Strength training HELP !?

Options
Ashjvb
Ashjvb Posts: 14 Member
Hi all.
I recently joined the gym and am wondering what a good strength training schedule would look like?
I plan on going mon-friday each week.
Should i target different body parts each day or do a total body work out each day?

I plan on starting each workout with 15 min cardio and end with the same.

My main goal is to lose weight and tone up.
Im currently 180 ( started at 234lbs ) and hoping to get down to 160 by the summer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am able to sign up for a program where they give me a new workout schedule weekly but im trying to save money and seeing if im able to figure it out on my own.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There is a really good post here with a list of pre-built training programs, including those for newbies: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Some of them are free, some have apps, some have books, some have PDF forms, all kinds of different things you can use. Using a plan like this will tell you how often to go and which body parts to target each day.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you could do something like stronglifts, or wendler 5x5 - they focus on basic weighlifting - normally do 3 days a week, and then do accessory work the other twodays
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    That link is really the place to go. A couple of points that those plans will all emphasize:

- If you're new to lifting weights, your most efficient program will be a three day a week full body plan build around compound lifts and getting heavier each workout ("progressive overload")
    - Don't be scared of lifting heavy - it's crazy fun and the benefits are fantastic
    - Whether you are a beginner or not, you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row
    - As a beginner you'll be able to make some noticable strength gains while in a deficit, but don't expect much muscle growth (especially as a woman)
    - However, do expect that your scale weight may go up when you start a strength program - this is water retention and normal

Have fun!