Gained it all back ...

Options
2 years ago I started going to the gym, lifting weights, meal prepping and MACRO counting. I lost 55 pounds and was able to maintain that until 6 months ago. Life happened and I gained back the weight in those 6 months. I can't seem to get started again. I want to go to the gym but i'm ashamed too. I feel like everyone will notice that I put the weight back on and judge me. I can't switch gyms as my contract is for another year and don't have the funds to pay for two gym memberships. I also can't seem to get back on eating healthy. I try to meal prep like I use to but I just feel so lazy and unmotivated.

Any tips on what I can do to get back on the horse? I just feel so crappy that all I want to do is eat junk to make me feel better when it only ends up making me feel worse.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Take one day at a time. Prep or at least pre-plan your meals for the day. Go to the gym. No one there is going to say anything about you. You have to get over this thought because its that voice that is keeping you back not someone else.
  • KQgetsfit
    KQgetsfit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You’re human and I’m in the same spot as you - but I can tell you that you’re going to be ok! The hardest part is not losing it but maintaining it while life happens. Take it one day at a time!
  • adeline_xia
    adeline_xia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I know how crappy this feels because I just went through the same thing. 3 years ago I lost 30 pounds and after yo-yoing for 2 years I gained back twice as much as I've lost. Now I'm starting the weight loss journey again.

When it comes to getting back on track I think it's best to start small and slowly build up the healthy habits again. It's easier to start with eating healthier and tracking calories. After this becomes a habit, introduce the exercising back in. Personally, I had some problems with binging and emotional eating, so I have a small cheat meal every Saturday just so I have something to look forward to throughout the week.

I know weight loss can feel like a long journey at first, but once you start seeing progress, you'll be so much more motivated to continue :) Good luck!
  • pamelamarionheinrich
    Options
    While I totally agree with the advice to "take one day at a time," I would add that you should give your old routine - working out (try at home for now!), meal prepping/planning, and accurately logging on MFP a short, doable period of time: say 30 days. Set that goal for yourself and do everything you can to stick to it. You won't get back in one month to where you were 2 years ago, but, after 30 days, I bet you'll feel better and, MORE IMPORTANTLY, will feel motivated again to be disciplined to keep at it. It will be amazing for you to feel that positive bit of difference! And, in the meanwhile, be forgiving of yourself as we have all been there. Best of luck!
  • jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you really can't get over going back to the gym start your diet again and start walking. Do this diligently and as hard as you can till you see some progress and feel better about yourself. Maybe at that point you will feel better about going back to the gym and if not, you'll have at least started working your way back.

All the best!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I lost 32lbs then gave up smoking and lost motivation ate everything in sight and gained back 28lbs I also gained Osteoarthritis so exercising went out the window.

However I started slowly just with logging and trying to stay within my calorie goal and hey presto I have lost 17lbs it has taken me 18 months though. But I am back on track now with my eating habits.

But losing that weight has motivated me to keep going. The Arthritis has improved with the weight loss so the next step is to get back to the gym. I don't care what people think. This is not about them.

I have looked back at my food logs to remind myself what I was eating while I was losing and I remember how great I felt when I was lifting up heavy things.

You can do this, just one step at a time. Be kind to yourself, crap happens in our lives, we all have set backs at times.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it, we've all been there, some of us too many times to count. You're admitting that you want to do something to change, and that's huge. Give yourself a pat on the back and get started. You did it before, I'm sure you'll succeed. Glad you could join us
  • alancorey1979
    alancorey1979 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I felt the same as you. I lost 70 pounds on nutrisystem and as soon as I quit nutrisystem i resumed my old eating habits. I didnt learn a thing from that experience even though i should have. Then I tried it a second time and didnt fail per se but didnt succeed either. I lost 30 pounds that time. 3 weeks ago i was the heaviest I have ever been weighing in at 324 pounds. It is very very difficult to get into healthy eating habits when its more pleasurable to eat a big greasy cheeseburger with bacon and onions and tomatoes... and jalapeños than to have sex. Hahaha. Sad but true at least for me.

So instead of telling myself I’m destined to be fat or I can’t get motivated I found a picture of me 20 years ago when I was just shy of 215lbs and took a current picture before I got in the shower - currently 324 pounds and taped them to the mirror in my bathroom so it was the first thing I see everyday.

Thats my suggestion to you. Find a old picture of you when were thinner and take a picture now before you get the shower or something... just something so you can see all of you and not just your face or body covered up with baggy clothes. Tape those to the mirror and look at them everyday. The mind is an expert at rationalizing behavior and visual reminders are excellent sources of motivation
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's April 16. Everybody in the gym in April is awesome.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up, there's no shame it starting over, but there is shame in giving up entirely. Also, other people in the gym are paying far less attention than you think, don't let that bother you. Another alternative is to create your calorie deficit solely through nutrition and not to focus on exercise, it all depends on the type of goals you want to achieve.

