Just started, having Keto confusion.

Options
xMikeh
xMikeh Posts: 12 Member
I'm trying to read as many guides and stuff as I can but I'm still kind of lost. I did the keto calculator and I've got all my goal stuff down, but now it's onto finding meals, right? So, I'm about a week in, I haven't been eating much, I wish I could give exacts but it took me some time to figure out MFP. I've been sticking to a mostly meat diet, and am now kind of branching out and trying new things, I notice a lot of recipes for keto involve coconut, cool.. I love coconut.

I made this Coconut baked chicken, and MFP says it has a lot more carbs in it than I'd expect. When attempting to google this, some people say stuff like "net carbs" and things like that, I don't understand what they mean completely, I can't tell how much fiber is in these. x:

ALSO! How in the word do I fill this many calories having cut out all the normal foods I eat! Is it fat bombs? I don't get it.

Replies

• YogaPantsUser
    YogaPantsUser Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Net carbs are carb number - fiber number. So avocado is maybe 11 carbs - 8 fiber in avocado = 3 net carbs.

Fill in calories with butter or oils. Add tablespoons of butter or oils into your meals.

Protein is moderate, not high.

Some people do fat bombs. I don't.

That should answer some of your questions. Try to log your meals for a while and add fats to all of your meals so it's not an overload at the end. Some do coffee with added butter and other oils.
  • xMikeh
    Options

I tried the butter in coffee. I couldn't do it, the texture was really odd, haha.

One issue I have is I am just... not a vegetable eater, and it seems a lot can come from that. So far for the most part I'm eating very simple meat only bland meals, eggs, bacon, I bought this low carb bread and almond butter, but that's about the extent beyond the meal I tried today.
  • YogaPantsUser
    YogaPantsUser Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We eat lots of veggies. Tonight's meal was 4 pieces of bacon and a package of scallops plus two heads of broccoli split by two of us. I normally would add 2 tablespoons of butter to it but didn't tonight. This was also much higher in protein than we eat. Typically we eat a lot of veggies and keep the carb/protein lower. I'm sure you'll figure it out in your own way. I noticed ketoers eat many different ways.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I suggest you check out the following low carber daily forum group. It's a very large, very active group here in MFP where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • sugarnspice0613
    sugarnspice0613 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil and heavy whipping cream in my coffee. Having the oil in there took some getting used to on my end, but once I got used to it, I love it and find it super satisfying. I don’t restrict my carbs to the extent some people do so I’ll eat plain Greek yogurt with berries. I use frozen and warm them up in the microwave along with a tbsp of coconut oil and allow them to cool before throwing them in my yogurt. I make tuna fish salad with mayonnaise, lots of relish, and drizzle in a tablespoon of olive oil.
  • xMikeh
    Options
    Danp wrote: »

Quite the opposite actually, I love the foods in the keto, besides the vegetables. xD That's the only thing I'm not a fan of. I've tried other diets before and failed, so far I'm a week into this one and don't want to stop, I want to fine tune it. I think that speaks miles for the diet itself in my book.
  • xMikeh
    Options
    I'm gonna keep myself strict! Tonight I'll try the coconut oil instead of butter in the coffee, maybe that'll go better.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    That's great and if you're enjoying it definitely stick it out and make it work.

I'm kinda envious of people who are organised and disciplined enough to follow an eating program like that. It was always too much counting and calculating for me and also too many don'ts haves and can'ts have for me to realistically eat that way for the rest of my life.

Even pre-prepping meals once a week was a no-go for me as I'm pretty impulsive and usually don't know what I want to eat until that day or even that moment so I'd have a weeks worth of meals prepared getting frost bitten in the freezer because I won't feel like eating that food that day =)

In the end I just admitted that I wasn't suited to any eating pattern that required eliminating or restricting a particular type of food would never work for me so I just decided to keep it simple and eat anything as long as I stayed in calorie deficit. That I know I can do forever
  • TurnThePage55
    TurnThePage55 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I try and incorporate veggies into my dishes by making stir fry, omelets with veggies, chef salads and gumbo type dishes. Try out new spices to add flavor.
  • cherberube
    cherberube Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How do you even do the keto thing and update your macronutrients? I don't even see a pie chart with my macros.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    cherberube wrote: »
    How do you even do the keto thing and update your macronutrients? I don't even see a pie chart with my macros.

It's in the nutrition tab in your diary. You can adjust your macro goals in the side menu in Goals.
  • SimplyAdia
    SimplyAdia Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I found that if you mix the butter in the coffee well, it's really not bad. I use butter (real butter, not margarine), a table spoon of heavy whipping cream, MCT oil (get some if you don't have any!) and sugar free syrup. I have a mini hand blender that I keep at my desk at work (got it from Amazon) and I mix it that way. It creates a nice foam that reminds me of Starbucks.

It took awhile to change my tastes. Now that I haven't had sugar in 2 weeks, things like those flavored sparkling water drinks taste so good to me. I make my own whip cream using heavy whipping cream and the sweetener Swerve. Dark chocolate as well!