchi +toppings as one meal.
    The reason being some days I want to eat 1 serving of gnocchi and other days I want to eat 1.5 servings of gnocchi but not 1.5 servings of everything else.