What is circuit training?

Options
I saw it where you browse for exercises and was just wondering what exactly is it?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Generally, it's where there are several exercises that you perform - one after another. Hence, a "circuit." Sometimes, you'll repeat the circuit such that you perform each exercise 2 or 3 times.
  • jbrooks3645
    jbrooks3645 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Like pushups and sit ups? Or something like that?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Here are some examples...

https://www.brianmac.co.uk/circuit.htm
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Its endurance or resistance training using high-intensity for building strength or muscular endurance. Its usually no rest between exercises but resting 2-3 minutes in between sets when the circuit is repeated.

It can be body weight exercises, exercises that use dumbbells, etc.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    A good way to piss everybody off when you try to do them during prime time at the gym and tie up 5 different stations while you run around like a scalded monkey on crack. ;)

Some gyms, like PF, have an area for circuits. It's a legit way to train - but imo, best for a cardio type workout and less effective for strength or hypertrophy. However, all joking aside: please don't run a circuit during peak hours in a gym that doesn't have a dedicated area. If you do, don't get mad when someone hops onto your bench or you find some yoked bro squatting in the cage you left unattended for 10 minutes while you were doing lat pulldowns on the other side of the building.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Its endurance or resistance training using high-intensity for building strength or muscular endurance. Its usually no rest between exercises but resting 2-3 minutes in between sets when the circuit is repeated.

It can be body weight exercises, exercises that use dumbbells, etc.

To piggy back on this, many exercise videos like 30 Day Shred or the Firm are often classified as circuit training. They use light weights or no weights and have a bit of a cardio component.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP for asking the question - that just came up this weekend and I was wondering too!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You can easily make up your own using standard weight machines. Just pick a set of machines (or all of them) and go through them without stopping (more than once, if you can). Generally, you go for lighter weight at more reps, and you go in an order that allows alternate muscle groups to recover. It only works if the gym isn't very crowded. But: when I do it, I will just alter the sequence to get around someone else using a particular machine.