Is there a limited weight loss impact to a large number of calories burned in one day?

Options
This weekend, I did a long bike ride 5hrs 30 mins, avg hr 143, 7K ft of climbing (hard weighing 200 lbs.). According to my bike computer - burned calories 3,984. I ate within my net calories for losing 2lbs/wk including what I ate on the long ride. Today - net gain of .5lbs? If you burn this many calories in a day, does it not impact weight loss the same as not exercising and eating less each day?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    inflammation and water retention from stress on the body
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Water retention definitely from that long bike ride. I hiked for 2 hours yesterday and have 2 lbs of water on me today
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ^ All the above.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've read that there might be an upper limit to the amount of fat the body can use in a certain period, but I seriously doubt that's in play here - think about the bonkers amount of exercise those poor people on Biggest Loser do. As the other comments note above, your body is almost certainly retaining water after all that hard work. I'd guess you might feel a bit sore or stiff today? Weight loss isn't linear and won't respond overnight the way you might expect it to, so you need to watch your longer trends and be patient. Good luck!
  • mimc66
    mimc66 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How many days would it take for water retention to return to normal?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Short answer, yes.

Your body will do a variety of things to adjust to a one time high burn.

You will feel sluggish, You may fidget less, etc.

Additionally, as above from other folks, you will retain water.

You may also be more hungry(AKA rungry)
  • mimc66
    Options
    I will see how it changes in the next couple of days and post the changes. As far as being sore, I always feel a little sore - I'm old.. Thanks for pointing at water retention. I was craving salty food after the ride and when I just went back and looked at mfp nutrition from yesterday, I consumed a lot of sodium - 3,850! Never even realized I had consumed so much sodium - completely mindless eating!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    mimc66 wrote: »
    I will see how it changes in the next couple of days and post the changes. As far as being sore, I always feel a little sore - I'm old.. Thanks for pointing at water retention. I was craving salty food after the ride and when I just went back and looked at mfp nutrition from yesterday, I consumed a lot of sodium - 3,850! Never even realized I had consumed so much sodium - completely mindless eating!

After that much activity and assuming you primarily hydrated with water, you need to replenish electrolytes.

That's why it's important to balance hydration with electrolytes(sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc)

Beer, Gatorade, Chocolate milk, are popular ways to rehydrate with flavor and electrolytes.
  • mimc66
    Options
    Update - I'm still 2 lbs. heavier on the 3rd day after event than I was the previous 5 days before the event. No exercise since and eating same calories as prior to event. Hopefully a swoosh coming up else it really makes me wonder the weight loss impact of big events. Will update progress in a couple of more days.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    You're using a weight trend app or web site to evaluate your weight level, right? :wink:
  • mimc66
    Options
    Hi, I weight myself every morning same time on fitbit scale (aria). I took the average of the last 5 days prior to event(all within .5lbs) so no big swings.
  • mimc66
    Options
    Well never got a swoosh in weight loss. My opinion, burning a lot of calories in exercise in big events does not equal big weight loss. Must be something occurring with recovery that prevents body from adapting too much in one day.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have noticed a pattern with me since I've been losing weight. I work Saturday Sunday and Monday. During those days I walk around 10 miles a day and lift thousands of pounds somewhere in the ballpark of 25000 to 35000 a day. During my work days I'll weigh 1 to 2 lbs more then by Wednesday after a day of rest I'll be down 2lbs lower than I was the previous week. This has been routine for me every week. I also do not hydrate as well as I should when I am working. I drink water all day long but it's never enough. It's crazy how the body works.