What foods do you always have on hand in your refrigerator / cupboards?

Options
I just moved into my first place on my own and am planning a big grocery trip later this week to stock up on staples. My refrigerator currently looks quite sad with its jar of pickles, Greek yogurt, kimchi, and Diet Coke (I've been eating a lot of takeout the last few days!).
I am just curious what foods you all tend to have on hand in your refrigerator / pantry at any given time. It will help me with my grocery list. :) Pictures or lists welcome.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I always have onions, garlic, jalapeno peppers, shredded cabbage, oats, nut butter, soy sauce, mustard, canned tomatoes, canned beans, olive oil, coconut oil, rice, raw cashews, hot sauce, mayo, and coffee. Everything else fluctuates, but if I've got those I know I can build a meal.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    In my fridge I have a constant supply of romaine, big fan of giant salads, and eggs. And usually some kind of fresh veggies that are in season, or whatever is on sale. Cottage cheese or yogurt, crescent rolls/french bread

Cabinets: canned tuna, rice (I keep jasmine and brown rice on hand, as well as spanish) I also like rice because I can make a batch in the rice cooker and save it for the week and eat it with various meal combinations, beans (dry or canned depending on if I feel like making my own) canned vegetables, potatoes, popcorn, cereal, oreos, canned fruit, salsa (great on eggs/omelette), onions, fresh garlic, bananas, protein powder.

Freezer: frozen veggies, buy whatever meat is super on sale and freeze (recently pork loin was buy one get one free making it about $1/lb so I got 4 and froze them for later, as an example), garlic bread, easy frozen meals or single serve pot pies for when I work late (love some chicken tenders and sweet potato fries), butternut squash (I always buy winter squash by the ton in fall and cook and freeze into bags that are a couple of servings each to save on time).

As many herbs and spices as I can get my hands on, if I'm making something that calls for it I'll just buy it, some of them can be expensive but in the long run having it for future use is great. Same with sauces. I make a lot of Asian dishes so I got soy sauce, mirrin sauce, sesame oil, etc in bulk.

these are foods for me that when I run out I restock immediately if possible.

I also keep snacks for work like: granola bars, protein bars, single serve bags of chips, oatmeal/grit packets. Things I can easily take with me out of the house.

Congrats on the new place!!!

***Edit to add: pretty much start with things you know you eat often and go from there. I have some staples and I always keep those things. Over time it expanded so now I grab a couple extra of things I make less often just so if the mood strikes I usually have everything I need to make whatever I'm wanting. Once you get started it's easy to grow so start with things you know you eat often.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    cheese
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I almost always have chicken, pasta, rice, cheese, some type of vegetable (usually broccoli), milk, peanut butter, bananas and yogurt.

I also keep canned tomatoes, canned tuna, chicken stock, various sauces (such as soy sauce) and things for baking.

I stock up on the items that I use a lot and then weekly I buy the things that I need for that weeks menu. I find that menu planning helps me know what groceries to buy for the week.

I would suggest figuring out the type of foods that you like to eat and cook and start stocking up on those foods.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What you should have on hand, depends on what you like to eat and make. I have an assortment of grains, crispbread, nuts and seeds, herbs and spices, sauces and condiments, canned tomatoes and beans, olives, dried beans and lentils, canned tuna, sardines, kippers, canned fruit. In fridge: fruit, vegs, milk, cheese, butter, mayo. In freezer: Berries, vegs, fish, meat. Basically.
  • Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's interesting to hear what other people consider staples. As someone who rarely cooks, this is super helpful. I'm not a picky eater and don't have strong opinions about what kind of foods to buy yet. I'm excited to be able to start cooking meals for myself instead of relying on Panera or the Whole Foods prepared foods section. :D
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Always have in the fridge...
    - milk
    - eggs
    - at least two different types of fresh vegetables (most commonly heads of cauliflower/broccoli/cabbage and bags of prewashed greens)
    - greek yogurt or cottage cheese
    - kerrygold butter
    - parmesan cheese

Usually have in the fridge...
    - meat
    - already prepped meat, soup, salad components, roasted veg
    - wholly guacamole snack cups
    - snack bags of cheese or cheese sticks
    - celery and carrots (for soups or, less often, prepped for snacks)
    - fruit (or on the counter)

Always have in the pantry...
    - olive oil
    - various vinegars
    - beans, so many beans
    - my favorite spices
    - nuts (type varies)
    - pasta
    - boxed stock

Usually have in the pantry...
    - sweet potatoes or regular potatoes
    - instant mashed potatoes
    - oatmeal
    - onions
    - jars/cans of roasted red peppers and artichokes
    - peanut butter

Always have in the freezer...
    - veg

Usually have in the freezer...
    - fruit
    - fish
    - prepped meals
    - steamable rice
    - ice cream, frozen fruit bars

These are my staples. I spend about $160-200 a month on groceries which is much less than I used to spend! (I used to let too much food go to waste, and I'd also buy more prepared foods.)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I always have onions, garlic, jalapeno peppers, shredded cabbage, oats, nut butter, soy sauce, mustard, canned tomatoes, canned beans, olive oil, coconut oil, rice, raw cashews, hot sauce, mayo, and coffee. Everything else fluctuates, but if I've got those I know I can build a meal.

To that I add barley, plain greek yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese, a variety of vinegars but the core is red wine and apple cider, honey, a selection of teas, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, and a bunch of obvious stuff I am probably forgetting.