Take this as an opportunity to examine and improve your mindset; what can you learn from having to start over?Rather than just trying to get yourself motivated to execute the plan you used before, build up positive habits that support your path when your motivation doesn't cut it and breaking the negative habits that got you back at this weight. When healthy behavior is supported by habit over motivation it will make your routine more resistant to gaining weight back in the future when trying to maintain. Make the path you want to follow the one of least resistance, that way you'll be more likely to stay on track even when you don't feel like it. This looks different for everyone and will be something you'll need to discover for yourself with some measure of trial and error.

Strategies I use:
    - pre-plan/log as much food as possible every day
    - I prefer to work out in the morning to keep other things from getting in the way in the afternoon/evening, though this might not fit your schedule; I've found it's what works best for me.
    - prepare my preworkout drink and layout my workout clothes with my work clothes every night, this makes it easier to roll out of bed when my alarm goes off at 5am
    - stay accountable when grocery shopping. My wife and I often grocery shop together; one of us is usually enough of an adult to tell the other not to put any variety of unhealthy indulgences into our cart.

Rather than just try to grind out the plan you used in the past, really think about what will get you where you want to be/feel/weigh, and what your lifestyle requisite to maintaining at that weight looks like. The reality for some is that there needs to be some measure of calorie/macro logging to maintain weight effectively. For others there are certain foods to avoid because they feel they can't control themselves around those items. Defining this more clearly for yourself will only continue to support a long-lasting successful plan this time.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    @alancorey1979 I knew something had changed for me the I watched a guy eating a giant pub burger and thought: YUK!

To OP: Did you really gain 55 lbs in 6 months? Not easy to do. Did you lose in a hurry? Maybe moderation. I know many people are dedicated to the gym/macro lifestyle but it is a lifestyle and takes a lot of work. Weight loss need not be that demanding.
  • alancorey1979
    alancorey1979 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Dont get me wrong @88olds I still love a cheeseburger with all the fixings... but eating a slider which what I do now is far from my past which have been the 1/2 pound monstrosity from Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Haha
  • LyndseyBlair2018
    LyndseyBlair2018 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It’s insane how self conscious we all are at the gym, I obsess about what to wear that covers up and stops the wobbly bits wobbling, but I genuinely notice very little about other gym users while I’m in there! I understand how you may feel self conscious having gained the weight back, especially if there are training buddies or friends there, but just telling yourself that they really don’t care and are there for themselves helps a little. I try to get really in the zone with my music before I go to the gym and it helps me to feel less conscious of myself x
  • CulleyWulley
    CulleyWulley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Almost similar story as mine. Last year I gained about 50 pounds (went from 200 to 247) and I was too embarrassed to pretty much go anywhere.

So I started my journey with Insanity Max:30 so I could be in the comfort of my own home and not let others see me. I’m regaining that confidence to soon be able to get back into the gym. I’ve dropped 12 pounds in the first month with this program! Ive also done a 5 day water fast after Christmas which detoxed my body which helped me lose weight as well. So since Christmas I’ve lost 26 pounds and now weigh 221. I’d like to get back to 200.

Don’t give up hope! I know it’s not easy. It’s hard to keep the motivation. I start everyday pulling up motivational videos on YouTube to get my day started.

“It’s not how hard you can hit, it’s how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. It’s how much you can take and keep going. That’s what winners do”

Best of luck on your journey Kelsey,

Cullen Calderon
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What if I told you that there is no horse? And that life always happens? Can you see yourself enjoying a lifestyle somewhere between macro counting, meal prepping and gym going, and sitting on the couch eating junk all day?
  • skinnyminikendra
    skinnyminikendra Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Me too! I felt like I was reading this about myself!
    We can do it girl! Find an accountability partner that will actually hold you accountable. I find that helps me stay motivated.

Good luck <3
  • alryan218
    alryan218 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can do it again...dont worry about people at the gym.
  • JaiRocket
    JaiRocket Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was so nervous and self conscious to go to the gym that it took me a month to actually set foot in there after I got my membership. What I learned is: No one was looking at me. No one even noticed me until I started saying "Good morning" to people. I still get self conscious some days, but I think that everyone is cheering for everyone else in their heads. And that's what I do, when I feel weak or like people can see things jiggling on me- I start to mentally cheer for everyone else in the gym. One by one. Then I mentally cheer for myself. Sounds dumb, but distracting yourself with positive thoughts can help.