Stomach bug & when to workout again

Options
So as I packed my gym bag last night and planned out my busy Monday I woke up a couple of hours later sick to my stomach. (No vomiting let’s just say it was all on the other end) since 2am I had been feeling nausea and just in the bathroom a lot. It’s now 9am and I feel a lot better just with water, Powerade, saltines and rest. I was bummed about missing the gym today and wondering when would be a good time to return. I want to work out good this week because Saturday I leave for New York City and won’t be able to work out for 4 whole days other than a lot of walking in the city. Usually I run and then at the gym to HIT running and free weights. Could I return to treadmill walking and free weights tomorrow? (Obviously if I’m no longer nauseous and feel good) or should I take it easy. I’m just anxious because when I go to NYC I won’t be working out (the trip has a tight itinerary with no gym time) what would be a good work out routine for me this week?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you feel better, workout tomorrow, if not, don't.

you're way over thinking it. a few days off (or even a couple of weeks) isn't the end of the world as long as you get back to your routine when you're back from your holiday!
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I got the stomach bug last Sunday and it knocked me out for 2-3 days food and energy-wise. I took off a week and just made sure I was productive during the weekend doing less strenuous activity. You're fine to take off a couple days and let your body rest. Don't stress!
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have plenty of fluids, stomach bugs can take away alot of energy and take days to recover from.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'd skip a workout for another 2 days. Honestly, just log your food and take a break. Stay under your calorie goal and you won't lose any progress at all. It does you absolutely no good to hit the gym or run a couple miles when your body needs some recuperation time. Rest up and you'll be able to hit it hard soon enough. Walking is a perfectly acceptable form of exercise while on your trip. When you get home, you'll be able to resume your normal life. And by the way, there's nothing worse than being run down on an out-of-town trip, so that's another reason to take it easy.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've had something similar the past few days, woke up this morning feeling great. I was all ready to get back into working out a little after dinner, like I usually do, but instead got overwhelmed with exhaustion and napped all afternoon. (Fortunately, I'm an at-home, homeschooling mom, and I'd already worked with my kids on their schoolwork.) Based on what happened to me today, I'd advise you to let your body recuperate from all the work it's been doing to heal you. You should rest up for your trip; it sounds like you're going to be on the run the entire time.