Is being hungry every/most days an indication that you're in the right calorie deficit range?

Options
For those of you who have been accurately weighing and measuring your food and losing weight as a result, do you feel hungry throughout the day or do you feel satisfied? I'm wondering on days I may feel hungry or light headed, is it normal? Par for the course? Or should I up my calories? If I'm not hungry, I think I must be eating too much. I've been hitting my calorie goals and feeling fine? Is that fine???

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of low-calorie foods that fill me up, so I don't feel hungry most of the time. I generally feel hungry if:

1) I've gone a day or two significantly under my protein target
    2) I opted for a larger meal earlier and didn't have room/chose not to have a snack. (Doesn't need to be a high-calorie snack. Cherry tomatoes, a Fiber One bar, a piece of string cheese. I think there's definitely a psychological component; if I miss my snack I feel deprived even if the meal I had earlier had more calories than I would've normally had. It's more that I have an expectation that midway between lunch and supper, there will be something to eat, and if there isn't, I miss it.)

• jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I only get hungry if I'm eating too much "junk food" or if I've been working hard. Most days I eat and I'm full until the next meal. I do have the occasional craving but it's not hunger it's because I'm bored. Today I was starving after work and it was because I barely ate at that point. As long as I choose foods that keep me satiated I'm fine. If I decide to get McDonald's or eat a high carbs low protein I get hungry fairly soon after I eat. That's how it works for me at least.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Feeling hungry isn't necessarily a reliable indicator of calories consumed. You can easily eat a lot of calories worth of food that doesn't make you feel full. You can also eat large quantities of low-calorie foods and feel full without meeting your calorie goal.

If you feel lightheaded, something isn't right. It could be that you aren't eating enough calories, that you're not eating often enough, that you're not eating effectively for any workouts you're doing, or something else. Feeling lightheaded isn't a normal or acceptable consequence of cutting calories, but without more info, it's hard to say whether the problem is simply too few calories or something else.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    This guy has it right. Figure things out..you will fall off track if you're hungry all the time.
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    To me, being hungry every/most days either means you're eating too few calories or you're eating too many calorie-dense foods which aren't satisfying enough.

Nothing wrong with being hungry by mealtime, but if I was walking around hungry all day long I wouldn't have lasted a week.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    My hunger level does not correspond with my calorie intake.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Before being “on program”, I can honestly say that I don’t think I remember ever actually being hungry.

Whenever I legitimately track, I do get hungry. And depending on the macro’s, dictates how hungry I might get. I remember talking to a bariatric nutritionist and telling her that i was in reasonably good with tracking and was hungry all the time. She told me to increase my fiber intake. That actually helped A LOT. That, and making sure my protein numbers were up. I was told that if I focus on the protein, the fats/carbs wil take care of themselves, and have found that to be pretty accurate. Now I just include fiber in there, and I am not as hungry as often.

If I do end up being hungry, I look at the macros and try to make a good decision on where I can spend those calories....if I have to have protein or if I can actually have a carb or two along with the protein.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have been accurately weighing and measuring your food and losing weight as a result, do you feel hungry throughout the day or do you feel satisfied?

can't claim to ever have been the most accurate weigher or measurer - but i did lose weight as per plan so I must of been eating at around correct calorie level.

No I didnt feel hungry throughout the day - I felt mildly hungry before meals, and sometimes bit peckish between and a snack would fix that - that's all.

Me personally - if I dont eat breakfast i feel hungry in a nauseous sort of way by late morning, and at work i dont go to lunch till 1:00 so that is a problem. That is regardless of how much calories I am eating though.