I have a number of spices, herbs, and the like but making a good list for someone else is probably not a great idea.
  • adarbyem
    adarbyem Posts: 83 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My Basics:
    Protein bars (whatever variety I can get for around 200 calories with 20-30g of protein)
    Protein powder (GNC Pro Performance Whey isolate)
    Fish Oil with D3
    Vitamin D3 - 1000IU
    Multi-Vitamin
    Chicken Breast
    Fruits and Veggies with a decent shelf life (spinach, oranges, apples, tomatoes, etc...)
    Egg Beaters
    Eggs
    Chicken Sausage
    Adam's Natural Peanut Butter (Crunchy FTW)
    Sara Lee Delightful Bread (90 Calories for 2 slices)
    Oatmeal (Quick Oats)
    Agave Syrup
    Light and Fit Greek Yogurt, 80 Calorie cups
    Cottage Cheese
    Dry Roasted Peanuts
    Smokehouse Variety Almonds
    Almond Milk - Vanilla
    Coconut Water
    Sparkling Water
    Shredded "Mexican Style" Cheese
    Twining's Earl Grey Tea
    Coffee

That usually fits everything except dinner, I visit the grocery store every day after my workout (it's in the same parking lot as my gym) and buy whatever I need to cook my family a fresh meal every night.

My "Cheats":
    A Good IPA
    A Good Imperial Stout
    A Stouffer's Frozen Lasagna
    Popcorn
    Orville Redenbaucher's Butter flavored popping oil
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    theres a lot of these threads if you look

what i always have:
    chicken breasts
    salad stuff (lettuce, carrots, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber)
    condiments of various kinds
    deli meat
    eggs
    coffee creamer
    various cheeses
    salad dressings
    fruit (berries, melon)
    diet coke
    lemon water
    beer

what do i have in general in my pantries?
    peanut butter
    spices and herbs
    tortillas
    canned tomatoes
    baking supplies of every variety (i bake crap tons and give away what my fiance and son wont eat. i dont eat much of it)
    chicken stock
    cereal
    oatmeal
    nuts
    fruit on counter - apples, oranges, lemon, limes
    pasta (various kinds) and pasta sauce

freezer:
    meat from sales
    crap food for my son (pizza rolls, hot pockets, waffles, etc)
    frozen veg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have a main fridge in the kitchen with a freezer...another in the garage and a dedicated freezer and a walk in pantry. In other words, way to many to list.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Lots of stuff - but my main, can't do without, gotta have it staples:

Coffee
    Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt (various flavors)
    Dave's Killer Bread
    Eggs
    Egg whites (carton)
    Fairlife nonfat milk
    Fairlife whole milk (for coffee creamer)
    Deli cheese
    Deli meat
    Diet soda (usually cola and/or root beer)
    Tuna
    Frozen veggies (various)
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Flank steak
    Halo Top ice cream
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Frozen berries
    Rice milk
    Cereal
    Nuts
    Beans
    Sardines
    Quinoa
    Oreos
    Rice
    Bananas
    Leafy greens

For the last few months I've had a Little Debbie product of some sort in the cupboard. Hehe.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    How about a grocery list? This is a typical weekly list. Once a month or so, I hit the Costco for the list at the bottom.

ue0cys42rgsa.jpg
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Another staple for me is pickled ginger. It is not for me to cook with so much, although I have used it in salad dressings, but it is what I turn to when I am feeling queasy before hitting something I picked up at a drug store/drug aisle. It is the same stuff you get with your sushi normally.
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Tuna and yogurt, oh yeah, sardines too.ok
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    These are my must haves. I don’t care if I run out of everything else. I must have these on deck at all times.

Cottage cheese
    Frozen fruit
    Shirataki noodles
    Frozen veggies
    Stir fry sauce
    Shrimp
    Bottled water
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    After we moved, here is what I bought first:

Baking essentials (flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, cocoa, etc.)
    Cooking spray
    Oil
    Rice
    Canned tomatoes
    Dried beans and lentils
    Basic spices, whatever that means to you
    Bread
    Frozen veggies
    Shelf stable tofu
    Light soy milk
    Dark chocolate
    Condiments (soy sauce, ketchup, etc.--whatever you use)
    Vinegar
    Tea
    Pasta
    Protein powder
    Greek yogurt
    Fiber cereal
    A few quick frozen dinners to have in the freezer for busy evenings. After we had settled in, I made several batches of my usual freezable meals.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Pantry staples-
    Sweet potato, onions, garlic, ginger
    Brown rice, quinoa, rolled oats, red lentils, yellow split peas
    Wholemeal flour, plain flour, sugar, coffee
    Tinned lentils, chickpeas, butter beans, coconut milk, tomato - chopped/paste, peaches
    cuppa soups, nuts and seeds
    Kombucha

A few themed spices - curries, middle eastern, italian, mexican,

Fridge staples-
    eggs, milk, bread, butter, jam - honestly some weeks it's like that.
    An assortment of ready roasted veges e.g asparagus, sweet potato, broccoli/cauliflower, and usually a container of cooked rice/quinoa. Really depends on the menu plan and my self discipline.
    Oh and dried fruit - prunes, figs, dates

Freezer staples
    Mixed veges, steamfresh veg, cooked chickpeas, curry leaves, ready cooked meals - I usually make a big batch of dahl and freeze into portions.
    We do have meat of course, but I couldn't care less if we run out, so for me it's not a staple

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I find this thread fascinating.

Always:

Oatmeal
    Almond milk
    Frozen veggie mixes (veg only, no sauce)
    Frozen spinach
    Rice cakes
    Popcorn
    Potatoes
    Lemons
    Onions
    Fresh garlic
    Canned tomatoes
    Tomato paste
    Frozen meat (variety of types and cuts)
    Good quality cheddar cheese
    Saltine crackers
    A jar of nut butter.

Always for husband: eggs (I’m allergic) and rice and curry makings.

Lots of other stuff on the most of the time list.